Windows 10: Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working

Discus and support Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If someone has already posted a thread about this issue, forgive me if this is redundant. Anyway, the start menu doesn't work (Critical Error: Your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by leafdesigner, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working

If someone has already posted a thread about this issue, forgive me if this is redundant. Anyway, the start menu doesn't work (Critical Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in.") Also not working are any of the start menu-related apps (weather, news, calculator, etc), Cortana and Edge Browser. Pretty much all the things that make Windows 10 so appealing don't work. An hour on a chat with a Microsoft Support Tech yielded no solution. We tried: runing "sfc /scannow", something with command prompt and Powershell, and another scan with "DSIM". Also tried logging in in Safe Mode and then restarting. BTW, the "sfc /scannow" did find errors and repaired them, but that didn't solve the problem. Go figure.

I'm thinking there's no real solution to this problem until Microsoft releases some kind of patch, but if someone has any other idea, I'd sure appreciate it. I really don't want to go back to Windows 8.1.

:)

leafdesigner, Sep 1, 2015

2. How do I inform Microsoft about a Critical Error?

I have the issue "Critcal Error Star Menu and Cortana Aren't Working".

How do I report this to Microsoft?

PaulKitchell, Sep 1, 2015
  3. Shilohbob Win User
    Critcal Error "Your start menu.....blah blah"

To assist you properly we need to know the complete error message received and the sequence of actions you used prior to receiving error message, (sorry, blah, blah, is not an error message I am familiar with).

I see you have solved the error anyway, it may help others.

Shilohbob, Sep 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working

Brink, Sep 1, 2015
  5. Thank you for the response, I appreciate it. I was hoping there was a less drastic solution than a reset or reinstall. Those often seem to raise new issues of their own.

leafdesigner, Sep 1, 2015
  6. jogger52 Win User
    Did this work for you? I'm hesitant to try any fix without some feedback. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

jogger52, Sep 5, 2015
  7. It could be user profile corruption. You could create a new user and see if the start menu is working there. If so, you'd need to recreate your original user account.

claytoncarney, Sep 5, 2015
  8. jogger52 Win User

Thanks for your response. I'm afraid I have to do a reinstall.

jogger52, Sep 6, 2015
  9. I successfully performed a repair install and the start menu, Cortana, Edge have all been restored. However, most of the icons that apprear on the start menu are a generic white page. Not sure what to do about that. The start menu was also mostly blank after the repair because everything was turned to "off" in the Start Menu Settings.

Anyway, I'm also worried that this problem is going to recur- it has for many users. It seems that MS has definitely not perfected Windows 10, judging by other similar threads I've seen on this forum and things I've turned up doing online searches. If the problem returns, I'll probably just go back to 8.1 (I have the installation disk for that, thankfully- I don't trust the "go back to 8.1" feature in Windows 10). Such a shame, as Windows 10 is in many ways a terrific OS. But what can you do?

leafdesigner, Sep 6, 2015
  10. Hi Brink- thanks, this worked, but see my reply to Jogger52 below.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It seems that you have some issue possibly caused by upgrading to 10.

Usually a clean install will give good results. If you want to do a clean install, be sure to select "Skip" when asked to enter a product key since your free Windows 10 activation is registered on the Microsoft activation servers for the PC.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  12. jogger52 Win User
    Do I need to do a backup to an external hard drive before I do the clean install? I'm afraid this whole process is beyond my capabilities.

jogger52, Sep 6, 2015
  13. Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working

I'd prefer not to use the "nuclear option" if I don't have to. I was able to repopulate the start menu with little problem- most of it involves flipping the toggles in Settings>Start. Not sure about the generic icons. It's not a huge deal, but it is annoying.

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you went that route, then yeah you would want to back up anything that you do not want to lose.

If you like, post a screenshot showing these icons to see if it may reveal anything that we may be able to sort for you.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...en-forums.html

Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  15. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Sep 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Critcal Error: Your Start Menu Isn't Working - Similar Threads - Critcal Error Start

2. Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?: Hello every one.This error is popping on my windows and I can't open anything I tried to do recovery but no luck with that.Any help I really need my files...
  3. Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?: Hello every one.This error is popping on my windows and I can't open anything I tried to do recovery but no luck with that.Any help I really need my files...
  4. Your start menu isn't working. Critical error?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working: I just got this message pop up this afternoon when I clicked on the Start button. I checked the latest updates installed on my laptop, see below. So what has caused this to happen and how do I fix it?...
  6. Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working

Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working: I just got this message pop up this afternoon when I clicked on the Start button. I checked the latest updates installed on my laptop, see below. So what has caused this to happen and how do I fix it?...
  7. Critical error - Your Start menu isn't working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Critical error -- Your Start menu isn't working

Critical error -- Your Start menu isn't working: When I turn thepower on my desktop PC, the opening screen with the picture usually includestext and a prompt to like / not like the picture. Now it just has a picture.Although I am able to sign in with my number code, if I click on “Start” orpress the “Windows Start key” I...
  9. Critical Error - Your start menu isn't working.

Critical Error - Your start menu isn't working.: Hi all,. This is the umpteenth time I am facing problems in Windows 10. Bugs Bugs Bugs. What's the problem with you guys?. Either you are too lethargic to see the bugs, or you don't have a QC team at all. If windows 10 isn't fully ready why the hell are you forcing us to...
  10. Critical Error - Your Start Menu Isn't Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical Error - Your Start Menu Isn't Working: Hello I am just setting up a new PC for a user. I have added to domain but when I click on start I get "Critical Error - Your Start Menu Isn't Working. We'll try to fix it the next time you log in" I have researched this and tried many fixes such as booting in safe mode...