Windows 10: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot

Discus and support CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. My mom's laptop is crashing on boot with a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. It boots in Safe Mode but most things are unresponsive: no windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Artist, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Artist Win User

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot

Hi.
    My mom's laptop is crashing on boot with a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error.

It boots in Safe Mode but most things are unresponsive: no windows menu, command prompt opens right away but admin prompt takes 10-20 minutes to open, so do task manager window, driver install windows etc...

I got rid of graphics drivers, but can't install the new ones (all installers fail).

I tried to use win10 usb (this is an upgraded window to win10 home) to run startup repair.
    It fails.

Ran
    bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    bootrec.exe /fixm
    brbootrec.exe /fixboot

Changed nothing.

Can't run sfc /scannow (doesn't run in safe mode, and displays nothing from the win10 usb).
    Ran chdksk and it fixed a couple errors but didn't fix this issue.

Just re-ran "chkdsk c: /r /x" from usb, it returns NTFSNTFSNTFSCan't use system restore (none of the 4 points work).

Removed the last windows update in safe mode, didn't fix the issue (was a security update for flash).

Here's the ntbtlog: ntbtlog.txt

And the SrtTrail.txt : SrtTrail.txt

What else can I do to figure this out?

I'd like to try a windows repair install by now, but I can't even do this since it doesn't work from safe mode and I need to boot at least once. *Sad

:)

Artist, Mar 1, 2017
  2. farmerb0y Win User

Windows 10 - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

I'm also encountering this problem. I upgraded yesterday and now when I'm signing on, when the Welcome comes in that is the time that the Critical_Process_Died. I can boot normally but the problems comes out upon login.

farmerb0y, Mar 1, 2017
  3. ehijiele1 Win User
    Windows 10 CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on Lenovo G570

Thank you for responding, to get the files required means I have to be able to boot the system which at the moment is not possible as I keep getting the BSOD with the message "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" when I boot normally and with safe mode. What do I do
    please?

ehijiele1, Mar 1, 2017
  4. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot

Artist,

Is this happening on an MSI?

Are you able to use F8 to get to the Advanced Boot Options menu, and select: Repair Your Computer?

Is this the option you tried:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

*Arrow Another option:

Please try shutting down the computer pressing the Power button. You may have to press it for 15-20 seconds until it eventually shuts down.

Now, press the Power button to turn on the PC, and, just as Windows starts to load (round dots rotating), press and hold the power button down until it turns off.

Repeat the same actions two more times, and, on the third try, instead of the round dots, the PC shows 'Please wait...' and then boots into Recovery mode.

At this screen, press the following button: See Advanced Repair Options
    On the Choose an option screen, click: Troubleshoot > next window click: Advanced Options, and at the next window click: Startup Repair

Let us know what develops.

cottonball, Mar 2, 2017
  5. Artist Win User
    It's an Acer aspire v3.

>Is this the option you tried:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

I would like to do that, but I can't. You can only run it from windows normal boot, not from the usb or safe boot. And I can only boot in safe mode.

Startup repair just says it couldn't repair the PC. That's from the win10 usb, since I do not get the option from recovery boot (Only options there are: Enter to try again, F8 for startup options or ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings).

Artist, Mar 2, 2017
  6. Artist,

Did the Acer come with Windows 10 installed?
    (Assuming it does.)

Also, from the info you are providing, can we assume that the hard start got you to Startup Repair, but, SR can't repair the laptop.

Have you tried Alt F10 to access the Recovery Image?

If still no-go, see if you can do the following from Safe Mode:

Right-click Start > Command Prompt (Admin)

Type in the following commands, one at a time, and press Enter after each:
    Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    list partition
    exit

Now, at C:|Windows\Sstem32, type:
    reagent /info

Use Edit (left top) > Select all,
    Edit > Copy,
    Edit > Paste, and provide the results in your reply.

cottonball, Mar 2, 2017
  7. Artist Win User
    It came with 8 or 8.1 and got the free win 10 upgrade. Getting the info now, but it takes about 20 minutes to get to the admin cmd from boot.

Artist, Mar 2, 2017
  8. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot

Artist,

Thanks for the info.

Also, try disabling your Wireless Adapter, and see if you can use the laptop.

cottonball, Mar 2, 2017
  9. Artist Win User
    I tried unpluging the ethernet and cutting the wireless in case it was windows update making everythinh slow, but I can't shutdown the wifi (the Fn key is dead). Might try to disable the device itself.

Here's the paste, (in french):

C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
    Sur l’ordinateur : RUSTINE

DISKPART> list disk

N° disque Statut Taille Libre Dyn GPT
    --------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disque 0 En ligne 931 G octets 0 octets *
    Disque 1 En ligne 7651 M octets 0 octets < the win10 bootable .iso

DISKPART> sel disk 0

Le disque 0 est maintenant le disque sélectionné.

DISKPART> list part

N° partition Type Taille Décalage
    ------------- ---------------- ------- --------
    Partition 1 Récupération 400 M 1024 K
    Partition 2 Système 300 M 401 M
    Partition 3 Réservé 128 M 701 M
    Partition 4 Principale 912 G 829 M
    Partition 5 Récupération 889 M 913 G
    Partition 6 Récupération 17 G 914 G

DISKPART> exit

Quitte DiskPart...

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ReAgentc.exe /info
    Informations sur la configuration de l’Environnement de récupération
    Windows (WinRE) et la réinitialisation du système :

État WinRE : Enabled
    Emplacement WinRE : \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE
    Identificateur des données de configuration du démarrage (BCD) : 63548fd2-1510-11e3-a8fb-54bef716fcde
    Emplacement de l’image de récupération : \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\RecoveryImage
    Index de l’image de récupération : 2
    Emplacement de l’image personnalisée :
    Index de l’image personnalisée : 0

REAGENTC.EXE : opération réussie.

Artist, Mar 2, 2017
  10. Try getting off the Wireless connection and see what happens.

Have you tried Alt F10 ? What happens?

What if the laptop can be Recovered to Windows 8/8.1? Are you interested in doing that?

Have to leave for an appointment shortly, but will be back later. Our time difference does not help!

cottonball, Mar 2, 2017
  11. Artist Win User
    Not using the wireless card, laptop uses Ethernet to get to the box. (disabling it did nothing, still get a critical process died on boot)

alt f10 gets me to the original recovery menu, auto repair says it can't do anything, nothing else works (restore points, repair install).

I've got the option to go back to a previous build from the win10 USB. But don't we loose all the settings? And can we go back to win10 for free again?

Artist, Mar 2, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
    You will be able to get back to Windows 10 for free, you are likely using a digital entitlement which is your license that is used for activation.

A quick guess, based on the problem description, there are issues with the RAM.

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test.

13. Artist Win User

Managed to boot in something that was not safe boot and start a repair install (disabled the same services that were not running in safe mode). Only the option to keep files but not apps was available. Hopefully will work.

Artist, Mar 3, 2017
  14. Hoping it works, also. Something helped, since you apparently got into Windows 10.

Also follow axe0's guidance. Need to make sure there is not more than what meets the eye.

cottonball, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot - Similar Threads - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED boot

2. Malware infected PC does not boot :Critical_Process_Died

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Malware infected PC does not boot :Critical_Process_Died: I ran a malware infected file which disabled my windows update and its related services which on using a restore point got fixed, however I wanted to know why Windows Defender never prevented the virus so I scanned the infected file which when I downloaded in zip was only 14...
  3. Malware infected PC does not boot :Critical_Process_Died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Malware infected PC does not boot :Critical_Process_Died: I ran a malware infected file which disabled my windows update and its related services which on using a restore point got fixed, however I wanted to know why Windows Defender never prevented the virus so I scanned the infected file which when I downloaded in zip was only 14...
  4. Malware infected PC does not boot :Critical_Process_Died

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, can't boot into safe mode, can't do anything.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, can't boot into safe mode, can't do anything.: Last night I was following a video to increase the FPS in GTA 5. The guy instructed to make a restore point beforehand, so I did. Then I applied the changes, which included changing some regedit stuff. After I was done, I didn't like the changes, so I restored to the point,...
  6. BSOD (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) on login screen after PC boot up

BSOD (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) on login screen after PC boot up: Hi all! So in the past three days, every time I booted up my Windows 10 (only when I start my PC but not when restart), BSOD (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) always shows up during login screen. I have tried update my Windows, drivers and uninstall antivirus, but no luck solving that....
  7. Windows 10 won't boot anymore (BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

Windows 10 won't boot anymore (BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED): Hi there, I just created this account as I already read through a lot of good threads on this forum regarding similiar issues. After having a BSOD on my second partition (running 2x Windows 10 Pro on a dual-boot system) only one is running as it should. The BSOD was caused by...
  8. [HELP] I can't boot my pc. Error code : CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] I can't boot my pc. Error code : CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GuyGuardian [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mg5mfu/help_i_cant_boot_my_pc_error_code_critical/
  9. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED doesn't let PC boot

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED doesn't let PC boot: Hi, So I was playing Sea of Thieves and was on Discord when my Asus GL753V, Windows 10 x64, froze. I force shutdown it and when turned it on again I had the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED blue screen saying that it would restart automatically but it didn't I think it goes off...
  10. Booting to black screen after BSOD: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, no diagnostic or repair tools...

Booting to black screen after BSOD: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, no diagnostic or repair tools...: Hello, I was booting up my laptop a couple days ago when the blue screen of death popped up and said: CRTICIAL_PROCESS_DIED. This isn't the first time I've gotten this, but other times I was able to just restart without a problem. This time, however, it rebooted to a black...