Windows 10: Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning)

Discus and support Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have a 250 GB SSD that I just installed Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.329 on. I'd like to create a new, 20 GB partition of unallocated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Greasy Gorilla, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning)

Hi,

I have a 250 GB SSD that I just installed Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.329 on. I'd like to create a new, 20 GB partition of unallocated space at the end of this drive. However, it appears that during installation, the Windows 10 setup created a 500 MB recovery partition at the end of the C: partition. I'm familiar with this recovery partition (i.e. I know what it does), but I'd like to not have it at the end of the disk; instead, I'd like to have some unallocated space at the end of the disk.

The current order of the partitions is:
    1. EFI
    2. C:
    3. Recovery
    I downloaded and installed GParted, and used it to create a 20 GB unallocated space by shrinking the C: partition. However, this unallocated space gets created immediately after C:, and not at the end of the disk, as I need it to be. In other words, the 500 MB recovery partition is getting in the way! I'd like to reorder the partitions.

I thought to use GParted to moved the 20 GB unallocated space to the end of the disk, but when I did that, GParted raised a warning message about moving system partitions that could render Windows unable to boot. Daunted, I canceled that operation and then removed the 20 GB unallocated space. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a screenshot of the exact warning message. Although now I'm thinking that I didn't even touch the EFI boot partition, only the recovery partition. Would it be safe to move the recovery partition to before C: and not after?

Here's a screenshot showing my current partition order:

Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning) [​IMG]

The red arrows show one possible solution: I could swap the order of the C: partition and the recovery partition. Then, when I shrink C: and create my 20 GB unallocated space, that unallocated space will, by default, get created behind C:. Is it safe to swap the order of C: and recovery?

Another solution is to create the 20 GB unallocated space (which is straightfoward), but then move it to the end of the drive. So I'd essentially have the order become:

1. EFI
    2. C:
    3. Recovery
    4. 20 GB Unallocated
    Is it safe to have unallocated space after the recovery partition like this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

:)

Greasy Gorilla, Jun 14, 2020

2. Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning)

Hi,

I have a 250 GB SSD that I just installed Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.329 on. I'd like to create a new, 20 GB partition of unallocated space at the end of this drive. However, it appears that during installation, the Windows 10 setup created a 500 MB recovery partition at the end of the C: partition. I'm familiar with this recovery partition (i.e. I know what it does), but I'd like to not have it at the end of the disk; instead, I'd like to have some unallocated space at the end of the disk.

The current order of the partitions is:
    1. EFI
    2. C:
    3. Recovery
    I downloaded and installed GParted, and used it to create a 20 GB unallocated space by shrinking the C: partition. However, this unallocated space gets created immediately after C:, and not at the end of the disk, as I need it to be. In other words, the 500 MB recovery partition is getting in the way! I'd like to reorder the partitions.

I thought to use GParted to moved the 20 GB unallocated space to the end of the disk, but when I did that, GParted raised a warning message about moving system partitions that could render Windows unable to boot. Daunted, I canceled that operation and then removed the 20 GB unallocated space. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a screenshot of the exact warning message. Although now I'm thinking that I didn't even touch the EFI boot partition, only the recovery partition. Would it be safe to move the recovery partition to before C: and not after?

Here's a screenshot showing my current partition order:

The red arrows show one possible solution: I could swap the order of the C: partition and the recovery partition. Then, when I shrink C: and create my 20 GB unallocated space, that unallocated space will, by default, get created behind C:. Is it safe to swap the order of C: and recovery?

Another solution is to create the 20 GB unallocated space (which is straightfoward), but then move it to the end of the drive. So I'd essentially have the order become:

1. EFI
    2. C:
    3. Recovery
    4. 20 GB Unallocated
    Is it safe to have unallocated space after the recovery partition like this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Greasy Gorilla, Jun 15, 2020
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Moving Unallocated Disk Space to End of Disk

Was commenting on the pic in post #21. Not suggesting anything. It just looked like the step you were doing was incomplete.

f14tomcat, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning)

Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning)

GParted has a "Resize/Move" option as shown below:

However, "Resize/Move" is greyed out if it is an unallocated space as shown below:

Matthew Wai, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning)

1. Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning) - Similar Threads - Creating Unallocated Space

2. The disk space is showing unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The disk space is showing unallocated space.: While i was checking it is showing 5 mb unallocated is this right .i have 1 tb hdd is it good to show 931 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-disk-space-is-showing-unallocated-space/82fc8895-87f0-4ea5-bcd6-a761f8b71540
  3. The disk space is showing unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The disk space is showing unallocated space.: While i was checking it is showing 5 mb unallocated is this right .i have 1 tb hdd is it good to show 931 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-disk-space-is-showing-unallocated-space/82fc8895-87f0-4ea5-bcd6-a761f8b71540
  4. Unallocated disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unallocated disk space: [ATTACH] After installing Windows 10 Pro for the first time I notice that I'm missing disk D. I tried ''New Simple Volume'' on unallocated disk but doesn't work. I would appreciate your help. Thanks!...
  5. How to move unallocated disk space between partitions

How to move unallocated disk space between partitions: I have used up almost all of the space on my C: Drive and have plenty of storage in my F: Drive however after make Unallocated space from the F: Drive on Disk 2 I can't extend my C: Drive on Disk 0. Is there a way, without having to use 3rd party software, to move the...
  6. Disk Partition Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Partition Unallocated Space: [ATTACH]Hi team, I recently tried installing windows 7 and during installation, I got the message that Windows can't get installed on the selected disk due to MBR style. I converted the MBR style to GPT style by allocating 100Gb to selected Disk 0. Now after...
  7. Unallocated Disk Space

Unallocated Disk Space: I recently bought a small laptop to do admin work while out-of-town. The computer came in with a 100 MB partition allocated to Recovery. That didn't leave me enough room for a Windows upgrade. There was nothing in the partition so I created an external Recovery, deleted the...
  8. Windows 10 Disk Partition Unallocated Space

Windows 10 Disk Partition Unallocated Space: How do I get my unallocated space to the C drive. (see attached picture) I can't expand the C partition because its grayed out. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-disk-partition-unallocated-space/0fdfabb6-2221-4dcb-a4e0-bc2a51ce8917"
  9. Moving Unallocated Disk Space to End of Disk

Moving Unallocated Disk Space to End of Disk: In preparation of installing an Intel Optane Memory Module one of the requirements(see attached requirements) is to have an unallocated space of at least 5MB at the end of the disk. Currently I have 550MB of unallocated space on the drive I will be using the Intel Optane...
  10. Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space

Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space: Hello, I just assembled a new PC. It has a single 4TB hard drive. During Windows 10 installation, I created a 200gb partition to install to as the C: drive. It auto partitioned my drive into a 500MB system reserved partition, my C: drive, and two unallocated spaces of...