Windows 10: CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi

Discus and support CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. SIGN OUT NOW I upgraded from WIN 7 SP1 to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vijaykhai, Jul 22, 2015.

1. vijaykhai Win User

CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi

CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. SIGN OUT NOW

I upgraded from WIN 7 SP1 to build 10240 on FAST Track. I did a RECOVERY DRIVE, and after trying to restore from it, I am getting this message - in a loop, can not exit from it. I also find my backup and system image do not work.

How do I get out of this DEEP hole?

Thyanks for any of your help.

:)

vijaykhai, Jul 22, 2015
  2. Linney Win User

Hanging on in Windows 10 - "Start menu and Cortana error. System will try to solve to it when you Login next time."

Are you running Avast software?

CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. SIGN OUT NOW

CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi Solved - Windows 10 Forums

"UPDATE October 1, 2015: Microsoft has released cumulative update Kb3093266 to fix most of the issues with Start menu and Cortana. Install that update to improve Windows 10 stability and performance."

Microsoft Yet to Fix Windows 10’s ‘Start Menu and Cortana aren’t working’ Critical Error

Microsoft Yet to Fix Windows 10's 'Start Menu and Cortana aren't working' Critical Error

"Start menu and Cortana error. System will try to solve to it when you Login next time." - Recherche Google

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-au

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929135

Linney, Jul 22, 2015
  3. BrianAbbs Win User
    windows 10 download errors

Following error notice received

"Critical Error

Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in"

BrianAbbs, Jul 22, 2015
  4. CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi

Getting the exact same thing as well, although I've been using preview builds for just over a month and despite using build 10240 since release I've only just gotten the error.

TylerYatesHere, Jul 23, 2015
  5. redcent Win User
    Clicked on the computer Icon (right click), opened c drive, searched for control panel, opened control panel (right clicked). Removed Avast antivius. Restarted computer and problem solved. Now to find a good antivirus software.
    I

redcent, Aug 1, 2015
  6. mrpumpkin Win User
    You know, it's because of things like this that I know longer run anti-virus. They are like PUP's to me now. I scan with Malewarebytes. I use Noscript with a well established white and blacklist. In the recent past, I've used hosts files. I have not run a dedicated anti-virus program in 4 years.

Oh, I have been using malewarebytes anti-exploit tool with no problems.

mrpumpkin, Aug 1, 2015
  7. Suyan Win User
    Thank you so much for this! You saved my laptop. I've been trying to fix this Critical Error for three days and uninstalling Avast was all I needed to get my laptop back. You're the best!

Suyan, Aug 14, 2015
  8. JRhoa Win User

I also have just had this problem. Booted my PC up this morning, and I got the critical error saying that the start nmenu and cortana aren't working. The only two things I did last night were install Avast, and disable the windows update service. So I re-enabled the service and rebooted my PC and everything was working fine again hmm.

Also; Malwarebytes corrupted an install for me. After using it and scanning with it once, it started giving me BSOD's out the wazzu and I had to do a clean install. luckily I haven't completely switched my computer to 10 yet, and I'm still playing around with it on a separate partition until i'm satisfied that its stable enough for every day use.

JRhoa, Aug 17, 2015
  9. After installing Windows 10, I got the message, " * Critical Error * Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. " As directed, I logged out and back in, shut off and restarted several times, but nothing worked. Web search showed you could revert to the previous version of Windows, but the critical error message wouldn’t let me use anything. Even installed programs compatible with Win10 like Adobe InDesign weren’t working properly.

I tried a lot of the fixes on forums and finally gave up and called Microsoft. After 2 hours on the phone with a very patient tech, I was able to roll back to my previous version, 8.1. Try this:
    1. In the critical error message, click to log out.
    2. Don’t log in. At the bottom right, click the power symbol, then click Restart and hold down the Shift key. Keep holding Shift down while the computer goes down and restarts. This should take you to a Windows menu page with a number of options. The last option will allow you to revert to your previous version of Windows.
    3. If your computer comes back to the login window, repeat hold down Shift and Restart. I had to do it 3 times before it gave me the menu.
    My computer hung up during the reversion process. It looked like it was working since the cursor was spinning, but I was getting no action on my disk drive light. The tech said shut it down, so I held down the power key for a hard shutdown. Then I turned the power back on and the reversion restarted. This time I was back to my old version and everything looks fine.

I’m committed to going to Windows 10. At least now I know I can go back if it doesn’t work next time.

KatieMacSC, Aug 20, 2015
  10. Ojustaboo Win User
    My sons laptop gets this about 20% of the time he boots up.

Simply signing out and back in (not even rebooting) fixes it for him without him doing anything.

He is also running Avast

Ojustaboo, Aug 22, 2015
  11. altae Win User
    By any chance anybody of you running WindowFX 6 beta by Stardock? I've noticed that this program can cause such errors (it's still beta of course).

altae, Aug 22, 2015
  12. Jacklx Win User
    I'm new to this forum so if I'm doing this wrong I hope I'll be forgiven. This topic has several pages of comment on a forum which seems to be run by Microsoft.
    Some are saying use, or non-use of Avast makes no difference. As the problem only comes up when starting from cold I use the hibernate option apart from when the icon comes up, at shut down, telling me that there are updates to install. I've uninstalled Avast anyway and use Windows Defender, which won't work if SpyBot S&D is running in the background.
    The start menu/Cortana problem has only come up twice for me, each time I got out of it by Ctrl-Alt-Del and selecting Re-start. Each time during the restart there is mention of updates. I know little about these computer things but wonder if there is any chance that if a shut down occurs during installation of an update in the background, i.e.one which doesn't need a restart to complete the install, this would cause a problem.

Jacklx, Aug 23, 2015
  13. CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi

I have found over the years many Anti Virus programs, cause more problems then they keep from happening.

Many time when people do a Google or Bing search for a program,they find a download server that also send many other programs along with the one they wanted.
    These programs also get installed on your system along with the program you wanted installed.
    Then you notice your being directed to another web site and not what you clicked on. also you start getting a lot of un-wanted pop ups.

Acrobat reader is a good example ever update you are asked to get, includes an Anti Virus program you need to un-check the install box before clicking install.

Just be on guard when your downloading any program,and make sure it is coming from the original program web site.

digitalcurisity, Aug 23, 2015
  14. Balisteve Win User
    Hi All,
    I have been having this problem with my Lenovo Laptop and I am not really interested in deleting Avast at this stage until more information comes to light as to what is actually causing this issue. For the time being however, I have been following a procedure that seems to work. I have no idea why but I offer this as it might help others that do not want to delete Avast as they have a paid subscription or perhaps they simply want to keep a Virus Program up and running.
    This works for me:
    1. Enter as Administrator
    2. Control Alt Delete
    3. Choose Task Manager
    4. File and Run New type msconfig
    5. Select Start Up Check Safe Mode
    6. Click OK and allow your machine to re-boot.
    7. I sign in as Administrator at this point. You will find that the problem is no longer there in safe mode.
    8. Select Command Prompt
    9. Type sfc /scannow
    10. The scan will probably return "No files affected" or something that states all was in order. Sorry, I did not write it down.
    11. Type in msconfig again
    12. Select Start Up and Uncheck the Safe Mode box and Hit OK
    13. All back to normal.
    I am NOT a Technician, just stumbled upon this solution as you do when you are desperately seeking solutions to teach a class in an hour and there are no other options. Amazing how one performs under pressure.
    Cheers,

Balisteve, Sep 6, 2015
  15. Rob83HT Win User
    In relation to the removal of the AVAST software, I tried the following:

Just upgraded my AVAST software and this has resolved the issue completely.

For non-techies like me......simply right-click on the AVAST icon on desktop, and click download. System re-boots and works perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Rob83HT, Sep 15, 2015
Thema:

1. CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi - Similar Threads - CRITICAL ERROR Start

2. Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed

in Cortana
    Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed: Recently a few domain joined PCs updated from 1909 to the May 2020 Update 2004, and now two users with roaming profiles have an issue, that after signing in and trying to open the Start Menu, they get an error message about a "Critical Error. Your Start menu isn't working....
  3. Critical Error Start Menu Cortana Not Working

in Cortana
    Critical Error Start Menu Cortana Not Working: Good Day all. I have a very big problem with my pc and I really need a very good solution to solve it if there's any. This error may be common to few but mine is like an evolved version of it. Yes, few people get this error due to some regrettable actions they performed,...
  4. Critical Error. Start menu and Cortana aren't Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Error. Start menu and Cortana aren't Working: I get a bsod with "Critical error. Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try fix it the next time you sign in." Now I'm no pc tech head or anything so I have no clue Wtf is going on. I can't access anything on my laptop. Help me get rid of issue and allow me to use my...
  5. Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working".

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working".: Hello to all on this forum, I am a new member so this is my first post. Hopefully someone will be able to assist On start up I am getting a Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working". I have read and tried many of the possible solutions on this forum with no...
  6. Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working''

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working'': Hi Downloaded Windows 10 over a month ago and it has been working fine since Today I installed the latest version of iTunes and since then I get the following:- Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working - We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in...
  7. Cortana and Start Menu aren't working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu aren't working: I upgraded to Win 10 a week ago and after a long updating session was well pleased with the OS - everything seemed to work normally and much faster than before. However, a day after the last updates were installed (KB3081449 and KB3081448) my normal screen appeared with a...
  8. Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working: Hello people, Hope you can help me to solve this problem! Since I upgraded my computer to Win 10, I'm trying to deal with this problem. When my computer starts it shows the message: "Critical error start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next...
  9. "Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working": Hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop last night from 8.1 and it had been working fine this morning. However in the afternoon I got a notification that there had been a driver failure and I should restart to repair it. Ever since I have though I've been having...
  10. Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana: Ok so when I clicked the start menu I usually saw a 'Start Menu' tile. I never really took it on but I believe it was sometime last week out of curiosity I clicked the tile and a message came up. I don't remember what it wrote but it was basically saying that something wasn't...