Windows 10: Crucial P2 1TB NVMe drive in External USB 3.2 enclousure

Discus and support Crucial P2 1TB NVMe drive in External USB 3.2 enclousure in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Decided i wanted to play around with an NVMe drive in an external USB 3.2 enclosure. I bought the following combo. Got the enclosure for $21.99 at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pparks1, Feb 23, 2021.

1. pparks1 Win User

Crucial P2 1TB NVMe drive in External USB 3.2 enclousure

Decided i wanted to play around with an NVMe drive in an external USB 3.2 enclosure. I bought the following combo. Got the enclosure for $21.99 at Amazon and got the 1TB Crucial P2 NVMe solid state drive for $79 at RogueCast.com.

Crucial P2 1TB NVMe drive in External USB 3.2 enclousure [​IMG]

For this project, having the world's fastest PCI Express NVMe drive was not necessary as the speed of the drive is going to be significantly impacted by the USB 3.2 interface. Therefore the price and performance ratio for this Crucial drive was excellent.

I slid the cover off the enclosure, and put in the NVMe drive with the little rubber holder at the screw end.

Once it was together, I plugged it into the front USB 3.2 Gen 2 type-C port on my case.

Ran Crystal Disk Mark against the drive and am super happy with the results. Nearly 2x as fast as an internal SATA based SSD and totally portable.

Anyway, thought that I would share in case somebody is thinking about putting together a small portable external drive and feels $100 for is reasonable for 1TB of space, and nearly 1,000MB/sec transfer rate.

Edit: I did try plugging in the USB-c to USB-A cable that the kit came with and plugged that into a 10Gbps USB 3.2 Gen 2 port on my Asus Rog Strix X570-E mobo, and got the same results.

:)

pparks1, Feb 23, 2021
  2. mac_user Win User

Reliable 1TB External Drive

I would suggest this one. WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB Externe Festplatte - WDBBKD0020BWT - USB 3.0

mac_user, Feb 23, 2021
  3. bobkn Win User
    Issue with upgrading to m.2 NVME, Help?

I've done what "ignatzsonic" has done, multiple times.

Image the existing SSD to another drive, which could be the internal HD or an external one. Use the imaging software to create a bootable USB rescue drive. Swap SSDs. Boot from the USB rescue drive, and restore the image to the new SSD. Use Disk Management to resize the main partition if the new SSD is larger than the old, and the imaging software didn't already do that.

Is the laptop in question the ASUS FX553VD? A little Web search suggests that it supports NVME M.2 SSDs, but I wish that I was certain. It worries me slightly that Crucial doesn't list any M.2 NVME SSD upgrades for it.

bobkn, Feb 23, 2021
  4. bobkn Win User

Thinking about getting a 1TB m.2

My first thought was that using a 1TB SSD in what is basically a caching scheme is crazy.

On further thought, it's crazy.*Smile

I'd suggest getting this Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive R/W 3200/2000 MB/s (SB-RKTQ-1TB) - Newegg.com or this Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-1TB) - Newegg.com as an alterative to Samsung. If you had a PCI-E 4.0 CPU + motherboard (you do not, at least in your My Computer listing), I'd suggest this: Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive With Heatsink (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-HTSK-1TB) - Newegg.com.

bobkn, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Crucial P2 1TB NVMe drive in External USB 3.2 enclousure - Similar Threads - Crucial 1TB NVMe

2. 1TB SSD NVMe Drive showing 2 seperate Disks?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1TB SSD NVMe Drive showing 2 seperate Disks?: So i swapped over to linux a few months ago but have recently swapped back over to windows today. Unfortunatly that caused a lot of problems with my computer. I think i had raid or something similar when swapping ver to linux so it was dissabled in the process. After swapping...
  3. 1TB SSD NVMe Drive showing 2 seperate Disks?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1TB SSD NVMe Drive showing 2 seperate Disks?: So i swapped over to linux a few months ago but have recently swapped back over to windows today. Unfortunatly that caused a lot of problems with my computer. I think i had raid or something similar when swapping ver to linux so it was dissabled in the process. After swapping...
  4. 1TB SSD NVMe Drive showing 2 seperate Disks?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. New NVME m.2 2tb drive being incorrectly recognized as the first NVME 1tb drive. Blue screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New NVME m.2 2tb drive being incorrectly recognized as the first NVME 1tb drive. Blue screen: In the picture below, my new 2Tb nvme 3D TLC NAND drive is not the brand that windows is reporting. Windows is showing 2 of the first nvme drive. Bios sees the drive. Getting Blue screen when I try to use the second drive that disk manager was able to partition....
  6. New NVME m.2 2tb drive being incorrectly recognized as the first NVME 1tb drive. Blue screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New NVME m.2 2tb drive being incorrectly recognized as the first NVME 1tb drive. Blue screen: In the picture below, my new 2Tb nvme 3D TLC NAND drive is not the brand that windows is reporting. Windows is showing 2 of the first nvme drive. Bios sees the drive. Getting Blue screen when I try to use the second drive that disk manager was able to partition....
  7. NVMe M.2 1TB boot drive goes into Bios, no errors, no boot.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    NVMe M.2 1TB boot drive goes into Bios, no errors, no boot.: I just had this happen, It doesn't give me errors on boot just does not boot into windows, just goes right into the bios where I can see the drive. I have never experienced this before. Been out of the building/fixing PC game for 5-6 years so... I got a "ran into a problem"...
  8. Partitions or new "drives" on at 1TB NVMe SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitions or new "drives" on at 1TB NVMe SSD?: Windows 10 V2004 Transferring from an older PC to a new computer that has a 1TB SSD. Windows 10 is installed on new PC. Can I (should I) create partitions or artificial "drive" letters or just folders to divide up the space for transfers? 166327
  9. Reformating Seagate 1TB USB External driveds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reformating Seagate 1TB USB External driveds: I have a 1TB Seagate USB external hard drive I'm trying tor reformat to exFat file system to use data storage on a Chromebook. The disk worked perfectly for more than five years using NTSF file system before I tried to reformat it. It was in formatting stage for for about six...
  10. USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.: USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3. In a partitioned drive it only shows one partition. With thumb drives it works okay. I posted this last week but I was hit by scammers, that`s why I`m posting again. Thanks in advance....