Windows 10: Creator broke my network connections

Discus and support Creator broke my network connections in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; in 1607 I had 4 devices, 2 laptops, 2 desktops. One desktop is a server of sorts, not running server s/w. All others could connect to it. Upgrade to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ruggb, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ruggb Win User

Creator broke my network connections

in 1607 I had 4 devices, 2 laptops, 2 desktops. One desktop is a server of sorts, not running server s/w.
    All others could connect to it.
    Upgrade to Creator (Nothing else changed) and now no one can talk to the server. one laptop show it, the other does not. If I click on it or enter a UNC for it and it will say it is "unavailable. You might not have permission......"
    When one of the other devices was upgraded it could still talk to the server. When I upgraded the server is when the connection broke. All access the inet fine. The others can access one another if I enter the logon credentials for that unit.

Where do I start???????

:)

ruggb, Apr 10, 2017
  2. Hero1318 Win User

Can't change lock screen image in windows 10

Never did get to change the lock screen image, even though I can select any of them on the settings screen and the selected image appears in the preview box.

I eventually disabled showing the lock screen image on my sign-in screen, so all it shows now is my user name against a gray background with the sign-in button.

For whatever reason, disabling the image on the sign-in screen now lets my laptop connect automatically to my default WiFi network. With the image showing on the sign-in screen, it doesn't connect automatically to the network even though that network is
    marked as "connect automatically".

So I gave up the lock screen image on the sign-in screen to get WiFi auto connect working.

I could change the lock screen image in the original Creators Update, but it wouldn't connect to WiFi automatically. (Both worked in the Anniversary Update.) So now they broke BOTH settings in the Fall Creators Update.

At this rate nothing will be working in the next Windows 10 update.... Creator broke my network connections :eek:(

Hero1318, Apr 10, 2017
  3. Lilla45 Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Update issues

Does this computer use a Broadcom 440x 10-100 internal controller (LAN/Ethernet). If so, please know that Microsoft has acknowledged a problem in the Creators Update with respect to this device and they are working to resolve it. In the mean time there is
    a workaround. For details, see the thread below...

Windows 10 Creators Update broke my LAN port

Windows 10 Creators Update broke my LAN port

See my post on April 13 (by ) for workaround.

See Microsoft's post on April 14 (by
    Travis [MSFT]
    ) acknowledging problem with Broadcom 440x.

Hope this helps,

Lilla

Lilla45, Apr 10, 2017
  4. me75006 Win User

is Network Discovery 'on' ?

Network and Sharing Center
    -Advanced sharing settings
    --Turn on network discovery

me75006, Apr 10, 2017
  5. ruggb Win User
    yes, yes, yes, yes and all are in the same workgroup
    I just set the main desktop (#1) as master browser. It only sees the laptops #2 and #3 and can connect to #2, but #3 is not accessible. When I look at Homegroup it says that I have been invited to join a homegroup. It does not say who set it up. A homegroup was previously setup on this unit in 1607. Unfortunately, I have lost that p/w so I can't try joining it.

#2 shows all network devices and can connect to the NAS, a printer, and itself. clicking on #1 or #3 give a not accessible response. Clicking on desktop #4 says I entered the name wrong (NOT). When I click on homegroup, it says that #1 has setup a homegroup and gives me the option to join it.

#3 laptop shows just the 2 laptops and can connect to the #2 laptop, but clicking on itself gives "This folder is empty". It gives the same response on Homegroup as does #1, but no homegroup was ever setup on this device.

#4 desktop shows #2 and #3 only and can connect to #3 with credentials, but not #2. That may be because there is no p/w for that computer. But all the rest don't even give the sign in box for it. Homegroup says that #1 has set up a homegroup and I can join.

all updates were from 1607 14393 9...something and done in place.

ruggb, Apr 11, 2017
  6. ruggb Win User
    I turned off all the computers except the master desktop. Now when I open homegroup it is saying that it created a homegroup and there is a join button there. I found my pw but it doesn't work. So I guess this upgrade is going to turn into a clean install.

ruggb, Apr 11, 2017
  7. BOE
    boe Win User
    The CU edition of Windows 10 is defective. If you use network sharing on any non windows devices avoid it like the plague / Vista. I'm hoping that someone will release a "classic browser" for network discovery to fix what MS broke this time around.

8. ruggb Win User

Well, all the devices I listed are windows devices and it is still broken. This isn't the only issue I have with it either. HOWEVER, it is running on one laptop without issue, so far.

ruggb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Creator broke my network connections - Similar Threads - Creator broke network

2. KB5010342 broke my Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    KB5010342 broke my Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection: I use a wired Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection on my venerable ASUS X79 Deluxe Motherboard with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 OS Build 19044.1526 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0. All was well until I installed Security Update KB5010342 and Servicing Stack...
  3. KB5010342 broke my Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5010342 broke my Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection: I use a wired Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection on my venerable ASUS X79 Deluxe Motherboard with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 OS Build 19044.1526 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0. All was well until I installed Security Update KB5010342 and Servicing Stack...
  4. KB5010342 broke my Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network Reset broke my computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network Reset broke my computer: Hello, recently i used the network reset that windows has on their settings. It told me it was going to restart in 5 mins but i decided to just restart it myself. After the reset my ethernet was not even in device manger and now i have no internet. I decided to try and...
  6. Networking is broke!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Networking is broke!!: I don't know what's wrong, here. I thought I'd pinned it down to a bad network driver, but none of my other PCs had this issue. Rolling back the driver seemed to fix the issue, temporarily, and then when it happened again, I could simply roll the driver back again. Well, now,...
  7. Windows update broke my virtual network connections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows update broke my virtual network connections: It's two days after some Windows 10 update and it completely broke my VPN (Using Hamachi or Radmin VPN). I checked almost anything, like network card configurations etc. Any suggestion? I'm tired of Windows....
  8. Creators Update Broke Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Creators Update Broke Edge: All other browser work fine... but after the Creators Update Edge is behaving badly with intermittent problems. Main error is 'Hmmm... cannot reach this page' with 'The DNS server might be having problems. Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND' when Details is clicked....
  9. My 1709 Fall Creators Update Broke and Reset Mny Things

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My 1709 Fall Creators Update Broke and Reset Mny Things: Thought someone might be interested to know what broke on this update, which did install without errors. I have spent 4 or 5 hours trying to sort out all it did. Some amaze me like deleting ALL my saved Restore Points!! Windows Creator Update broke, reset or disrespected...
  10. Windows 10 Version 1703 Creator's Update Broke My Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Version 1703 Creator's Update Broke My Computer: So yesterday, I finally bit the bullet and decided to let my PC do the Windows 10 Version 1703 Creator's Update. After about 8 hours, I finally went to bed and let it keep running. Well sometime during the night it finally finished. Logged in this morning only to see that all...