Windows 10: Credentials challenge when attempting to share

Discus and support Credentials challenge when attempting to share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The loss of the Homegroup in Windows 10 has left a big issue with a new laptop where after following all the instructions I found online I'm getting a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StupisIs, May 7, 2020.

1. StupisIs Win User

Credentials challenge when attempting to share

The loss of the Homegroup in Windows 10 has left a big issue with a new laptop where after following all the instructions I found online I'm getting a challenge for credentials when I merely attempt to click on another networked PC. Here is a summary of my settings:

New Laptop w/Windows 10 build 1909
    WiFi NW is Private
    NW Discovery is On
    File & Printer sharing is On
    All PCs are 128-bit encryption
    Password protected sharing is Off
    Can access internet with Edge browser
    Can see other PCs in Windows Explorer
    From laptop, attempt to click on network PC Name or a shared file/folder results in credentials challenge. Result: Always "The user name or password is incorrect"
    From another NW PC to a laptop shared folder result: OK
    From the laptop, no network printers are visible in Windows Explorer. However, they are visible in the Edge browser by IP address.

I've looked at security settings including the group policy settings and I haven't seen anything that would account for this behavior. What am I doing wrong?

:)

StupisIs, May 7, 2020
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you’ve already turned off password protected sharing, this issue could be due to the incorrect cached credentials stored on the PC. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works.

• Open Control Panel and categorize to view by
      small icons.
    • Click on User Accounts and choose your
      User Name.

• On the left pane, click on Manage your credentials.
      Under Windows Credentials, remove the shared computer credentials and save the changes.
    • Exit Control Panel and restart the machine to see if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, May 7, 2020
  3. GDWojo Win User
    Credentials issue with print sharing

I am attempting to add a shared printer after installing my first Windows 10 PC on a Windows Domain.

When connecting to the shared printer (that now has everyone set to Full Control) I am still prompted for a User ID and Password - I have attempted the domain user's login credentials, I have tried the print server's local administrator, I have tried the
    domain admin, I have tried every user on the system..

With each attempt, I receive the following error: The credentials supplied are not sufficient to access the printer. Do you want to specify new credentials?

When I select yes, and attempt another set of credentials the next error is: Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation cannot be completed.

A. Why pray tell, and I being asked for credentials

B. What credentials would be "sufficient" if not the local admin, domain admin and a user who is assigned to the admin group?

GDWojo, May 7, 2020
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

adding password to store in web credentials in internet explorer windows 10!!

Hello,

Looks like you are encountering challenges on managing your login credentials. We have here the steps you can follow to manage your web credentials via Control Panel:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Manage Web Credentials and press Enter.
    • Navigate to Web Credentials, and to Windows Credentials
      to add, view, edit, or remove credentials on the respective options.

Give us an update on the result and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, May 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Credentials challenge when attempting to share - Similar Threads - Credentials challenge attempting

2. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Credential for file sharing: This question has been asked before but I cannot see an answer that has worked. Microsoft should publish an answer if there is one, and not rely on the Community..I am trying to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 PC. File Explorer shows both computers on the...
  3. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Credential for file sharing: This question has been asked before but I cannot see an answer that has worked. Microsoft should publish an answer if there is one, and not rely on the Community..I am trying to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 PC. File Explorer shows both computers on the...
  4. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Invalid credentials when attempting to access windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid credentials when attempting to access windows 10: Using Beyond trust Privilged remote accessHello, on the same windows VM, I created both a RemoteRDP jump method and RemoteJump methodThe RemoteRDP works perfectly with no issues.But when i try to access the VM using the Remote jump method an error message occurs stating that...
  6. Invalid credentials when attempting to access windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invalid credentials when attempting to access windows 10: Using Beyond trust Privilged remote accessHello, on the same windows VM, I created both a RemoteRDP jump method and RemoteJump methodThe RemoteRDP works perfectly with no issues.But when i try to access the VM using the Remote jump method an error message occurs stating that...
  7. SMB share credentials

SMB share credentials: Hi, I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows...
  8. Login credentials are incorrect when sharing files.

Login credentials are incorrect when sharing files.: Ok, I've searched multiple places for this information and tried a great many things, but nothing is working correctly. My desktop is Windows 7, laptop is Windows 10 on my private home network that uses a single router. Both show up in each other's Network folders. I can...
  9. Sharing folders - Credentials

Sharing folders - Credentials: Hello everyone! I have a problem with sharing some folders. On my PC I have set 3 folders to share. One for personal data and other two for sharing pictures and videos. Folders with pictures and videos are shared that anyone on network can open the folder and browse...
  10. Shared Drive Credentials

in Windows 10 Support
    Shared Drive Credentials: I've been experimenting with setting up an old PC (running 10) as a NAS, and I've created a few shared drives with specific ones allowing access to specific users. Most of the shared drives will accept my login info, which is the exact same on my desktop (the client PC). This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is my network credential