Windows 10: Crippled optical drive in Win 10

Discus and support Crippled optical drive in Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I upgraded my Toshiba Satellite laptop from Windows 8 to 8.1 and my CD/DVDCW worked perfectly. I then upgraded again to Windows 10 when it came out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Graham -Oz-Osborne, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Crippled optical drive in Win 10

I upgraded my Toshiba Satellite laptop from Windows 8 to 8.1 and my CD/DVDCW worked perfectly. I then upgraded again to Windows 10 when it came out and I can hear it run now when I put a DVD into the player and I can hear the drive working but it won't play the DVD. I have tried updating drivers but it tells me that I have the most recent driver installed for that player. Any suggestions? Other than the tired old "Get the latest driver," which you've been trotting out for years now, and has fixed EXACTLY NO COMPUTERS.

:)

Graham -Oz-Osborne, Jun 14, 2020
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Crippled optical drive in Win 10 [​IMG]

Jerry8A, Jun 14, 2020
  3. LemP Win User
    Optical drive letters keep swapping

Open Disk Management (click Start, type diskmgmt.msc in the Search box, and press Enter).

1. In the lower pane, right-click on your optical drive and select "Change drive letter and paths"
    2. Assign Y: to the first optical drive
    3. Repeat step 1 for the second optical drive and assign Z:

4. Anak Win User

Crippled optical drive in Win 10

Optical Drive Issue

Hi Jerry, you're welcome.

Here's mine after I rt clk'd on my Documents Folder like you show in Scrsht 11:

I'd like to wait until you reply to my question in Scrsht 12, if it is a remnant of the process try deleting the one on the dsktp and see if the one in send to also disappears. If it stays in send to, test it, and if you're still having problems I'd suggest you could go back to: Option One: To Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu for Your Account (current user) and do Step 3 to remove it and start over using Step 4 but be very careful of your steps in creating the shortcut and be sure you d&d that shortcut to the send to part of the address.

I'm busy today and I probably won't be back until the evening.

Thema:

Crippled optical drive in Win 10

1. Crippled optical drive in Win 10 - Similar Threads - Crippled optical drive

2. Win 10 and using an external optical drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 and using an external optical drive: I have windows 10, a desktop, and when I ordered it from HP I forgot to include a CD-R OR CD-RW. I figured that just purchasing one and plugging it into a usb port would solve my issue. Initially it worked, kinda. The other day I messed up and ended up having to re-install my...
  3. Win 10 and using an external optical drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 and using an external optical drive: I have windows 10, a desktop, and when I ordered it from HP I forgot to include a CD-R OR CD-RW. I figured that just purchasing one and plugging it into a usb port would solve my issue. Initially it worked, kinda. The other day I messed up and ended up having to re-install my...
  4. Win 10 and using an external optical drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. optical drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    optical drive: so, my optical drive is only reading blank disks. when I insert a blank disk, it reads without a problem, but when I insert a disk thhat has even 1 byte, the drive goes crazy and does not read. i would like an answer to that....
  6. optical drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    optical drive: so, my optical drive is only reading blank disks. when I insert a blank disk, it reads without a problem, but when I insert a disk thhat has even 1 byte, the drive goes crazy and does not read. i would like an answer to that....
  7. Optical Drive

Optical Drive: Hello, The optical drive on my ASUS all in one pc has stopped working. Apparently, there is a driver error. I have tried to fix/update with no success. ASUS say there is no direct fix available. I have bought an external drive, but this is also showing the same diagnostic...
  8. Optical drive

Optical drive: How do I install and connect the ASUS External slim optical drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optical-drive/db20e64f-3402-413d-8948-b95b9dd4eb48
  9. optical drive

optical drive: just bought a new desk top PC. manual shows that there is an optical drive eject button but I don't see it in my PC. am I equipped with optical drive or no? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optical-drive/ff81eee5-343a-42cc-b7f8-31d2e4a2b445
  10. optical drive

optical drive: is not listed in devices and wont find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/optical-drive/0fdeeee8-96a7-42b5-801d-ed31c57d2c14