Windows 10: Creating USB Recovery Drive

Discus and support Creating USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Created a recovery drive on build 9879. Went to create one for build 9926, option check box is grayed out and it states that key files are missing. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wptski, Feb 4, 2015.

1. wptski Win User

Creating USB Recovery Drive

Created a recovery drive on build 9879. Went to create one for build 9926, option check box is grayed out and it states that key files are missing. The folder is there with the image so I'm not sure about missing files.

I had several BSODs after the initial install but that problem was corrected but I'm not sure if that's the reason for this or not. I have no intention to restore from this medium but only would use the USB drive to get to WinRE options but wonder what the issue is.

:)

wptski, Feb 4, 2015
  2. Swapna S Win User

can i make recovery drive from the same PC in a pendrive TWICE?

Hi Krutik,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing in creating USB/pendrive recovery drive on same PC.

As per you question,

Yes, you can create USB recovery drive on same PC.

Please refer below Microsoft Article in creating USB recovery drive it applies to Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...3a5-a286-9e98f886d490/create-a-recovery-drive

Note: Creating a recovery drive will erase anything already stored on your USB flash drive. Use an empty USB flash drive or make sure to transfer any important data from your USB flash drive to another storage
    device before using it to create a USB recovery drive.

Please get back to us, if you still facing any issues in creating USB/pendrive recovery drive on same PC.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Feb 4, 2015
  3. Sachin Venkatesh Win User
    Create Recovery USB Wizard does not recognize my USB drive - Dell Workstation with Windows 10 Professional

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

• What is the capacity of the USB device and what is the size of the recovery image which you are trying to create?
    To create a recovery drive, you'll need an external USB drive formatted to FAT32, with enough available storage space for all your recovery data.

Creating a recovery drive will erase anything that’s stored on your USB drive. Make sure to transfer any important data from your USB drive to another storage device before using that USB drive to create a recovery drive.

I suggest you to reformat the device to FAT32 and check creating the recovery drive if the issue resolves.

Reference: Create a recovery drive

Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 4, 2015
Thema:

Creating USB Recovery Drive

1. Creating USB Recovery Drive - Similar Threads - Creating USB Recovery

2. How to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive: I want to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive (a bit under 8 GB) I created. I want to do it because it was extremely slow (~2 h) to create the Recovery Drive and I also want to make a backup of the Recovery Drive in case both my C: corrupts and the USB stick...
  3. Usb Recovery Drive

Usb Recovery Drive: Hi My pc won't boot and i create a usb recovery drive from my laptop. I plug the recovery flash drive to my pc and able to boot it up. I tried to access the system restore and it shows a couple of restore points. My question is does these restore points from my desktop...
  4. USB recovery drive

USB recovery drive: Windows 10 , create recovery drive, is requesting I insert at least a 32 gb usb drive yet when recovery drive is complete [with system files] windows only used 11 gb. This is not necessarily a problem except I have several extra 16 gb usb drives which I would like to use....
  5. Create both a USB Recovery drive & a bootable flash drive overkill?

in Windows 10 Support
    Create both a USB Recovery drive & a bootable flash drive overkill?: Is it overkill to create both a USB Recovery drive and a bootable flash drive to install Win10? HP 2000 laptop. Win10 Home (x64). 1.60 GHz AMD E-350. 320 GB HDD. 4/8 GB RAM I recently revitalized my friends HP 2000 laptop. Win10 Home (x64). 1.60 GHz AMD E-350. 4 GB RAM...
  6. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create recovery drive: I'm running Win 10 Version 1211 (build 10586.11) - i.e. the latest build with the latest update. I want to create a new recovery drive but when I get to the window that says "Connect a USB Flash Drive" and the process comes to a dead stop. -I'm using the same 16GB thumb...
  7. Can't create Recovery Drive

Can't create Recovery Drive: Win 10 is running fine, but I wanted to create a Recovery Drive just in case. In the search bar I typed "RecoveryDrive.exe" and pressed enter. UAC popped up and I replied. The first recovery screen popped up. I accepted defaults on screen and selected Next. Next screen...
  8. Can't create a recovery drive.

Can't create a recovery drive.: I've tried sfc / scannow, reinstalling windows, working with windows help desk, and computer manufacturer. Nothing works. I've tried different USB keys always larger than 16 gb. I've searched a lot of Internet sites. Any suggestions? 57833
  9. Creating a Recovery Drive USB

Creating a Recovery Drive USB: I have recently updated to Version 1511 and thought I would try to create a recovery drive on a USB having been unsuccessful when trying in the earlier Windows 10. This time it seemed to be working with the system files box checked, though it seemed to take an age before the...
  10. Cannot Create Recovery USB

Cannot Create Recovery USB: I have a handful of questions and issues with "Create Recovery Drive" 1. How dose Windows 10 Recovery disk work? When I first tried to create a recovery drive, it specifies the drive size I would need. One said I would need a USB that would take up to 8GB, the other...