Windows 10: Crucial SSD storage tool recommends to turn off 8.3 (LFN) for my SSD.

Discus and support Crucial SSD storage tool recommends to turn off 8.3 (LFN) for my SSD. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; During an SSD Crucial Executive scan, the recommendation was to turn off the 8.3 file naming feature to optimize the drives performance. The suggestion... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EyeInTheSky, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Crucial SSD storage tool recommends to turn off 8.3 (LFN) for my SSD.

During an SSD Crucial Executive scan, the recommendation was to turn off the 8.3 file naming feature to optimize the drives performance. The suggestion had a footnote indicating that turning the feature off would improve performance of the SSD; but come at a cost of possibly hindering the file search feature in Windows.

I have read varying conflicts of interest in regards to disabling the 8.3 file feature; meaning that some said there was a performance gain, while others were not able to notice an improved benchmark performance.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of an article that justifies turning the 8.3 (LFN) feature off and having a significant performance gain.

At this point, it just seems like a matter of preference versus credible facts to point to a noticeable performance gain.

Any insight from anyone who has turned this feature off and had significant system performance impact for the better - I'm all open for suggestions and recommendations.

:)

EyeInTheSky, Dec 31, 2018
  2. Arjai Win User

Crucial® Storage Executive

Just came across this...

Crucial Storage Executive Tool | Firmware Download | Crucial.com

Just downloaded the .zip file. I will post again with my findings.

Arjai, Dec 31, 2018
  3. JonGrimes Win User
    External SATA3 SSD to USB (512GB Crucial MX100 SSD) showing up as a Hard drive in Windows 10 Defragment and optimize drives?

When checking the Windows 10 Control Panel feature Defragment and Optimize your drives, my 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD installed

in a Nexstar (NST-266S3-SV) 2.5" SATA3 to USB 3.0 external HDD/SSD Enclosure shows up as a Hard disc drive (not as a solid state drive)?

I've tried uninstalling it, restarting Windows 10 with no change to the SSD showing up as a Hard disc drive in the Defragment and Optimize your drives feature. I've unplugged the enclosure and plugged it back in to the same as well as different USB ports
    with no change.

The 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD shows up everywhere it should, is easily accessed, runs at 450MB/s Read, 420MB/s Write as an external USB storage device (using numerous SSD Benchmarks), has the latest Crucial firmware and driver, shows up as healthy in SSD Storage
    Tools, etc.? My ASUS G751JY notebooks two internal drives (512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe M.2 OS SSD & 1TB Samsung 850 Pro Storage

SSD) show up correctly in the Windows 10 Control Panel Defragment and Optimize your drives as Solid State drives. The ASUS G751JY

notebook has the latest ASUS AS211 BIOS and all the latest hardware drivers as well as Windows 10 updates?

Any and all suggestions appreciated, I'm stumped. The only good thing is that despite showing up as a Hard disc drive, everything runs & works perfectly using it as an external 512GB storage SSD.

JonGrimes, Dec 31, 2018
  4. DanAz_66 Win User

Crucial SSD storage tool recommends to turn off 8.3 (LFN) for my SSD.

new SSD

well I just run the Crucial Storage Executive tool

and I discovery my SSD was running with an outdated firmware

status report also show

SSD Good Health

Percentage 5% Lifetime Used

so is something else to cause the slow performance

probably is windows 10

DanAz_66, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

Crucial SSD storage tool recommends to turn off 8.3 (LFN) for my SSD.

1. Crucial SSD storage tool recommends to turn off 8.3 (LFN) for my SSD. - Similar Threads - Crucial SSD storage

2. Nice tool for benchmarking SSD's and other storage devices

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Nice tool for benchmarking SSD's and other storage devices: Hi all - My contribution for today... AJA System Test: Drive Performance Stats You Can TrustAccurately test your system performance using System Test, available in free retail software builds for KONA, Io and T-TAP products The free System Disk Test is very well done and I...
  3. Recommend an SSD for my Asus Laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recommend an SSD for my Asus Laptop: Hello there, I have an Asus Tuf Gaming fx505dy with Ryzen 5 and Amd 560x. I need to know which SSD will be best for improving the performance of my laptop....
  4. Storage on SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage on SSD: I have a 227GB SSD which is showing a nearly full. When I run Storage Sense it says that Apps and Features is 97.2GB but when I go into it, there are only 2 apps bigger than 1GB and the total in no way reaches 97.2 GB. What is taking up all the space on my hard drive? Many...
  5. M.2 SSD Recommendation?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 SSD Recommendation?: Have a dell xps 15 9550 laptop. It originally had a 1tb 2.5 inch 7200 rpm hard drive and 32gb m.2 ssd that came a long with it. I went to repair shop years ago and had them remove the 1tb 2.5 inch hard drive and put in an old 250gb 2.5 inch samsung ssd in it. I want to...
  6. My SSD connection turn off and on through USB !!

My SSD connection turn off and on through USB !!: I am running surface scan or my SSD that is connected through USB 2 port but always after like 30 minutes the drive suddenly turn off (disappear from my computer) then turn on again and keep looping . I already unchecked to allow turn off to all USB ports in device manager,...
  7. Intstalling Off.2010 on storage and W10 on SSD?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Intstalling Off.2010 on storage and W10 on SSD?: I had to reinstall W10 (worked, yay!) Now I have to install my Office 2010 discs and get any updates from way back when. I installed W10 on my SSD. Is it ok to install Office 2010 on the 1TB storage drive? I would prefer to save the SSD for W10, and speed intensive...
  8. Crucial 500gb SSD Momentum cache

Crucial 500gb SSD Momentum cache: Hi, I have downloaded crucial executive for my SSD and on one page there is a button to enable the drives momentum cache. Also on this page is a warning that my PC is not battery backuped so enabling momentum cache is at my own risk. I backup my SSD to a Hitachi mechanical...
  9. Clean Install to New Crucial SSD Activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install to New Crucial SSD Activation: I just got off the phone with MS Support.*Mad My current HD is so full I decided to install a new Crucial 500GB SSD to hold the OS and all Apps. I have downloaded Win 10 ISO and burned it to a Disc with the intent of installing to the new SSD which will be the primary while...
  10. switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off

switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off: OK, with installing the new OS old issues come back to life. Here goes the question: can one have a physical switch somewhere on the PC case that can turn a single drive (HDD or SSD) on and off? I did search the internet before posting and several solutions exist, but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Crucial Storage Executive how to sanitize drive in windows 10