Windows 10: Critical System driver is missing or corrupt. Automatic repair fails.

Discus and support Critical System driver is missing or corrupt. Automatic repair fails. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I used to fix computers awhile back. Decided to help out an old customer, who can't find anyone to fix his computer during the Christmas period. He... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by subby, Dec 28, 2017.

1. subby Win User

Critical System driver is missing or corrupt. Automatic repair fails.

I used to fix computers awhile back. Decided to help out an old customer, who can't find anyone to fix his computer during the Christmas period. He says its stuck in a automatic startup repair loop. And the last thing he did on the computer was click restart to install some windows updates. He said he tried a few fixes he found on youtube fixboot and fixmbr etc. But none of them worked. The Last thing he tried was fix boot problems using a macrium repair disc. And this is where I pickup the computer.

I using macrium myself to create images of the 2 HD's in the computer. And checked the health of the HD's with HD Sentinel. And health is good with them. I then tried startup repair options and tried to get into safe mode. System restore doesn't work either.

I attached a screenshot of the screen it boots into atm.

What would be my next step to take to tried and fix this computer?

:)

subby, Dec 28, 2017
  2. Riel Alc Win User

critical service failed

Hello,

If your Operating System has a corrupted or missing System File, Windows will run an automatic repair. If the corrupted System File is critical, the automatic repair will not work.

To resolve the critical service failed error, please check
    Babu V
    's post in this thread.

Let us know the result.

Riel Alc, Dec 28, 2017
  3. tv_binger Win User
    Need Help with BSODs

I tried to disable automatic startup repair and was met with this message:

Recovery

Your PC/device needs to be repaired. The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors

File: \windows\system32\drivers\acpi.sys

Error code: 0xc0000b7b

tv_binger, Dec 28, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi subby,

Is SFC tried?

The error code means there's a bug in the mentioned driver, likely due to improper replacement.

5. subby Win User
    I have attempted the SFC scan, and have just done it a 2nd time. When finished it says 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.'

subby, Dec 29, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Any chance there's a restore point or system image available from before the update?

7. subby Win User
    Nope no system image, and I tried System Restore, it seems it was disabled. I have tried Reset and it failed. I think i will have to do a clean install.

subby, Dec 29, 2017
  8. subby Win User

Also I tried rebuildbcd command, and says device cannot be found.

subby, Dec 29, 2017
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Since you know how to get to a Command Prompt, try running chkdsk x: /x /f /r (where x: is your OS drive).

Show us the output of diskpart as well.

diskpart
    list disk (post result)
    sel disk n (where n is the OS disk)
    detail disk (post result)
    list par (post result)
    exit

Ztruker, Dec 29, 2017
  10. subby Win User
    here is the diskpart results. chkdsk is running now.

Critical System driver is missing or corrupt. Automatic repair fails. [​IMG]

subby, Dec 29, 2017
  11. subby Win User
    chkdsk results. 'Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required.'

subby, Dec 29, 2017
  12. Ztruker Win User
    So you ran chkdsk d: /x /f /r

Try these, in order:

bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

Capture results and post please. If that doesn't work or the rebuildbcd command fails again, follow the directions posted here by Vijay B:
    Total identified Windows installations: 0

Ztruker, Dec 29, 2017
  13. subby Win User

Yes i ran on D drive.
    Results of above commands.

Critical System driver is missing or corrupt. Automatic repair fails. [​IMG]

Performing the tasks posted by Vijay now.

subby, Dec 29, 2017
  14. subby Win User
    Performing these tasks mentioned by Vijay, I get different results than what he posted.

I get 'Total identified Windows installations: 1, instead of 0

and the export command 'The store export operation has failed. The requested system device cannot be found.'

Should i still continue ?

subby, Dec 29, 2017
  15. zbook New Member
    In command prompt type: bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    For the drive with the partition type the drive letter for example C: or D:
    Then type dir
    The proper drive would display: perflogs, program files, program files (x86), users, windows, etc

zbook, Dec 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Critical System driver is missing or corrupt. Automatic repair fails. - Similar Threads - Critical System driver

2. Wof.sys, critical driver missing or corrupt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wof.sys, critical driver missing or corrupt: What should i do? wof.sys showing 0 bytes, when i loggedin through different os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wofsys-critical-driver-missing-or-corrupt/0c289a53-08de-44db-89df-3d63c0c65635
  3. Wof.sys, critical driver missing or corrupt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wof.sys, critical driver missing or corrupt: What should i do? wof.sys showing 0 bytes, when i loggedin through different os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wofsys-critical-driver-missing-or-corrupt/0c289a53-08de-44db-89df-3d63c0c65635
  4. Wof.sys, critical driver missing or corrupt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recovery Error ACPI.sys Your Pc needs to be repaired a critical system driver is missing or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Error ACPI.sys Your Pc needs to be repaired a critical system driver is missing or...: Hello My Pc is facing some problem while booting I don't have a installation disc The last Time I was using it I ran a sfc scan which said it found corrupt files but can't fix and I ran A Dism scan and reinstall the disk driver which had some problems and I can't start any...
  6. Recovery Error ACPI.sys Your Pc needs to be repaired a critical system driver is missing or...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Error ACPI.sys Your Pc needs to be repaired a critical system driver is missing or...: Hello My Pc is facing some problem while booting I don't have a installation disc The last Time I was using it I ran a sfc scan which said it found corrupt files but can't fix and I ran A Dism scan and reinstall the disk driver which had some problems and I can't start any...
  7. Failed System Restore - Failed Automatic Repair

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Failed System Restore - Failed Automatic Repair: Greetings everyone. I attempted to Restore (Recover/Reset - whatever it's called now) my 11 month old Lenovo laptop to a previous date. After about 15 minutes it displayed a message saying the process failed and would restart. It never restarted, just shut down. I manually...
  8. Failed System Restore - Failed Automatic Repair

in Windows 10 Support
    Failed System Restore - Failed Automatic Repair: Greetings everyone. I attempted to Restore (Recover/Reset - whatever it's called now) my 11 month old Lenovo laptop to a previous date. After about 15 minutes it displayed a message saying the process failed and would restart. It never restarted, just shut down. I manually...
  9. Repair corrupted and missing system files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Repair corrupted and missing system files.: 1st method try performing sfc 1. Open start menu 2. Type cmd 3. Run cmd as aministrator 4. Type sfc /scannow 2nd method dism In cmd type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth...
  10. Critical Service Failed - Automatic Repair and Advanced Options

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical Service Failed - Automatic Repair and Advanced Options: Hi. My first post so bear with me please. Running Windows 10 for about 6 months, on Acer Aspire 5742 (500 GB with i5 processor, 4 GB DDR3) laptop with no major problems. While using DiskCleanup to remove about 10GB of files in Recycle Bin, Temporary files etc, I noticed that...