Windows 10: Creating System / OS Image in Win 10 Pro

Discus and support Creating System / OS Image in Win 10 Pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am looking to create a system image for Windows 10 (the drive the OS / programs are installed on only). I am reading this tutorial and was a bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Flogger23m, May 26, 2017.

1. Creating System / OS Image in Win 10 Pro

I am looking to create a system image for Windows 10 (the drive the OS / programs are installed on only). I am reading this tutorial and was a bit confused on a few things:

How to create an image backup in Windows 10 and restore it, if need be | PCWorld

First, I don't have an empty drive. But I do have back up drives with enough spare space for an image of Drive C. Can I make an image of Drive C and place it on Drive D without touching any of the data on that drive?

Secondly, after I make some hardware changes and confirm they work, I'd like to delete the image to regain the space. How exactly would I go about doing this?

And is the Image utility built into Windows 10 perfectly fine, or are there better free alternatives?

:)

Flogger23m, May 26, 2017

2. System Image

Just create a folder on your D drive and call it something like Windows 7 image. Move the Win 7 image folder into that and the Win 10 image Won't overwrite it. I did this on all my systems so that I had a 7 backup incase something bad happened when upgrading.

David Vair, May 26, 2017
  3. Help With Creating System Image. Win 10 Pro 64 Bit.

I have but it has not generated an answer

ChunkyTyres, May 26, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Creating System / OS Image in Win 10 Pro

Any imaging software will let you create an image to any drive, DVD, network location USB etc. Using compression it's a lot smaller than the drive. It just creates a file which can simply be deleted like any file. Magnum is one of the most used free imaging there are lots of free ones better than Windows that let you create a bootable disk to restore. All right a file so don't effect anything on the disk

Samuria, May 26, 2017
  5. SIW2 Win User
  6. I'll probably give that a try. To restore an imagine made via Aomei, must I use the program or will Win 10 be able to read / restore the file on its own?

Flogger23m, May 26, 2017
  7. Mooly Win User
    Image files are generally only usable by the program that created them.

Windows own imaging is absolutely fine, in fact its better than many seem to admit. You delete an image simply by right clicking the file and deleting (as you would any other file). The only additional thing to do is to make sure you run a normal disk clean-up and ensure you delete any shadow copies. These are 'invisible' files that Windows would use to reinstate a whole sequence of images where you pick the one you want. Its only two seconds of a job to delete them, if you don't then you don't recover all the space back, that's all.

Mooly, May 27, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

This forum's favourite is Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

You can store image on other drives without affecting data.

It is a bad plan to store image on a different partition on same drive as c partition in case drive fails.

Equally not a good plan to delete backed up image for same reason i.e. drive with C partition fails.

An external drive is a better idea in case you get ransomware.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Creating System / OS Image in Win 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Creating System Image

2. create system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    create system image: just updated to win 8.1 difficulty in find how to do a system image for future recovery. What am I missing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image/97d4d168-ad0f-4b73-9126-deada0a14ede
  3. create system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    create system image: I just got a new HP laptop with Windows 10 installed. How do i create system image or repair disc so i can reload Windows if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image/85580817-ed8a-415b-8225-143159961fff
  4. Create system image

Create system image: I have heard roumors that the function "Create System Image" that is included in Windows 10 will be removed soon. Can anyone tell me when Microsoft intends to remove this function from Windows 10? Kind regards...
  5. Create System Image

Create System Image: Hi there I am trying to create a system image of my primary drive. This includes 3 partitions: EFI System Partition, System C: and a hidden recovery partition. The problem is that in drives selection page I don't see the recovery partition as you can see in the photo....
  6. Creating a system image

Creating a system image: Hi, I wanted to create a system image . I have some screen shots for the issue.Note that this has not been an issue before 2004 version. As you can see in the screen shots "Back up and Restore" includes D: in system but in the computer management it is not a...
  7. CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE

CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE: Trying to create a system image for my Windows 10 desktop to a usb 3.0 flash drive formatted for NTFS as required. Receiving an error message "the drive is not a valid backup location". Can anyone help?...
  8. Create a System Image

Create a System Image: I have a Dell Latitude E6540 running Windows10. I am trying to create a System Image. I am trying to put it on a external hard drive. I have an older Seagate 500GB hard drive that I put into a Sabrent USB 3.0 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Aluminum Enclosure. I open the control panel...
  9. Create a System Image

Create a System Image: THE RPC SERVER IS UNAVAILABLE. [0x800706BA] How to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/create-a-system-image/95446696-2248-4748-ae35-8e3c4b340128
  10. Creating a System Image

Creating a System Image: When I try to create a system immage, it starts then error 0x800706ba appears and it stops https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/creating-a-system-image/9877495c-d9a8-47dd-8847-de3fb145c981