Windows 10: Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working

Discus and support Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm afraid that I'm stumped as well for why the icons don't display properly in Start. *Sad Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by leafdesigner, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working

I'm afraid that I'm stumped as well for why the icons don't display properly in Start. *Sad

Brink, Sep 7, 2015

2. The weird thing is that many other icons look fine. They seem to be mostly the Adobe Creative Suite icons. There's a few others that aren't right, but it's mostly the Adobe ones. So I may try the Adobe forums and see if anyone there has any insight. Thanks for all your help.

leafdesigner, Sep 7, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you find anything, please let us know.

Brink, Sep 7, 2015
  4. Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working

Will do.

leafdesigner, Sep 7, 2015
  5. I'm wondering if I should designate this as "solved" now. It's working okay at the moment! Also, in your opinion, should I hang on to the Windows.old folder? It's taking up 22 GB of space on my SSD. Don't like that.

leafdesigner, Sep 8, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 8, 2015
  7. Hmm...I don't think so. Too late to go back to 8.1, anyway.

BTW, nobody on the Adobe forums has provided a solution to the icon issue. It's weird because it only occurs on the start menu (icons look fine in Windows Explorer) and almost only with Adobe products (though there's an Amazon Music logo that seems to be affected, too).

leafdesigner, Sep 8, 2015
  8. stigus Win User

So I made a new account yesterday, and of course it got corrupted again. This is the notification I get the moment start menu stops working and everything happens:

Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working [​IMG]

stigus, Sep 16, 2015
  9. mmpostema Win User
    Stigus - the new account that you made, was it a local account or MS account? I'm wondering if all accounts can get corrupted or just MS accounts.

Thanks!

mmpostema, Sep 30, 2015
  10. stigus Win User
    Hmm, It was a MS account actually. But I am sure it has happened to local only accounts too, and at that point one of the windows functions that stopped working was the "Sign in using a MS account" option. Only tried to do it at that point because I was hoping an insider update would have it fixed. Small hope I guess, but it couldn't get much worse.

Any info we can gather on this pretty horrible error is good though, hopefully someone from MS swings by and notices it. I am currently just using a backup I took after a clean install and most of what I need installed, and restoring it after everything is broken Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working :p Takes around a week or something with my system working perfectly, and then suddenly messed up notification time and no start menu *Confused

stigus, Sep 30, 2015
  11. mmpostema Win User
    My account that was corrupted was also a MS account. As a test, I have switched all accounts to local accounts & created a new profile for the corrupted account. So far they have not become corrupted. It's been about 2 weeks, so hopefully I have not jinxed myself.

I have not done any resets because it seems like its a corruption within a specific user account and not windows.

I saw this on another ten forums from another user:
    I found that opening task manager and doing an end task on the Local Security Authority Process ( 5 )would reboot the computer and clear the error.

Press Ctrl Alt Del buttons at the same time . The Task Manager window opens. Then locate the process I mentioned above. Right click it and choose end task. Wait while the computer reboots.

I haven't had the chance to try it, but wondered if you've seen this (or anyone else on this thread). And, I was wondering if it worked for them.

REALLY wish MS would fix this problem!!!!

mmpostema, Sep 30, 2015
  12. stigus Win User
    Yeah, using a local account now too, after literally just recovering my fresh install from a backup.. Hopefully it will work for a while this time, otherwise I will try doing that!

stigus, Sep 30, 2015
  13. stigus Win User

I just got the lovely notification again, and my windows is once again as responsive as someone in a coma.

Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working [​IMG]

I also tried what you suggested with ending the "Local Security Authority Process ( 5 )" It was (3) in my case, but it still made no difference once it was booted.

This has got to be the weirdest bug I have encountered on a operative system ever. I only used local account this time, and it still made no difference. No one has heard anything official from MS about this yet? I tried finding something, but everything was from beta builds, and it seems like they think it's completely fixed in the retail version...

stigus, Oct 10, 2015
  14. mmpostema Win User
    That really stinks!! I was hoping a local account was safe from this, but I guess not. I haven't seen any new posts about this either, have you? I would love to find out how to resolve it as I'm sure you would too!

mmpostema, Oct 12, 2015
  15. Kyricus Win User
    Since I am really loathe to do a clean install and have to re-install all my programs, file associations, etc. I broke down and picked up a third party start menu that works just fine and pretty much reverted the start menu back to windows 7 style. Kinda sucks, I have Windows 10 with a windows 7 menu overlay on it. But, until MS sorts this out, it's what I'm going with.

Kyricus, Oct 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working - Similar Threads - Critcal Error Start

2. Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?: Hello every one.This error is popping on my windows and I can't open anything I tried to do recovery but no luck with that.Any help I really need my files...
  3. Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?: Hello every one.This error is popping on my windows and I can't open anything I tried to do recovery but no luck with that.Any help I really need my files...
  4. Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working: I just got this message pop up this afternoon when I clicked on the Start button. I checked the latest updates installed on my laptop, see below. So what has caused this to happen and how do I fix it?...
  6. Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working

Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working: I just got this message pop up this afternoon when I clicked on the Start button. I checked the latest updates installed on my laptop, see below. So what has caused this to happen and how do I fix it?...
  7. Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Critical error -- Your Start menu isn't working

Critical error -- Your Start menu isn't working: When I turn thepower on my desktop PC, the opening screen with the picture usually includestext and a prompt to like / not like the picture. Now it just has a picture.Although I am able to sign in with my number code, if I click on “Start” orpress the “Windows Start key” I...
  9. Critical Error - Your start menu isn't working.

Critical Error - Your start menu isn't working.: Hi all,. This is the umpteenth time I am facing problems in Windows 10. Bugs Bugs Bugs. What's the problem with you guys?. Either you are too lethargic to see the bugs, or you don't have a QC team at all. If windows 10 isn't fully ready why the hell are you forcing us to...
  10. Critical Error - Your Start Menu Isn't Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical Error - Your Start Menu Isn't Working: Hello I am just setting up a new PC for a user. I have added to domain but when I click on start I get "Critical Error - Your Start Menu Isn't Working. We'll try to fix it the next time you log in" I have researched this and tried many fixes such as booting in safe mode...