Windows 10: Creating USB Recovery Drive

Discus and support Creating USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Created a recovery drive on build 9879. Went to create one for build 9926, option check box is grayed out and it states that key files are missing. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wptski, Feb 4, 2015.

1. wptski Win User

Creating USB Recovery Drive

Created a recovery drive on build 9879. Went to create one for build 9926, option check box is grayed out and it states that key files are missing. The folder is there with the image so I'm not sure about missing files.

I had several BSODs after the initial install but that problem was corrected but I'm not sure if that's the reason for this or not. I have no intention to restore from this medium but only would use the USB drive to get to WinRE options but wonder what the issue is.

:)

wptski, Feb 4, 2015
  2. Swapna S Win User

can i make recovery drive from the same PC in a pendrive TWICE?

Hi Krutik,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing in creating USB/pendrive recovery drive on same PC.

As per you question,

Yes, you can create USB recovery drive on same PC.

Please refer below Microsoft Article in creating USB recovery drive it applies to Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...3a5-a286-9e98f886d490/create-a-recovery-drive

Note: Creating a recovery drive will erase anything already stored on your USB flash drive. Use an empty USB flash drive or make sure to transfer any important data from your USB flash drive to another storage
    device before using it to create a USB recovery drive.

Please get back to us, if you still facing any issues in creating USB/pendrive recovery drive on same PC.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Feb 4, 2015
  3. Create Recovery USB Wizard does not recognize my USB drive - Dell Workstation with Windows 10 Professional

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

• What is the capacity of the USB device and what is the size of the recovery image which you are trying to create?
    To create a recovery drive, you'll need an external USB drive formatted to FAT32, with enough available storage space for all your recovery data.

Creating a recovery drive will erase anything that’s stored on your USB drive. Make sure to transfer any important data from your USB drive to another storage device before using that USB drive to create a recovery drive.

I suggest you to reformat the device to FAT32 and check creating the recovery drive if the issue resolves.

Reference: Create a recovery drive

Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 4, 2015
Thema:

Creating USB Recovery Drive

1. Creating USB Recovery Drive - Similar Threads - Creating USB Recovery

2. Create recovery drive process is not finding USB thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create recovery drive process is not finding USB thumb drive: I'm attempting to create a recovery drive, following the instructions here. This process has worked fine until my most recent attempt earlier this week.If I leave the 'Back up system files to the recovery drive' box checked, the process does not detect my thumb drive, only my...
  3. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  4. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  5. creating a recovery usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    creating a recovery usb: Hi, I am trying to put a recovery of windows 10 to a new 32gb usb stick. I am running the latest version of windows. The desktop pc recognizes the usb but the recovery option does not, I just get the green progress bar going along the 'window'. I have tried disabling the anti...
  6. Creating a recovery usb

Creating a recovery usb: Hi there, I want to upgrade from windows 10 v1909 to v2004. So i decided to create a recovery drive so that i can clean install the os if my update fails. I have created a recovery usb drive using "create recovery drive" option in windows, when i was running in windows 10...
  7. Unable to create USB Flash Recovery drive

Unable to create USB Flash Recovery drive: I bought a licence from the Microsoft store so my Windows 10 is legit. When I try to create a USB flash drive Recovery, I get the error that some files are missing so the Recovery could not be created. Help please....
  8. Problem in creating usb recovery drive

Problem in creating usb recovery drive: I am not able to create the recovery drive on my PC running Windows 10, through the preinstalled recovery drive tool. Each time it gives me a failure message after 10-15 minutes of working. How can I create the usb recovery drive now? Someone please help. Thanks...
  9. Creating a USB Recovery Drive

Creating a USB Recovery Drive: Hi I have a question about creating a USB Recovery Drive on a memory stick with Recovery Drive Desktop App in Windows 10. I've read online that a recovery drive should be remade following Windows Updates, and about once a month in order to retain your Windows settings....
  10. Creating a Recovery Drive USB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creating a Recovery Drive USB: I have recently updated to Version 1511 and thought I would try to create a recovery drive on a USB having been unsuccessful when trying in the earlier Windows 10. This time it seemed to be working with the system files box checked, though it seemed to take an age before the...