Windows 10: Critical process died bsod and boot menu does not show ssd drive with os

Discus and support Critical process died bsod and boot menu does not show ssd drive with os in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I’ve had problems with random crashing with my laptop for about a year. Crashes either show a bsod for a second or go straight to a black screen. They... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by alunaw, Sep 12, 2020.

1. alunaw Win User

Critical process died bsod and boot menu does not show ssd drive with os

I’ve had problems with random crashing with my laptop for about a year. Crashes either show a bsod for a second or go straight to a black screen. They do not make dmp files. I recently got a picture of one bsod which had a “critical process died” error. Crashes will occur randomly, but I’ve noticed that moving the laptop almost always results in a crash within a couple minutes unless I move it very slowly.

In the last month or so, I’ve also has issues with booting, usually after a crash. The computer will try booting through the network Start PXE over IPv4 and then IPv6. When those fail, the boot menu will come up with options for Windows Boot Manager, ATA HDD, PCI LAN: EFI Network IPv4, PCI LAN: EFI Network IPv6, but it does not list my SSD which stores the os.

I just shut down after this happens. It seems the longer I wait after shut down to start up again, the more likely the computer is to successfully startup and the longer time between startup and the next crash.

I also previously got help here fixing frequent crashes by removing old software. Most of those crashes were I’m assuming also critical process died crashes, so the old software seemed to exasperate the main crashing issue.

I’m guessing the issue is a hardware issue where the ssd suddenly becomes unrecognizable. Could this simply be an issue with a physical connection? Would the issue be better resolved by moving the os to a different drive?

:)

alunaw, Sep 12, 2020
  2. JoshSmart Win User

Critical Process Died BSOD after "PC Reset"

The OS was super laggy and then died. I think my ssd is dead. I found an article that mentioned symptoms of bad blocks on an ssd and if you look at the big picture and not just the recent BSOD most of my random BSODS were either currupt system image, bootloader,
    or critical process died. None of them were repairable with windows tools so it seems it cojld be the drive.

JoshSmart, Sep 12, 2020
  3. MGr_312 Win User
    BSOD, Critical Process Died

I had been experiencing crashes not limited to critical process died, to the point that I couldn't even load windows in safe mode, the computer even crashed while in the shift+restart menu.

I have formatted the drive and reinstalled windows, updated my drivers, and have once again experienced a BSOD.

I am using Windows 10 pro x64 version 1709

Running sfc /scannow shows no issues.

Running Chkdsk shows no issues.

I'm using an SSD and S.M.A.R.T shows no issues.

When the crash occurred the BSOD was stuck at 0% so I had to hard reset and it created no crash dump.

MGr_312, Sep 12, 2020
  4. Critical process died bsod and boot menu does not show ssd drive with os

critical process died in windows 10

Hi,

To resolve your concern about the critical process died in Windows 10, we suggest that you do the system diagnostics. Here are the steps:

• Boot your computer and continuously press ESC key on your keyboard until you reach the
      Startup menu.
    • From the Startup menu, press F2 (or whatever the designated key is) for
      System Diagnostics.
    • Use arrow keys to navigate and choose Hard Drive Check.
    • Choose Extensive Check.
    Allow it to finish then boot your computer as normal.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Critical process died bsod and boot menu does not show ssd drive with os

1. Critical process died bsod and boot menu does not show ssd drive with os - Similar Threads - Critical process died

2. Critical Process Died - BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Process Died - BSOD: Hello,There was a blackout, and upon starting my computer, I was greeted with the blue screen of death, with the only message being "Critical Process Died."I attempted all the recovery options available:Safe mode gives the same error; critical process diedchkdsk /r completed,...
  3. BSOD Critical Process Died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Critical Process Died: I accidently installed a new audio driver which ended up messing up my system. I did a system restore and the PC booted as normal. I shut the computer off when I went for dinner. When I returned to turn the computer back on, I got the BSOD with the critical process died. I...
  4. BSoD Critical process died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD Critical process died: Hello. A month ago I ran into a problem - Windows 10, a BSoD with an Error: Critical Process Died began to appear. I decided to upgrade to Windows 11, because my laptop is made for this system. After updating to a new system, periodically again began to knock out a blue...
  5. BSoD Critical process died

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD Critical process died: Hello. A month ago I ran into a problem - Windows 10, a BSoD with an Error: Critical Process Died began to appear. I decided to upgrade to Windows 11, because my laptop is made for this system. After updating to a new system, periodically again began to knock out a blue...
  6. BSOD Critical Process Died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Critical Process Died: Hi,Since yesterday, i have been having issues with my PC. It keeps on going to a BSOD Critical Process Died. I have google this up and followed the sfc /scannow and other methods, but none work. Sometimes my pc freezes after i type in my pin, other times it lets me sign in,...
  7. Critical Process Died bsod

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Critical Process Died bsod: I am stuck in an automatic repair loop, can’t uninstall updates, can’t system restore even with restore point, I have reset bios multiple times, no system image recovery, multiple different scans yet no problem found, no idea what is wrong with pc and not even being able to...
  8. Critical Process Died bsod

Critical Process Died bsod: I am stuck in an automatic repair loop, can’t uninstall updates, can’t system restore even with restore point, I have reset bios multiple times, no system image recovery, multiple different scans yet no problem found, no idea what is wrong with pc and not even being able to...
  9. BSOD Critical Process Died

BSOD Critical Process Died: My PC BSOD'ed 5 times in a row now, here's a link to the minidump files https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuFFvdJOMwSV0mzAdR1EmCi8nWBR?e=ynEBa6 Can I get a help on what's going on? I just had an update last night btw, so I'm not sure if that's somehow related. Thanks...
  10. BSOD - Critical Process Died

BSOD - Critical Process Died: Hi, could anyone check on my BSOD logs? I get the feeling it might be a hardware issue as I have reinstalled OS multiple times already and it still occurs. Thanks! BSOD sometimes shows CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. Though I do notice sometimes it showed UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION....