Windows 10: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED after machine running for an hour or so

Discus and support CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED after machine running for an hour or so in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Since a recent windows update my machine dies every hour or so with BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on Windows 10 (version 20H2 OS Build 19042.685). It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by goldenc, Jan 6, 2021.

1. goldenc Win User

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED after machine running for an hour or so

Hi,
    Since a recent windows update my machine dies every hour or so with BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on Windows 10 (version 20H2 OS Build 19042.685). It always stays stuck on 0% and I never get any dump files created. I couldn't see anything obvious in the event log either to suggest what might be wrong. It even happens when I boot into safe mode with networking. The first thing I tried was to reinstall windows from scratch (formatted hard drive) but it still happens. Also rried removing the graphics card to use the standard Intel display driver from my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-H67A-USB3-B3, Intel H67), running memtest, scandsk, dism but everything appears fine. Running out of ideas, hard to know if it was a coincidence but it does only seem to have started happening since the last big windows update. Here is a link to the output from the logs collector. Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

:)

goldenc, Jan 6, 2021

2. Critical_Process_Died BSOD

Hi,

In order to resolve your concern, we suggest that you to follow these steps:

• If you've installed any new apps or devices, uninstall or unplug them and restart your PC.
    • Make sure your PC has the latest updates:
    • Go to the search box.
    • Type Windows Update then Enter.
    • Select Check for updates.
    • In the Settings menu, select Check for updates button.
    • When it's finished, restart your PC.

You may also check this
    link
    for more troubleshooting steps regarding critical_process_died error message.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Jan 6, 2021
  3. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with Blue screen error on Windows 10. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Were you able to see any error code along with the error message?
    • Have you made any hardware/ software changes to the device prior to this issue?
    • Have you checked if the issue persists on Safe mode with networking as well?

The CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bug check has a value of 0x000000EF. This indicates that a critical system process died.

Step 1: As you have performed SFC scan, found some corrupted and couldn't fix, try the below and check if it helps.

If you are not able to repair some files after performing SFC scan, I suggest you to refer to the point 3 “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log
    %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log”. Under the section “Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)” to repair the corrupted files after performing SFC scan.

Refer: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system
    files

Step 2: If the issue still persists, I suggest you to perform DISM on your system to fix corrupted system files.

Refer: Fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISMor System Update Readiness tool

Step 3: I suggest you to install the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 6, 2021
  4. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED after machine running for an hour or so

Hourly BSOD with the error Critical_Process_Died

About every hour I get a BSOD with the error, Critical_Process_Died. The BSOD completes "gathering info" and when it gets to 100% it does not restart. The only processes I have been running are chrome and trying to do malwarebytes scan. I checked the event viewer and every single one of these critical events are listed under Kernel-Power. Does anybody have a solution to this issue that does not include completely backing up my PC?

shivasayian, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED after machine running for an hour or so

1. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED after machine running for an hour or so - Similar Threads - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED machine running

2. PC runs slow after an hour of being on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC runs slow after an hour of being on: It just starts going to like 1 frame per second on my home screen and on a game, used to use crtl shift windows b, would fix it but that doesnt work anymore. thats kinda all ive tired. happens after abt an hour or 30 minutes....
  3. So after an hour searching for customer support

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    So after an hour searching for customer support: can anyone tell me how the heck to get in contact with customer support. Its crazy how this keep sending me in circles saying click her to speak with support only to give me a window to the FAQ database...
  4. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED after fixing mbr

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED after fixing mbr: I wanted to delete a dualboot Windows10/Linux to only have Windows. I forgot (It was some years ago) that I configured it to boot on the drive with Linux where they is grub, and then from grub automatically boot into Windows (or choose to go on Linux). So instead of just...
  5. After update it runs so so so slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After update it runs so so so slow: Hi there, I have this laptop for 4 years now. It is an ACER Aspire E15 and I can just write what it is written on it as I do not really understand ”computers” :)) IntelCore i5-5200U Intel HD Graphics 5500 6 GB DDR3 L Memory 1000GB HDD When I bought it I just googled...
  6. Critical_Process_Died almost exactly every 2 hours

Critical_Process_Died almost exactly every 2 hours: Recently we had a rare power outage here, and ever since then almost exactly every 2 hours on the dot I'm getting a BSoD Critical_Process_Died error. I've ran memtest, tried the 'system reset', start up repair, sfc /scannow, etc, but nothing has worked so far. I'd rather...
  7. BSOD- CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED while computer is running

BSOD- CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED while computer is running: I get the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD whenever using my computer. It's difficult to tell a specific time its happening, but I'm pretty sure its random. I already completely reset my PC and after installed all the necessary drivers (graphics, sound, network) it started...
  8. BSOD critical_process_died with no dump after 2 hours of uptime

BSOD critical_process_died with no dump after 2 hours of uptime: Hi, I've a Dell XPS 15 9550 (512GB SSD PCIe) that gives me a BSOD after at least two hours of uptime. It doesn't create any dump, it only gives me the error on the BSOD critical_process_died. I alredy tried to do various clean install of the OS redownloaded a lot of times and...
  9. Hourly BSOD with the error Critical_Process_Died

Hourly BSOD with the error Critical_Process_Died: About every hour I get a BSOD with the error, Critical_Process_Died. The BSOD completes "gathering info" and when it gets to 100% it does not restart. The only processes I have been running are chrome and trying to do malwarebytes scan. I checked the event viewer and every...
  10. 3rd party apps run slower after an hour or so.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    3rd party apps run slower after an hour or so.: I've recently been having this problem where accessing files from my any of my six hard drives takes about 10x longer than usual. It used to be that I could double-click on an image and it'd come up instantly, now it takes a good 3 or 4 seconds. This is pretty much true of...