Windows 10: Critical Process Died BSOD (BugCheck 239/159) + VolmGr 161 error

Discus and support Critical Process Died BSOD (BugCheck 239/159) + VolmGr 161 error in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been getting incessant BSODs for the past 2 months. Initially it was a NetBT 4311 error pertaining to NordVPN's interactions with new network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by lumpiestspoon3, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Critical Process Died BSOD (BugCheck 239/159) + VolmGr 161 error

I've been getting incessant BSODs for the past 2 months. Initially it was a NetBT 4311 error pertaining to NordVPN's interactions with new network drivers, but I've since rolled back the drivers and uninstalled NordVPN completely. The NetBT errors stopped, but BSODs continued. This entire time, the system has failed to create Minidump files (volmgr 161). I finally received a minidump after an abnormal crash (several minutes of hang, no blue screen), but I'm not sure if the NT kernel error it describes is the main cause behind all the other BSODs. Again, I have never seen a minidump for the type of crash that normally happens (freezes for 5-15 seconds, then blue screen).
    My OS version is 19042.844 (Windows 10 20H2)

Things I've tried:
    SFC, DISM restore health, chkdsk, a repair install (in-place upgrade), Windows Memory Diagnostic, updating drivers, rolling back drivers. I ran Driver Verifier and it succeeded in forcing a BSOD, but it failed to produce dump files just like the rest, so I still don't know which driver/application is causing the issue.
    All my drives are healthy as far as I can tell, since I've run several diagnostics that all came up clean.

The recent (and only) minidump file: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
    The ZIP from the TenForums V2 log tool: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

:)

lumpiestspoon3, Feb 27, 2021
  2. Kapil Arya MVP, Feb 27, 2021
  3. Critical Process Died Error

Recently while using the internet my computer experienced a BSOD which listed the Critical Process Died as the error. Before this happened my computer kept popping up with a message I believe was saying that the display adapter driver crashed and then was recovered. It should also be mentioned that I recently upgraded my system with a new graphics card, after my old one died, and with a new case. That was my first time ever doing something like that, so I wouldn't be surprised if that could be a problem.

Sixthdaemonfox, Feb 27, 2021
  4. Critical Process Died BSOD (BugCheck 239/159) + VolmGr 161 error

BSOD - Critical Process Died

Hi Tony,

The blue screen error with a stop code 'Critical Process Died' that you encountered can be caused by a recent update, device drivers that got corrupted or system files that got corrupted. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• What changes were made or what updates were installed prior to the issue occurring?
    • Did you mean to say that you ran your device in safe mode when you said that you booted the device with only Microsoft Processes running?
    • Which version and build of Windows 10 is installed on your device?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest that you follow the steps on this
    link
    to run the driver verifier. Driver verifier is an inbuilt tool in the Windows operating system, which helps you to test the drivers which may be corrupted. These corrupted drivers may contribute as to why you're getting a "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD)
    or stop errors.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

Critical Process Died BSOD (BugCheck 239/159) + VolmGr 161 error

1. Critical Process Died BSOD (BugCheck 239/159) + VolmGr 161 error - Similar Threads - Critical Process Died

2. BSOD error : Critical Process Died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD error : Critical Process Died: Running VM Windows 11 ARM on M1 Mac and got this BSOD error:I've tried running DISM /Restore switches and/or other command but they failed with "/Cleanup" unknown switch or something....I'm doing this from Recovery, Troubleshoot, Command PromptUnable to get into Safe Mode....
  3. BSOD error : Critical Process Died

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD error : Critical Process Died: Running VM Windows 11 ARM on M1 Mac and got this BSOD error:I've tried running DISM /Restore switches and/or other command but they failed with "/Cleanup" unknown switch or something....I'm doing this from Recovery, Troubleshoot, Command PromptUnable to get into Safe Mode....
  4. BSOD with error volmgr 161

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD with error volmgr 161: windows 10 home - 21H1 goes through BSOD very often. windows memory diagnostic and memtest86 passed with no errors. This is the event log:Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation. - Provider [ Name] volmgr - EventID 161 [ Qualifiers] 49156 Version 0 Level 2...
  5. BSOD with error volmgr 161

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD with error volmgr 161: windows 10 home - 21H1 goes through BSOD very often. windows memory diagnostic and memtest86 passed with no errors. This is the event log:Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation. - Provider [ Name] volmgr - EventID 161 [ Qualifiers] 49156 Version 0 Level 2...
  6. BSOD with error volmgr 161

7. BSOD Kernel 41 bugcheck 292, with volmgr 161

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Kernel 41 bugcheck 292, with volmgr 161: Hello.I have a lot of BSOD recently, WHEA uncorrectable error, and when I go into the Event Viewer, Kernel 41 with bugcheck 292 occur. Just before, there is also a volmgr 161.I looked after the dump files, but obviously, there isn't any of it. I tried a lot of things to solve...
  8. BSOD Kernel 41 bugcheck 292, with volmgr 161

BSOD Kernel 41 bugcheck 292, with volmgr 161: Hello.I have a lot of BSOD recently, WHEA uncorrectable error, and when I go into the Event Viewer, Kernel 41 with bugcheck 292 occur. Just before, there is also a volmgr 161.I looked after the dump files, but obviously, there isn't any of it. I tried a lot of things to solve...
  9. BSOD Kernel 41 bugcheck 292, with volmgr 161

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Critical Process Died bsod

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Process Died bsod: I am stuck in an automatic repair loop, can’t uninstall updates, can’t system restore even with restore point, I have reset bios multiple times, no system image recovery, multiple different scans yet no problem found, no idea what is wrong with pc and not even being able to...