Windows 10: Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working''

Discus and support Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working'' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Downloaded Windows 10 over a month ago and it has been working fine since Today I installed the latest version of iTunes and since then I get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DoubleD55, Sep 19, 2015.

1. DoubleD55 Win User

Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working''

Hi

Downloaded Windows 10 over a month ago and it has been working fine since

Today I installed the latest version of iTunes and since then I get the following:-

Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working - We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in

There is then a box which says ''Sign out now''

I do these and it goes back to the Critical error message

Any advice would be appreciated as I seem stuck in this loop

Thanks

Dale

:)

DoubleD55, Sep 19, 2015

2. Windows 10-Where is Windows Update command that was displayed in Windows 8.1 control panel

Thank you but that only works when the start menu doesn't say 'CRITICAL ERROR' Cortana & the Start Menu aren't working.

When I moved the cursor to the task bar all I got was a blue spinning circle.

Philip Ryan the Muppet, Sep 19, 2015
  3. Critical error: Start Menu and Cortana aren't working

Original title: Critical error

Again: Critical error: Start Menu and Cortana aren't working! How can I fix this recurring problem?

PaulRecsei, Sep 19, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi if you look at
    Windows Compatibility Center

and enter itunes, then click on an individual result, you'll see the votes indicate a very mixed experience, whatever that means.

The obvious thing to suggest is uninstalling it- completely. I suggest with the aid of 'Geek uninstaller' (freeware) to check for any remnants.

And ideally you would have enabled System Restore so that you have restore points to revert to (System Restore is disabled by default).

Please post the outcome when you've uninstalled it.

dalchina, Sep 19, 2015
  5. DoubleD55 Win User
    Thanks for the reply

I'm unable to get onto the start menu to do this - also I haven't enabled System Restore as I assumed (wrongly) that it would work like previous versions of Windows

DoubleD55, Sep 19, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi,
    From Win X, can you go to control panel to uninstall itunes? (Via Programs and Features)
    If not,
    What happens if you hit Win R, Win E, for example?
    And can you get into safe mode- does the start menu work then?

dalchina, Sep 19, 2015
  7. DoubleD55 Win User
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say Win X, Win R & Win E -

How would I get into Safe Mode

Thanks

DoubleD55, Sep 19, 2015
  8. altae Win User

Hit F8 during the boot process. You got to figure out when exactly you have to press the key. If you hit the right moment a menu will come up with different boot options, among them is boot in safe mode.

altae, Sep 19, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, sorry, too cryptic.
    "Windows key on the keyboard labelled with the Windows logo" + X = "Win key + X" (at the same time)
    - should bring up a text pop-up menu.

"Windows key on the keyboard labelled with the Windows logo" + R = "Win key + R"
    - should display the 'Run' command box.

As to Safe Mode- please use search. Easy to find that info. In your case I'd suggest
    Win key + X
    Shut down...
    Point to Restart (don't click yet)
    Press and hold SHIFT and left click.
    Then you have to work through a sequence of prompts.
    Best to read it up (search- loads of write-ups and tutorials etc) and make a note if you're not sure before you do it).

(altae- F8 isn't enabled by default in win 10... what do you have in mind?)

dalchina, Sep 19, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    So first try uninstalling itunes
    Windows key + X, Control Panel, Programs and Features, and uninstall it from there.

dalchina, Sep 19, 2015
  11. DoubleD55 Win User
    Thanks - I'll give it a go

DoubleD55, Sep 19, 2015
  12. big10 Win User
    Press Alt, Ctrl, Del keys at th same time, click the power icon at the lower right corner, and choose Restart. After restart, the error message will disappear.

big10, Sep 20, 2015
  13. DoubleD55 Win User

Thanks Big 10 - have tried that but it's a never ending loop back to the Critical Error message

DoubleD55, Sep 20, 2015
  14. big10 Win User
    This method is not an ultimate solution, the error meassge may appear again sometimes.

big10, Sep 20, 2015
  15. mmpostema Win User
    I have been having the same problem since last week. Windows 10 was working great until last Monday & then the critical error. I can boot in safe mode, I can access programs by right clicking on the start button. But, I have left click on it, then I get the critical error. My notification bar won't work & neither does the search bar.
    I haven't installed the latest itunes, so I don't think that was the issue, but I have no idea what caused this or how to fix it.

I have found a work around - creating a new profile & making it local not a ms account.

DoubleD55, is your account a ms account or local? I'm curious if this will affect local accounts at all.

I have heard of using the media creation tool & reinstalling win 10 over the current version, but I haven't tried that.

mmpostema, Sep 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working'' - Similar Threads - Critical Error ''Start

2. Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed

in Cortana
    Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed: Recently a few domain joined PCs updated from 1909 to the May 2020 Update 2004, and now two users with roaming profiles have an issue, that after signing in and trying to open the Start Menu, they get an error message about a "Critical Error. Your Start menu isn't working....
  3. Critical Error Start Menu Cortana Not Working

in Cortana
    Critical Error Start Menu Cortana Not Working: Good Day all. I have a very big problem with my pc and I really need a very good solution to solve it if there's any. This error may be common to few but mine is like an evolved version of it. Yes, few people get this error due to some regrettable actions they performed,...
  4. Critical Error. Start menu and Cortana aren't Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Error. Start menu and Cortana aren't Working: I get a bsod with "Critical error. Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try fix it the next time you sign in." Now I'm no pc tech head or anything so I have no clue Wtf is going on. I can't access anything on my laptop. Help me get rid of issue and allow me to use my...
  5. Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working".

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working".: Hello to all on this forum, I am a new member so this is my first post. Hopefully someone will be able to assist On start up I am getting a Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working". I have read and tried many of the possible solutions on this forum with no...
  6. Cortana and Start Menu aren't working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu aren't working: I upgraded to Win 10 a week ago and after a long updating session was well pleased with the OS - everything seemed to work normally and much faster than before. However, a day after the last updates were installed (KB3081449 and KB3081448) my normal screen appeared with a...
  7. CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi

in Windows 10 Support
    CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi: CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. SIGN OUT NOW I upgraded from WIN 7 SP1 to build 10240 on FAST Track. I did a RECOVERY DRIVE, and after trying to restore from it, I am getting this message - in a loop,...
  8. Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working: Hello people, Hope you can help me to solve this problem! Since I upgraded my computer to Win 10, I'm trying to deal with this problem. When my computer starts it shows the message: "Critical error start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next...
  9. "Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working": Hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop last night from 8.1 and it had been working fine this morning. However in the afternoon I got a notification that there had been a driver failure and I should restart to repair it. Ever since I have though I've been having...
  10. Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana: Ok so when I clicked the start menu I usually saw a 'Start Menu' tile. I never really took it on but I believe it was sometime last week out of curiosity I clicked the tile and a message came up. I don't remember what it wrote but it was basically saying that something wasn't...