Windows 10: Creator's upgrade appeared ok, but Advanced Recovery functions fail

Discus and support Creator's upgrade appeared ok, but Advanced Recovery functions fail in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, so I bit the bullet, and upgraded. All went well, and seemed ok until I tried to get into Safe Mode or a command prompt outside of Windows, for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalchina, Aug 30, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

Creator's upgrade appeared ok, but Advanced Recovery functions fail

Hi, so I bit the bullet, and upgraded. All went well, and seemed ok until I tried to get into Safe Mode or a command prompt outside of Windows, for example.

All the options were there, but when my PC restarted - nothing. Had to power down.

All had worked fine with the Anniversary build- only failed after upgrading.
    Have you seen this?

Currently preparing to reinstall Windows and copy back (restore from image) my updated Windows partition.

:)

dalchina, Aug 30, 2017
  2. bluesbeat Win User

CD/DVD Drive not recognised after upgrading to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro - help

Brilliant! that did the trick, I just uninstalled Toshiba Recovery Media Creator and my drive appeared ok.

Thanking you,

Geoff

bluesbeat, Aug 30, 2017
  3. slance310 Win User
    Getting my optical drives back after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi,

That Registry Fix is only for when the drives do not appear in Device Manager...

Are you running preinstalled Win 10, or is this an upgrade ?

The reason I ask is that Toshiba has a couple of features for creating Recovery Media that cause this after a upgrade...

If your Win 10 is a upgrade uninstall Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator and reboot...

If you have Toshiba Recovery Media Creator instead, uninstall that...

If you have both just uninstalling the Recovery Disk Creator may be enough...

After a upgrade they are most likely useless anyway...

slance310, Aug 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, some more information:

1. Can boot normally and into Safe Mode.
    2. Attempting to boot to
    - System Restore
    - Command prompt
    - Startup Repair

all give me a logo screen (my PC manufacturer)
    +

Please Wait

- and nothing happens.

Now if I try a SHIFT left click restart from the lock screen before Safe Mode, I get an error which is reported:

/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD

Status 0xc0000454

The boot configuration .......................................... contains errors.

When I clean installed the Creator's edition, Advanced recovery options worked.

They fail on
    - my build upgraded from the Anniversary Edition (fully updated Creator's build)
    - after restoring my fully updated Creator's build C: partition in place of that of a clean install of the Creator's build
    - after an in-place upgrade repair install of that

Have tried
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Internet references to this error number (none on this forum!) indicate it is specially relevant to the Creator's Build rather than the Anniversary Build.

Note: Secure Boot is already disabled (found a reference suggesting that helped).

Startup Repair (run from installation DVD) (& which should be irrelevant as booting to Safe and Normal mode is ok) reports 'couldn't repair your PC'.

The log file (SrtTrail.txt) contains no errors.

Partitions:

Creator's upgrade appeared ok, but Advanced Recovery functions fail [​IMG]

The first partition on Disk 1 (data disk) was created in the upgrade. (No, I didn't open the laptop up and remove the SSHD before upgrading, never having had a problem before).

dalchina, Aug 30, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    From a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin), what result do you get from:

reagentc /info

NavyLCDR, Aug 31, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, thanks - I did try reagentc /enable at one point

dalchina, Aug 31, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, one thing I am seeing is that reagentc (which manages the Windows Recovery Environment [WinRE]) is pointing to partition 5 of hard disk 1. That appears to be the incorrect location. Run diskpart and list disk. Then select disk # (replace # with the actual number of the disk) and then list part for each of the listed disks. That will tell you which "harddisk" number to use and which partition to assign as the recovery partition using reagentc /setreimage.

Your screenshot show disk 2 partition 1 as the proper recovery partition - but that might be interpreted differently than the barebones diskpart (and, therefore Windows itself) interprets the disk numbering and layout.

NavyLCDR, Aug 31, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Makes sense. What do you make of the extra 128Mb partition on Disk 1?

I think I could assign a drive letter (e.g. R) to that recovery partition, then use this:
    reagentc /setreimage /path R:\Recovery\WindowsRE

I can't work out the format of the command using "harddisk" number and partition number.
    Disk 0:

Disk 1:

dalchina, Aug 31, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    The extra 128 MB "partition" is not a partition - it is just unallocated space that has no partition assigned to it.

The format for reagentc /setreimage without using a drive letter is:
    reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition1\Recovery\WindowsRE

I would try that first. Partition 5 is also a Recovery partition, but the standard size and position for a Windows 10 recovery partition is the first partition and 450 MB.

NavyLCDR, Aug 31, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, I did it by assigning a partition letter... so I now have

but still the same symptom.

dalchina, Aug 31, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    I had this problem once on an earlier build and the problem was as described above. With careful analysis you can work out which is the correct recovery partition and designate that one. I used Minitool Partiton Wizard to check the file dates in the recovery partitions to select the correct one.

Steve C, Sep 1, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, it seems set now to the correct one of the two - correct size and content.

The other (odd size) seems to have no meaningful content:

dalchina, Sep 1, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

And did that solve your original problem?

NavyLCDR, Sep 1, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    No.. still same symptoms as I said. If I run Macrium Fixboot it disassociates the recovery partition completely.

I feel there's something indicated by the 0xc0000454 message in addition to the recovery partition, but I've no idea what.

dalchina, Sep 1, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    It does sound like the BCD is messed up. You can rebuild the EFI System Partition. You would boot into Kyhi's Recovery Tools. Use MiniTool Partition Wizard to assign a drive letter to the EFI System Partition (on the second drive, it looks like). Let's say you give it T:. Reformat the EFI System Partition to FAT32. Then in a command prompt you would run:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s T: /f UEFI

Make sure the path in red is to your Windows installation as it appears in Kyhi's Recovery Tools - it might not get assigned C: so you might have to change the drive letter to match.

I've seen it where there are multiple BCDs in the EFI System Partition and you are doing the repairs to one BCD, but then the computer is actually booting with another BCD in the same EFI System Partition and you wonder, What the heck, I know I changed that but the computer isn't recognizing the changes!

NavyLCDR, Sep 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Creator's upgrade appeared ok, but Advanced Recovery functions fail - Similar Threads - Creator's upgrade appeared

2. Data Recovery advanced

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data Recovery advanced: There is a data loss on my SSD, because the Partitition got deleted manually. I followed a guide in the forum, but seemingly got a misconception. That is why I booted a windows installer, deleted all my partitions on the drive no formating and installed a new windows. After...
  3. Data Recovery advanced

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data Recovery advanced: There is a data loss on my SSD, because the Partitition got deleted manually. I followed a guide in the forum, but seemingly got a misconception. That is why I booted a windows installer, deleted all my partitions on the drive no formating and installed a new windows. After...
  4. Data Recovery advanced

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I am failing to do a recovery in Advanced Recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am failing to do a recovery in Advanced Recovery: I am failing to do a recovery in the Advanced Recovery in the control panel. My reason for wanting to do this is because my data is being used up so fast 2Gig in one day which is unusual. Been using 2g for almost a month. So something has happened to my settings maybe...
  6. I am failing to do a recovery in Advanced Recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am failing to do a recovery in Advanced Recovery: I am failing to do a recovery in the Advanced Recovery in the control panel. My reason for wanting to do this is because my data is being used up so fast 2Gig in one day which is unusual. Been using 2g for almost a month. So something has happened to my settings maybe...
  7. Repeated fail upgrade to 1903 => block functional upgrades

Repeated fail upgrade to 1903 => block functional upgrades: Dear all, Since some months, I fail to update to W10 1903 from 1803. I tried the different methods from FIX: Windows 10 Update 1903 failed to install (Solved) - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos It fails with error 0xc1900101 It is a 12 years old Thinkpad R61, and...
  8. Security Updates in advance of Creator glitch

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Security Updates in advance of Creator glitch: I sent the following to :https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/ " I cannot complete the mandatory security settings update required for the Creator update. That is because I am visually impaired and operate my computer monitor in portrait setting and Windows 10...
  9. Advanced sizing of text ... gone with Creators Update ?!

in Windows 10 Support
    Advanced sizing of text ... gone with Creators Update ?!: Does anybody know where "advanced sizing of text and other items" from display settings is gone ? I cannot find it anywhere and I need Windows to have bigger fonts (and I don't want to scale everything, just the size of the text). If it's completely gone with Creators Update,...
  10. Creator update failing

Creator update failing: My creator's update is failing with the following error:- 0x800700A1 - 0x20007 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_DRIVERS operation. What should i do? I have a lenovo yoga book and i am installing the update via a USB drive. 97765