Windows 10: Creator's update hardly worth it

Discus and support Creator's update hardly worth it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I received the much heralded Creator's update today. Took just under 2 hours to sort itself out but went smoothly. To be honest, for me it's made no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FrankS, Apr 11, 2017.

1. FrankS Win User

Creator's update hardly worth it

I received the much heralded Creator's update today. Took just under 2 hours to sort itself out but went smoothly.
    To be honest, for me it's made no difference from what I've seen so far. Edge apparently had an overall but I don't use it anyhow. There's supposed to be something about Games performance improvement & Xbox but I don't play games.
    Paint 3D is added - have no use for it.
    Night Light has yet to switch on so I don't know about that.
    Something about privacy settings. I've been through them - maybe there's more but I'd disabled most of intrusive ones previously.
    Cortana apparently has been updated but even if I had a microphone attached to my Desktop PC I'm hardly gonna start talking to it (this also means that I don't use the upgraded Skype). I've disabled Cortana as much as possible anyhow so for me no difference.
    So all in all the Creator's update is hardly noticeable for me. If someone had installed it for me when I was away but didn't tell me I don't think I'd have guessed.
    The best thing about the update is that it went smoothly - no reboot loops, nothing broken but nothing gained.

:)

FrankS, Apr 11, 2017

2. 14th June updates have killed Edge

So...I uninstalled the creators update and Edge is working again!

Hardly a successful outcome but better than nothing. Not resolved and not happy :-(

DavidPWallis, Apr 11, 2017
  3. Creator's update is it worth installing.

Creator's update seems like a major change. In the past when major changes were made unforeseen problems happened. Is it worth the risk? my computer works fine now.

I have been unable to find an objective review of this update but have found people posting problems.

lexluther_509, Apr 11, 2017
  4. FrankS Win User

Night Light has now apparently switched on. I see no difference so I switched it off - I see no difference. It's now back on. Ah I see, it gradually fades to less blue, not a sudden thing as I was expecting.
    Since I work mainly with graphics this is going to be a problem.
    It's going off.

FrankS, Apr 11, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    So do I, but eyes adapt to changes in colour temperature - else you wouldn't see the same apparent colours under artificial light. I leave it on as I find it more restful in the evenings...

6. FrankS Win User
    Mmm... well I'll give it try but when I'm looking at white I've got used to seeing white.

FrankS, Apr 11, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I agree @FrankS. The reason I go through and update all the computers on my home network manually with the ISO file is I figure they are eventually going to get the big update pushed via Windows Update anyway and I would rather have the computer update when not being used and so I can be prepared in case the update does not go well. My mother-in-law, wife and daughter would probably have no idea their computers were updated to Creator's Update if I didn't tell them they were.

NavyLCDR, Apr 11, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

You can change the colour temperature it will use to match that of your ambient light. If I switch it off then back on again it looks quite orange at first. That soon looks 'white' again as my eyes adapt.

Apparently there are receptors in the eye that are not involved with visualisation, rather they respond to blue light (specifically that of a clear blue sky) to directly control circadian rhythms. Basically, too much blue at night can disturb your sleep patterns.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrin...onscious_sight

9. pparks1 Win User
    I will agree, the Creators Update is not very exciting. People get worked up for these minor changes. I won't gocput of my way to get this update.

I will turn off the apps list, and I will make use of powershell in the power users menu. I am watching the changes in the Edge browser, but I don't use Edge.

pparks1, Apr 11, 2017
  10. FrankS Win User
    It should be interesting when I run the spyder Monitor Calibration

FrankS, Apr 11, 2017
  11. Totally agree with the theme of this thread. I'll take the update because it'll be pushed anyway and I don't want to suffer future incompatibility with software that may only run more recent builds. But MS new penchant for thrusting big revisions at frequent intervals is nothing more than a hassle in my eyes. I find patch Tuesday irritating enough so to get this happen so often is very frustrating. It resets settings , knocks your pc out of action for an evening and always has a potential to bork the machine or break stuff. I find myself spending the rest of the evening testing loads of stuff because I don't trust their updates. I sincerely hope MS soon seriously slows the rate of these big updates and just delivers security updates but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon

Scottyboy99, Apr 11, 2017
  12. Dyabzhee Win User
    Umm I think that it got rushed a bit with release because of the deadline. It's so buggy. Wish I didn't delete windows.old.

It is step in right direction but it got rushed and we have half finished product now that WE WILL be testing it for months until we get it stable...

Same story was with 1607 and disk usage. It got fixed after month or so.

Dyabzhee, Apr 12, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

I couldn't disagree with you more Creator's update hardly worth it :)

NavyLCDR, Apr 12, 2017
  14. eddward Win User
    Well, RS3 is scheduled later this year, probably in November (as November update in 2015) and there is also RS4 on track next year... but since Microsoft has ~8 month development cycle now, it looks like next year we will see only 1 release, probably in summer just like Anniversary update last year... what happen next is a big unknown

eddward, Apr 12, 2017
  15. lx07 Win User
    I upgraded my wife's yesterday when she was out as she hates the "don't turn off your PC" upgrade message. I didn't mention it and she didn't notice.

That is how it should be I think.

I like some of the changes but then I use Edge (save-as) and Hyper-V (resizing console).

Thema:

1. Creator's update hardly worth it - Similar Threads - Creator's update hardly

2. Is it worth risking an update for me?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it worth risking an update for me?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Pepefrogcheese [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6emh7/is_it_worth_risking_an_update_for_me/
  3. Is It Worth It?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is It Worth It?: so, im a student, and i only have one machine which is my laptop, which is decent in performance, and has too much RAM (16 gigs), and in my previous machine, i was an insider, and so i would like to find out if it is worth it being an insider for windows 10, and if so, then...
  4. Months worth of updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Months worth of updates?: I just received a lenovo laptop from a friend, they stopped using the laptop about three years ago. It was running really slow and I realized it was 39 months behind on windows updates. I got it to 37 months and it runs much better but it took hours to update it to each one....
  5. Creator's Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creator's Update: What is Creator's Update? And How can I get that? Are Insider Program and Creator's Update Same https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/creators-update/1d440c83-6041-478b-9874-b651a8224bd1
  6. Creators Update.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Creators Update.: How will I know when the Creator's Update has been installed please? Presumably it appears in Settings/Update and Security but is it identifiable? 86408
  7. Creators Update

Creators Update: I don't particularly want to do a manual download but am I the only one that hasn't received the Creator's Update yet? I also read somewhere that certain applications running on a computer might stop the update from downloading. 89939
  8. creator update

creator update: It appears that the creator update has me in its crosshairs. From what little I could find out the only thing I am interested in is the improved edge. Can all the other features be uninstalled or at least ignored. 86852
  9. Creators update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creators update: I installed the creators update some months ago that helped solving some of the problems I had with windows. But after windows crashed and I had to reinstall it, I can no longer seem to get the creators update to work. I just get a message that says "thank you for updating...
  10. creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    creators update: I was wondering if anyone is having trouble with the creators update? I installed it on a desktop and laptop. The laptop seems ok with it. The desktop appeared ok at first, but after a couple of days things started happening. Keyboard would freeze, chrome with bing started...