Windows 10: Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed

Discus and support Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed in Cortana to solve the problem; Recently a few domain joined PCs updated from 1909 to the May 2020 Update 2004, and now two users with roaming profiles have an issue, that after... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by ArminatorX, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed

Recently a few domain joined PCs updated from 1909 to the May 2020 Update 2004, and now two users with roaming profiles have an issue, that after signing in and trying to open the Start Menu, they get an error message about a "Critical Error. Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." with a "Sign out now" button.

But signing out and back in doesn't resolve the issue. They immediately get the same error again.

After reading through https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/start-layout-troubleshoot I found that the ShellExperienceHost IS installed, whereas Cortana seems to be NOT.

When I run the Powershell command get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana I only get a command prompt. No output at all.

Another page suggested to install Cortana from the Windows Store, but the store App doesn't start, either, and when I click on the "Get" button on the website, it probably wants to start the App Store, which doesn't start.

Trying to install Cortana via Powershell Command doesn't seem to work.

When I sign out, and sign in with another user, the Start menu works.

I then tried to reset the affected user profiles. I moved the whole roaming profile folder on the file server to a backup folder. Then I moved the local user folder to a backup folder as well.

In the registry, I deleted the profile entry from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Profile List

After rebooting, the start menu is still not working for that user.

I then also tried WSRESET.exe to try to get the Windows Store app running, so I could try to install Cortana.

But after the WSRESET is finished, I get an error message that I need a newer app to open ms-windows-store links.

So I took a spare PC, and did a fresh, clean install of Windows 10 2004 from an USB Stick created with the Media Creation tool.

After joining the Domain and installing all Windows Updates, I again cleared the roaming Profile from the file server.

The user signed in on the newly installed PC and immediately got the Critical Start Menu Error again.

What can I do to get the Start menu working for that user again?

:)

ArminatorX, Aug 3, 2020

2. Critical Error message that the Start menu isn't working

Hi Patti,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concerned. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better, please provide us more information.

• What is the complete error message do you received?
    • When exactly do you get this error message?
    Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. I would suggest you to go to the below link and try the steps provided by Ravinath P

“Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

“Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

If the issue still persist, you can also visit the below link and try the steps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Hope this helps. Please let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Critical Error Your start menu isn't working

Hi Lesley,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. I would suggest you to go to the below link and try the suggestion provided Ravinath P.

Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed

Critical Error: Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in.

Hi Sameer,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are having a tough time working on the computer.

I will certainly help you to resolve the issue.

• What all steps you have tried to resolve the issue?
    I suggest you to refer to the following article and check if it helps.

Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

Also, see: Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.

Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed

1. Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed - Similar Threads - Critical Error Start

2. Critical Error, Start menu isn't working.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical Error, Start menu isn't working.: I have had this problem for around two days now and I have been searching the internet for ways to fix this issue, let me break down my situation. I built this computer on Christmas in 2020, I couldn't afford to buy the license for the official Windows 10 edition so I used...
  3. Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working: I am using a MS Surface Pro Tablet. I all of a sudden am getting "Critical Error Your Start menu isn't working" How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-error-start-menu-isnt-working/b306954b-f2c9-4b35-80c6-e4150fa0c22d
  4. Critical Error Start Menu Cortana Not Working

in Cortana
    Critical Error Start Menu Cortana Not Working: Good Day all. I have a very big problem with my pc and I really need a very good solution to solve it if there's any. This error may be common to few but mine is like an evolved version of it. Yes, few people get this error due to some regrettable actions they performed,...
  5. Critical error - start menu isn't working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical error - start menu isn't working: So I have had a new Dell Vostro with Windows 10 Professional for a little over a month. A couple of days ago Microsoft updated with KB4524147, which broke the print spooler. Took a few hours to figure that out, then rolled back the update and that fixed it. Today, 2 new...
  6. Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working".

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working".: Hello to all on this forum, I am a new member so this is my first post. Hopefully someone will be able to assist On start up I am getting a Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working". I have read and tried many of the possible solutions on this forum with no...
  7. Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working''

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working'': Hi Downloaded Windows 10 over a month ago and it has been working fine since Today I installed the latest version of iTunes and since then I get the following:- Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working - We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in...
  8. Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working: Hello people, Hope you can help me to solve this problem! Since I upgraded my computer to Win 10, I'm trying to deal with this problem. When my computer starts it shows the message: "Critical error start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next...
  9. "Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working": Hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop last night from 8.1 and it had been working fine this morning. However in the afternoon I got a notification that there had been a driver failure and I should restart to repair it. Ever since I have though I've been having...
  10. Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana: Ok so when I clicked the start menu I usually saw a 'Start Menu' tile. I never really took it on but I believe it was sometime last week out of curiosity I clicked the tile and a message came up. I don't remember what it wrote but it was basically saying that something wasn't...