Windows 10: Creator's Update- Disk Layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported error

Discus and support Creator's Update- Disk Layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported error in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there. Applying the creators update manually to an existing Win 10 x64 installation, or at least attempting to. When using the manual upgrade exe, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cadellin, Apr 10, 2017.

1. cadellin Win User

Creator's Update- Disk Layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported error

Hi there. Applying the creators update manually to an existing Win 10 x64 installation, or at least attempting to. When using the manual upgrade exe, I receive the following error:

Windows 10 will not run on this PC
    Here is why Windows 10 can't be installed:

The disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported.

I've attached a screen from disk management, in case it is of any use.

Creator's Update- Disk Layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported error [​IMG]

:)

cadellin, Apr 10, 2017

2. Support

Have called several time to fix update issue. Keep getting message: "the disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported" - either no call back or had to wait for hours on telephone with no response

ThomasBriggin, Apr 10, 2017
  3. WINDOWS 10 - CANNOT INSTALL UPDATES

Hi,

Yes, it is necessary to install Windows Updates as it provides updates for Windows components. It is possible that your system is missing the Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR) which is used on the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface(UEFI)/GUID Partition
    Table (GPT) disks. MSR basically supports software components that have previously used hidden sectors on disk. You can visit this
    link for troubleshooting steps regarding the error message "cannot install
    updates - you have an unsupported layout for UEFI firmware".

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Apr 10, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Which disk did you save the ISO on? Try putting it on C if it wasn't.

5. cadellin Win User
    cadellin, Apr 10, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    You disk layout looks OK to me and is BIOS not UEFI so I don't know why you got that error.

You could try using the Media Creation Tool from here (click on "Download Tool" not "Upgrade Now")

Download Windows 10

7. cadellin Win User

Same error unfortunately.

cadellin, Apr 10, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Things I can think of

1. check your disks are mbr or gpt - specifically disk 1 should be mbr

Go to cmd > diskpart > list disk if there is a * they are gpt
    Code: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.15063.0 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. On computer: X201 DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 232 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 3781 MB 4032 KB * DISKPART>[/quote] 2. Go into your BIOS disable UEFI (if it isn't)

3. Unplug the other drives except for #1

9. cadellin Win User
    The C Drive (Disc 1) is not GPT, according to diskpart. I'll have a shot at the bios.

cadellin, Apr 10, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
  11. cadellin Win User
    Tried the above, but no luck. Decided to leave things as they are for the time being, and perhaps upgrade to creator's whenever I next do a clean reinstall on this machine- but thanks for the help.

cadellin, Apr 10, 2017
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    Looking at your supplied Disk Management panel I can see your drive isn't formatted for UEFI. If it was it would look something like mine (or anyone else installed under UEFI)...

If you study the above panel you'll notice two small UEFI partitions (450 & 100meg). There's actually a third smaller one (16meg) but it is hidden in Disk management. These partitions are needed (actually created during install) when installing Windows in UEFI mode. The fact that you don't have them says they were deleted after 10 install, or 10 (Windows) was installed on the machine in legacy mode.

If you want to install Windows in UEFI mode you should follow this tutorial... Clean Install Windows 10 and go to step 13

You might see this post as well... How can I install w10 in uefi mode

Honestly I can't see why you wouldn't install in UEFI mode as I think Windows 10 performs best there. I also think that if you need to remove all those small partitions for "space" considerations, you might think about upgrading your hard drive if you really need that 566 meg of space back.

My two cents.

sygnus21, Apr 11, 2017
  13. Creator's Update- Disk Layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported error

Hi,
    Not that you have legacy bios although you show little to no system spec's of what mother board/ cpu/.... you have installed other than "custom build" so it's not much to go on *Smile

But on another note it seems to me the so called "creators build" is the first step to discontinue support for legacy bio's meaning older hardware will not be supported anymore for this or other future builds of win-10 seeing legacy bios does not support uefi so anyone that does have legacy bios is out of luck and stuck on the build they have now.
    Good to know though the game seems to be changing uefi was said to not be mandatory but it seems MS has changed their mind again *Biggrin

ThrashZone, Apr 11, 2017
  14. sygnus21 Win User
    We'd you get that from?

BTW alphanumeric said he installed in legacy without issue...
    Source: Windows 10 Creators Update available through the Update Assistant (page 25, post 242)

Not quite sure your assessment is correct, but...

sygnus21, Apr 11, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Absolute nonsense. The OP has a completely non-standard disk format, that is all the upgrade is complaining about. His disk format is not standard for either legacy BIOS or UEFI. He probably has CSM mode enabled in his UEFI firmware which is the only way his current disk format will boot. The upgrade is seeing his computer has UEFI firmware and it is looking for an EFI system partition to update - and there isn't one. If the computer did have a true legacy BIOS, there would be no problem, even though the disk layout is still pretty non-standard for legacy BIOS.

NavyLCDR, Apr 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Creator's Update- Disk Layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported error - Similar Threads - Creator's Update Disk

2. Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware: I wasn't able to update my windows because it stated that the disk layout was unsupported. I have 1903 but have no idea what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unsupported-disk-layout-for-uefi-firmware/5db915ea-310f-48ea-9fad-6dd8b0409a91
  3. "The disk layout for uefi frimware isn't supported."

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "The disk layout for uefi frimware isn't supported.": [ATTACH] So I'm trying to update Windows and even with the Update Assistant I'm getting this error message: https://preview.redd.it/x53i5e70vev31.png?width=599&format=png&auto=webp&s=91e0a5101d52902c40e2459a0fecb661e8baf4a1 I know I have UEFI firmware as listed in my...
  4. UEFI : The disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported.

UEFI : The disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported.: Windows won't update and I get the above message. This is my Windows info [ATTACH] What do I need to fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uefi-the-disk-layout-for-uefi-firmware-isnt/1a7e5683-4863-4c1f-b2e9-89e6918e8135
  5. The Disk layout for UEFI firmware not supported

The Disk layout for UEFI firmware not supported: When I was about to install the latest update for Windows 10 64bits I received the message: The Disk layout for UEFI firmware not supported. How I can fix that? I have Windows 10 working on Samsung MV 2 But all work fine....
  6. Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI firmware

Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI firmware: 1803 will nt install. I get an error message saying I have an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware. The OS is on an MBR disk. Does this mean I have to make it a GPT? 110420
  7. disk layout for UEFI firmware. The OS is on an MBR disk.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    disk layout for UEFI firmware. The OS is on an MBR disk.: 1803 will nt install. I get an error message saying I have an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware. The OS is on an MBR disk. Does this mean I have to make it a GPT? 110417
  8. 'Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware' yet BIOS Mode set to UEFI

'Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware' yet BIOS Mode set to UEFI: Sometime in the fall I started getting Windows 10 update errors trying to install 1607 (the anniversary update I believe). After trying different fixes I just ignored it for a while hoping windows would come up with a fix. 6 months later and I'd like to finally resolved this...
  9. Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware

Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware: BIOS is set to boot Legacy. Here are the two prior threads getting me from being patently annoyed with 1703 being chronically hung on a quality update to where I am now. The first one is a long read and the summary is, lots of trainwreckage, machine boots in Legacy....
  10. Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware: This problem is driving me nuts. *Confused I've had Win10 installed for ages and no problems until Upgrade 1511 came along. How come Windows 10 worked all that time and now refuses to upgrade? Can anyone provide a fix for this problem: Upgrade to Windows 10 Home,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the disk layout for uefi firmware isnt supported