Windows 10: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: Hardware failure?

Discus and support CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: Hardware failure? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So my laptop was all fine until 3rd May when it had two BSODs couldn't catch the code, and all crashes listed in this thread simply does not make a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BShenLow, May 9, 2020.

1. BShenLow Win User

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: Hardware failure?

So my laptop was all fine until 3rd May when it had two BSODs couldn't catch the code, and all crashes listed in this thread simply does not make a memory dump into the system - I checked on Event Logs and it seemed like Windows failed to create a full dump so the log end up with a bunch of incomplete hex codes.

All hell went loose on 7th May when I had NINE crashes with a few essentially crashing into a bootloop.

Tried to run Windows in safe mode but amazingly BSODs still happened, so I suspect it'd be either some sort of kernel problem OR a hardware failure of some sort.

Here are some of the codes that I recorded in chronological order, might skipped one or two because I couldn't catch the code in time:

UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

UNEXPECTED_STORE EXCEPTION

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED two or three times in a row, bootlooped, occurred in Safe Mode as well

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on 8th May and all subsequent crashes

*all codes seemed to point towards hardware failure as the cause in common.

**none were dumped into logs, all were caught on camera.

After 6th? / 9th crash, Windows couldn't even boot at all BIOS says no bootable device. I tried to do a Startup Repair but Windows says it failed to repair for some reason. Somehow it was able to boot again after I leave my laptop to switch off for some time.

Among the few crashes, it seemed to happen during my file transfer process I was doing some emergency backup from my HDD although there's a few times it crashes while I was on YouTube or playing video from my HDD. In some cases it crashes on idle state I suspect there was disk activity one time I was checking on disk status and saw System is reading data in the background.

Specs:

HP Pavilion 15-au136tx

i7-7500U

940MX with a busted heatpipe

Boot drive: 128GB onboard SSD supplied by Samsung

Storage drive: 1TB onboard HDD supplied by WD

SMART status: OK checked on both OS level and UEFI level

No hardware errors on RAM/storage/CPU based on a few fast to medium speed diagnostic tests from UEFI.

Did sfc /scannow and found a problem but still crashed later on. DISM did not get any problems, chkdsk C: / D: did not get anything.

How high of a chance it might be a hardware failure? I'm not planning on buying a new one until Ryzen 4000 gaming laptops are available in my country.

:)

BShenLow, May 9, 2020

2. Critical_Process_Died BSOD

Hi,

In order to resolve your concern, we suggest that you to follow these steps:

• If you've installed any new apps or devices, uninstall or unplug them and restart your PC.
    • Make sure your PC has the latest updates:
    • Go to the search box.
    • Type Windows Update then Enter.
    • Select Check for updates.
    • In the Settings menu, select Check for updates button.
    • When it's finished, restart your PC.

You may also check this
    link
    for more troubleshooting steps regarding critical_process_died error message.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, May 9, 2020
  3. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with Blue screen error on Windows 10. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Were you able to see any error code along with the error message?
    • Have you made any hardware/ software changes to the device prior to this issue?
    • Have you checked if the issue persists on Safe mode with networking as well?

The CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bug check has a value of 0x000000EF. This indicates that a critical system process died.

Step 1: As you have performed SFC scan, found some corrupted and couldn't fix, try the below and check if it helps.

If you are not able to repair some files after performing SFC scan, I suggest you to refer to the point 3 “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log
    %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log”. Under the section “Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)” to repair the corrupted files after performing SFC scan.

Refer: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system
    files

Step 2: If the issue still persists, I suggest you to perform DISM on your system to fix corrupted system files.

Refer: Fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISMor System Update Readiness tool

Step 3: I suggest you to install the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, May 9, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Multiple BSOD hardware issue or driver issue ?

Hi Iriszer0,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

To have a better clarity on the issue and guide you accordingly, respond to the question listed below.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to try the steps listed in
    troubleshoot blue screen errors
    and check if it works.

Meanwhile you may also go through:

1. troubleshoot CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
    2. troubleshoot CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
    3. troubleshoot SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Regards,

Junaid_A, May 9, 2020
Thema:

1. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: Hardware failure? - Similar Threads - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Hardware failure

2. Is this hardware failure?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is this hardware failure?: Following clean-ups of my C drive, Windows suddenly began acting hostile towards my management and restricted nearly everything.I cannot access my desktop, not my harddrives, not the startup menu, my admin rights were revoked and I can't even access regular settings.I tried...
  3. Is this hardware failure?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this hardware failure?: Following clean-ups of my C drive, Windows suddenly began acting hostile towards my management and restricted nearly everything.I cannot access my desktop, not my harddrives, not the startup menu, my admin rights were revoked and I can't even access regular settings.I tried...
  4. Is this hardware failure?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. NMI Hardware Failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NMI Hardware Failure: I have just purchased this laptop. Unfortunately, I encounter the blue screen and an automatic restart. This tends to happen every time I watch something on youtube for longer that 2 to 5 minutes. I have looked at a few articles and download Restoro. Issues were found but I...
  6. System failure Hardware

System failure Hardware: Hello. Yesterday I got my PC's motherboard , processor , fan and PSU replaced. It was running well until I faced a screen freeze . I was running windows normally and suddenly got screen freezed , the keyboard's light also got turned off but the Mouse remained on and then...
  7. Hardware Failure

Hardware Failure: The last couple of days been having PC problems. In the mornings when watching a video the PC would freeze and a buzzing sounding. Then the PC would restart, no BSOD just restarted. This morning, turned on the monitor and was greeted with a "no signal' message on the scree....
  8. nmi hardware failure

nmi hardware failure: i recently meet a nmi hardware failure problem a it keeps blue screen for every 5mins, i tried the guide on this page https://windowsreport.com/nmi_hardware_failure-windows-10/2/ and it back to blue screen after an hour, tried reset windows and still not working and i...
  9. Media Test Failure Error after CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error

Media Test Failure Error after CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error: I was using my computer then suddenly CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error came then there was power cut for 2 min, When I booted my Pc, I got error 'Media Test Failure : Check Cable, No bootable device'....
  10. Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure?

Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure?: My external harddrive is relatively new; no more than 2 years. It has been failing to be recognized my my PC and getting an I/O error when in Safe Mode. When not in safe mode, it just stops being recognized by my PC. Explorer also has it labeled as a 7.27TB harddrive when...