Windows 10: credentials problem accessing computer on home network

Discus and support credentials problem accessing computer on home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Simple version: When I attempt to access computer name Tosh-64 from any other computer on the network, I WAS getting challenged for a user name and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WacoJohn, Apr 1, 2020.

1. WacoJohn Win User

credentials problem accessing computer on home network

Simple version:
    When I attempt to access computer name Tosh-64 from any other computer on the network, I WAS getting challenged for a user name and p/w. I kept getting 'wrong uname or p/w. Made a big mistake and tried MS account credentials. It's a local account and of course that failed.

I finally realized THAT computer HAS no password, but I can't get back to it being a local account. Accessing it now results in it still wanting to use MS account.

screen shot:

credentials problem accessing computer on home network [​IMG]

W10-64 .. both machines.

any help is appreciated in advance.

:)

WacoJohn, Apr 1, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are being asked for credentials when trying to access computers on the network. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

Ideally, when you are asked for credentials, you will need to enter the username and password of the computer which you are trying to access. If you are on a secured network, you can turn off password protected sharing under Network and sharing options
    and you will not be prompted for a password.

If you are unable to access the computer by entering the username and password of the computer, one of thing that I can suggest you is to try entering the Device name and password when you receive the prompt. To check for the Device name, go to
    Start >> Settings >> System >> About.

If that doesn’t work, try the steps mentioned below:

1. On the computer for which you are being asked for password, type
      command prompt in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon, and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, type whoami and hit
      Enter
    You will get the name of the device, try using the name as the username and use the computer password.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 25, 2020
  3. WacoJohn Win User

Simple version:
    When I attempt to access computer name Tosh-64 from any other computer on the network, I WAS getting challenged for a user name and p/w. I kept getting 'wrong uname or p/w. Made a big mistake and tried MS account credentials. It's a local account and of course that failed.

I finally realized THAT computer HAS no password, but I can't get back to it being a local account. Accessing it now results in it still wanting to use MS account.

screen shot:

credentials problem accessing computer on home network [​IMG]

W10-64 .. both machines.

any help is appreciated in advance.

WacoJohn, May 25, 2020
  4. credentials problem accessing computer on home network

Network Credentials

Hi Sammy,

To assist you better regarding your concern with network credentials, have you checked the Windows credentials for any information about the username and password for the network credentials? If not yet, follow the steps below to access Windows Credentials
    manager.

• Press the Windows icon on the desktop.
    • Type in Windows Credentials.
    We would appreciate as well if you could provide us a screenshot.

Let us know how it goes.

Carlos Tin, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. credentials problem accessing computer on home network - Similar Threads - credentials problem accessing

2. Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network: I have two desktops on a single private network one running Windows 11 Pro and the other Windows 10 Pro. Using File Manager I can see the Windows 10 machine, but to view the files it requires user credentials. Both machines are connected to the same Microsoft account while I...
  3. Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network: I have two desktops on a single private network one running Windows 11 Pro and the other Windows 10 Pro. Using File Manager I can see the Windows 10 machine, but to view the files it requires user credentials. Both machines are connected to the same Microsoft account while I...
  4. Can't access computers on home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access computers on home network: I'm setting up a new Dell XPS 8930. Existing home network which uses Workgroup at this point includes a Win7 Dell and a Win8.1 Lenovo. The Win7 will be updated to 10 when this problem is solved. All computers show up on all computers under Network. The Win10 can access the...
  5. Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network: I know have all of my computers on Windows 10. When I had only one on Windows 10 I could share all of the computers and their files including the Windows 10 one. Now I can only share printers. I can see all of the computer under Network but when I press on one of the other...
  6. Accessing Computers Over Home Network

Accessing Computers Over Home Network: We have three computers at home. When all three computers were on Windows 7, sharing was a pain in the...but it worked. Everyone could basically access everything on everyone else's computers. Two computers were recently upgraded to Windows 10, one is still on Windows 7....
  7. network credential problem

network credential problem: - trying to connect laptop to desktop and copy files - can see the drives but when I try to connect - says "Windows cannot access //drivename" "you do not have permission to access //drivename". See your network administrator" That is me - only user, administrator is me...
  8. Home network credentials

Home network credentials: I have a simple home network and among other devices, phone, Kindle Fire tablet, TV, Blue Ray Player, I have my desktop computer, and my notebook. I often want to transfer documents or folders between these two computers. I open the network window click on the device and I am...
  9. network credentials problem

network credentials problem: I am unable to access files on my wireless network that I have accessed before. I receive a message that my credentials are not correct to access the PC where the files are....
  10. NETWORK PROBLEM: Network Credentials

NETWORK PROBLEM: Network Credentials: I created a Workgroup for three computers in my house, all three have the same Workgroup Name and all three show up when I open the Network tab. BUT, when I try to access one of the other two computers, it keeps asking for "Network Credentials". Now I Googled...