Windows 10: Creators update has stopped background slideshow working

Discus and support Creators update has stopped background slideshow working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Has anyone else experienced this? Just been updated to Creators (after several failed attempts using loads of valuable bandwidth!) and this has broken... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by rjhfandclf, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Creators update has stopped background slideshow working

Has anyone else experienced this? Just been updated to Creators (after several failed attempts using loads of valuable bandwidth!) and this has broken my background slideshow settings, leaving my two screens stuck on the same image.

My previous personalisation settings were to shuffle images from the default Pictures folder. This displayed two different images on each of my two monitors from various random sub- and sub-sub-folders (I found previously that selecting my preference for a sub-folder didn't work - only selecting Pictures worked at all).

I have tried to reset things manually via personalisation, but nothing works. I deleted all old unused themes, and changed back to the one I use and this changed the background to become stuck on the lock screen image. I then changed the slideshow location back to another sub-folder and two different images from that folder appeared, but did not change at all. I then tried to change the folder back to Pictures, but it is now stuck with the two same images.

Any ideas please??

Many thanks!

:)

rjhfandclf, Aug 16, 2017
  2. SOISK Win User
    SOISK, Aug 16, 2017
  3. _Sparks Win User
    Background randomly changes to a dotted background. Goes back to normal when going into Task View

LOL Thanks.

It randomly occurs. I put a slideshow of different wallpapers for the background. When this problem occurred the slideshow stopped and so I had the same background. I updated my graphics driver and set
    a single wallpaper and haven't encountered this problem yet...

Is this bug set to be fixed in an upcoming update btw?

_Sparks, Aug 16, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Creators update has stopped background slideshow working

Odd. I manually updated to Creators as soon as it was released. My background slideshow continued to work normally after the update.

Do you use anything to tweak your system, such as Winaero? I don't.

5. No tweaks - I decided tweaking Windows 10 was a dangerous thing at the outset!

Interestingly, I just tried yet again to change the location via personalise, and tried a sub-folder again, and it immediately changed to that folder with different images on each monitor. So this is now 'working' - but exactly the opposite to how it worked before the update and how I had it before; i.e. it will not work with the default Pictures folder - just with individual sub or sub-sub folders, wherever the actual images lie. I have hundreds of photos is dozens of folders, so this means I have to change folders manually to see different subject matter, when I much prefer the old 'random from any folder' set-up.

rjhfandclf, Aug 16, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Yes, mine was already set to a sub-folder containing my favourite wallpapers before the update to Creators, so probably explains why I didn't see your issues. On experimenting, it certainly seems the functionality is to only show picture from the selected folder, ignoring any sub-folders it may contain.

7. That's a relief that it's not just me, at least.

Perhaps someone else might see this and have a workaround or suggestion for getting back to the good old ways...?

rjhfandclf, Aug 16, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

I'm not convinced your 'good old ways' was working correctly either. You did say...

I have just restored the 1607 image for my test machine (System Two in my specs below). I can confirm that in 1607 selecting the Pictures folder for the slideshow does use images from any sub-folders. But unlike you, selecting a sub-folder works too.

9. Bree New Member
    There's a rather convoluted way involving custom libraries and the control panel settings for wallpaper here on Superuser...
    https://superuser.com/questions/1061...ple-subfolders
    ...though on further reading that too seems to have stopped working with recent updates. *Sad

10. Bree New Member
    Some further information, direct from a Microsoft software engineer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...ground_parent/

So it seems this 'small trick' specifically for the Pictures folder is what has stopped working in Creators Update. *Sad

Maybe if enough people complain through the feedback hub it will get fixed in a future update (don't hold your breath).

11. You're quite right of course. I had two main sub-directories under Pictures - one containing 'technical' images that I probably never want to see again - but want to keep 'just in case'; the other with family pics etc. So I had to tolerate the odd strange image appearing in the middle of the more enjoyable ones!

Yes - too good to be true it seems, unfortunately - but confirms the status quo.

Thanks for all your efforts anyway...

rjhfandclf, Aug 16, 2017
  12. I'm 72 - so probably not enough breath left ... !

rjhfandclf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Creators update has stopped background slideshow working - Similar Threads - Creators update has

2. Recovery Media Creator has stopped working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Media Creator has stopped working: I called Dell. They told me that Microsoft will be able to resolve the issue. The computer is mine. I paid for it. Therefore, I also paid for Windows 10. I don't understand why it seems impossible to log out of the work or school account that prevents me from speaking to an...
  3. Recovery Media Creator has stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Media Creator has stopped working: I called Dell. They told me that Microsoft will be able to resolve the issue. The computer is mine. I paid for it. Therefore, I also paid for Windows 10. I don't understand why it seems impossible to log out of the work or school account that prevents me from speaking to an...
  4. Recovery Media Creator has stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Slideshow background not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slideshow background not working.: Slideshow background doesn't work on Windows 11.Even though I never set it up in Windows 11, it automatically came over when I installed and started using Windows 11. I never did anything to change it. But then, after 10 days, it stopped working and nothing I did could bring...
  6. Slideshow background not working.

Slideshow background not working.: Slideshow background doesn't work on Windows 11.Even though I never set it up in Windows 11, it automatically came over when I installed and started using Windows 11. I never did anything to change it. But then, after 10 days, it stopped working and nothing I did could bring...
  7. My Background Slideshow is not working

My Background Slideshow is not working: I have tried everything that was suggested. My settings were already set to what was suggested. I even tried to save my Theme for sharing. It only let me save it as a .deskthemepack. I didn't have any other options.I do notice that as soon as I right click on the screen and...
  8. Slideshow Background Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slideshow Background Not Working: I wanted to start using a slideshow lockscreen background recently so I made a new folder with all the pictures I wanted. After opening the lockscreen settings I changed the wallpaper to slideshow and deleted the default albums that were already there. For some reason, after...
  9. Background slideshow stops working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background slideshow stops working: Greetings - A minor annoyance with background slideshow - it works for 2-3 days then seems to "forget" to cycle to new background images. If I go to Settings > Personalization > Background it will immediately change the background before I can change any settings. The...
  10. Background slideshow not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Background slideshow not working: I have a background slideshow in operation, inherited from Windows 7 when I changed to Windows 10. I know how to personalise the background, but the slideshow does not work when I select a folder other than the one I inherited, even when there are suitable background pictures...