Windows 10: Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

Discus and support Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a TB to choose from and I Made it 1,000,000,000,000,000TB to see if it was a 1,000YB which I went online to see how much it was and it said 1000... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Daniel John, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

I have a TB to choose from and I Made it 1,000,000,000,000,000TB to see if it was a 1,000YB which I went online to see how much it was and it said 1000 that is 1,000 YB but on my computer, after it was formatting it said 1024.98 GB and then I thought to my self boy that didn't work because I looked it up in windows explorer and it said 0.99 GB then I thought like wow that broke the fact that even if how much of a TB I can get to it wont make it a YB or a ZB depending on how much I make it. Am I right or why didn't it work for me?

:)

Daniel John, Aug 14, 2020
  2. Noor_Azam Win User

Unable to create virtual hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you are trying to create a virtual machine, you can try creating a virtual hard disk manually by using PowerShell command and check if that helps.

Please follow the steps mentioned below to create virtual hard disk.

• Type PowerShell in the Windows start menu.
    • Right click on PowerShell and select run as administrator.
    • Please enter this command New-VHD "C:\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\Drive1.vhdx" –size 60GB –dynamic
      and hit enter key. (Note: you can change the size of the virtual hard drive according to your requirement)
    • Open Disk Management.
    • Click on Action and select
      Attach VHD.​
    • Click on Browser and navigate to the location
      C:\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines and select drive1 and click on
      Open.​
    • Click on OK.​
    • Now, right click on Disk 1 and select
      Initialize Disk.​
    • Select the Type of partition you want to use and click on
      OK.​
    • Now, right click on unallocated space and click on
      New Simple Volume.​
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to assign a
      drive letter.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in TechNet
    forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge to create virtual machines.

Hope it helps.

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Noor_Azam, Aug 14, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Compacting virtual hard disks

We must have totally different working methods Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD :)

Let's see what I told to be my workflow, and check how that works in reality. Example W10 x64 VM is one I have used for ESDtoISO and UUPtoISO testing, a clean installed build 15048 with no additional software installed, upgraded several times to builds 15055, 15058, 15060 and 15061, always restored back to clean 15048. This has of course caused the VHD size to grow to multiple times what really is needed.

After the above, checking file sizes. Macrium image was made when the original 64 GB dynamically expanding VHD was 34.5 GB:

Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD [​IMG]

Macrium image size just under 5 GB:

After restoring Macrium image to a new dynamically expanding VHD, file size is 9.3 GB. Over two thirds smaller than original one:

The same as seen by File Explorer, yellow highlight is the original VHD, start situation, and green highlight the new VHD where Macrium image from old VHD was restored. Old VHD can now be deleted, net storage save savings over 25 GB in this example case:

(Notice that VHD has already grown over 0.5 GB since the previous screenshot a few minutes earlier. This is because in previous screenshot VM was not started yet after restoring the image.)
    This of course is all logical, happens every time.

4. Drone Win User

Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

VHD to virtual PC

What does it mean? *Confused Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD :confused: VHD is a hard drive of a virtual machine which (by default) can be opened by Microsoft Virtual PC

Drone, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

1. Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD - Similar Threads - Creating Virtual Hard

2. Stuck in Creating a Virtual Hard Disk Window Hyper-V.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in Creating a Virtual Hard Disk Window Hyper-V.: I have an external hard disk. I am trying to create shared virtual hard disk in it with Hyper-V. Whenever I select the VHDSet option; the bar is stuck at %100. This situation is not different in Powershell too....
  3. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??: I don't understand, I thought download a file into a VHD means the file takes space from VHD, but, when I download a file it takes space both 2 hard disk with a same file size it takesExample: Download 1GB file = C: disk minus 1GB and the VHD minus 1GB.Now my question is: How...
  4. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??: I don't understand, I thought download a file into a VHD means the file takes space from VHD, but, when I download a file it takes space both 2 hard disk with a same file size it takesExample: Download 1GB file = C: disk minus 1GB and the VHD minus 1GB.Now my question is: How...
  5. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Failed to create the virtual hard disk on the disk from a different PC.

Failed to create the virtual hard disk on the disk from a different PC.: Hi everyone who create this post, I have problem about when I try to create the virtual hard disk by VMWare. I have failed about create the virtual hard disk for the other PC. My PC and Laptop is related together, so 2 devices can trade the data together by using "map network...
  7. Failed to create the virtual hard disk on the disk from a different PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to create the virtual hard disk on the disk from a different PC.: Hi everyone who create this post, I have problem about when I try to create the virtual hard disk by VMWare. I have failed about create the virtual hard disk for the other PC. My PC and Laptop is related together, so 2 devices can trade the data together by using "map network...
  8. Failed to create the virtual hard disk on the disk from a different PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason

VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason: Hey community, i've recently recovered Virtual hard disk that I forgot I had. Given the fact I am dangerously low on storage, I am now planning on using this for games and other personal files. I am now currently running the installer for a game and the VHD keeps closing...
  10. How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you different ways using which you can natively mount or unmount VHD and VHDX virtual hard disk files in Windows 10. VHD and VHDX files cannot be mounted from removable media that isn’t formatted [...] This post How to Mount or...