Windows 10: Critical Error due to renaming a C:/users file

Discus and support Critical Error due to renaming a C:/users file in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi,I'm getting a critical error every time I sign in on my main account because I logged into another admin account, changed the name of my main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Oliver[, May 8, 2021.

1. Oliver[ Win User

Critical Error due to renaming a C:/users file

Hi,I'm getting a critical error every time I sign in on my main account because I logged into another admin account, changed the name of my main account C:/users/[Name], then changed it in RegEdit so it could link together.However, I now cannot do anything on my main account because I get a critical error every time I sign in.Ive tried to revert it back to its original name but nothing. I have no clue what to do, I can't open PowerShell or use the taskbar at all on my main account, all I have it my other Admin account in which i'm writing this now on it.Any help to fix this would be appre

:)

Oliver[, May 8, 2021

2. Renaming C:\Users\<user>, then saving to it

Hi,

I have a local Windows account.

I did the following (after logging in):

1. Rename C:\Users\MyName to C:\Users\SomeOtherName
    2. Move files to it
    3. Name it back to the original C:\Users\MyName
    Now I can't access my files, even after trying to rename again.

What should I do?

RobertAnkle, May 8, 2021
  3. Renaming C:\Users\<user>, then saving to it

Windows will not let you rename your own profile folder while you are logged on.

What exactly did you do, and why?

Frederik Long, May 8, 2021
  4. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, May 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Critical Error due to renaming a C:/users file - Similar Threads - Critical Error due

2. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming the User File: I renamed my user file from "dogwa" to "aison5" through the registry editor. Upon resetting and logging back in, a popup says, "We can't sign in to your account." I think this had to do with renaming it, and i don't know how to rename it back. i also can't open the microsoft...
  3. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Renaming the User File: I renamed my user file from "dogwa" to "aison5" through the registry editor. Upon resetting and logging back in, a popup says, "We can't sign in to your account." I think this had to do with renaming it, and i don't know how to rename it back. i also can't open the microsoft...
  4. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Rename C:/Users/<name>

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rename C:/Users/<name>: How do I rename the above specified directory? I changed it through registry editor but after that my start menu failed and I've reset my PC. Please help me out with this submitted by /u/HarishRaj21 [link] [comments]...
  6. Renaming c:\Users\jeger to C:\Users\Jack

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming c:\Users\jeger to C:\Users\Jack: I did this renaming according to the method shown in several places on the internet: 1. Added a local user account named jg, signed out of jeger and signed into jg. 2. Using file explorer, renamed the folder c:\Users\jeger to C:\Users\Jack. 3. Using regedit, changed the...
  7. Renaming C:\Users\<user>, then saving to it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming C:\Users\<user>, then saving to it: Hi, I have a local Windows account. I did the following after logging in: Rename C:\Users\MyName to C:\Users\SomeOtherName Move files to it Name it back to the original C:\Users\MyName Now I can't access my files, even after trying to rename again. What should I do?...
  8. Renaming the user folder under c:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renaming the user folder under c:\users: Hi all. As a user who's part of a domain, my user folder under C:\Users is very long and this is disturbing when I use Bash (WSL). the folder is first.last.domainName and that's too long. Ideally, I just want my user folder to be my first.last name without the domain name...
  9. How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?

How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?: While my request in the thread Is it advisable/useful to have a second (full) Administrator account? was successfully handled, I now have this situation which I consider appropriate to mention in a new thread. Basically, I would like to rename the "new user" folder of the...
  10. How to rename C:\ users

How to rename C:\ users: I bought a new Toshiba laptop running Windows 8.1.Recently, I upgraded to windows 10. *Biggrin But now I noticed that my user folder is named as it world. And the path is C:\Users\it world . *Mad please help me to change it to C:\Users\.Please.......... *cry *Sad 16149