Windows 10: Cryptowall Ransomware

Discus and support Cryptowall Ransomware in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I use sfc /scannow, windows protection control reveals that it found corrupt files and repaired them. The cbs.log indicates the RecoveryDrive.Ink... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AllenKebba, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Cryptowall Ransomware

When I use sfc /scannow, windows protection control reveals that it found corrupt files and repaired them. The cbs.log indicates the RecoveryDrive.Ink was repaired.

After that sfc and even DISM indicate everything is fine.

When I scan using

Defender

AVAST

Hitmanpro

Malwarebytes

All return clean and protected computer windows 10 64 1909

However when I use spyhunter i get the message threat detected and the culprit is RecoveryDrive.Ink in the windows administrator folder under start menu. It is identified as cryptowall ransomware.

My windows ISO was from the MS website and this has flummoxed me. Any advice

:)

AllenKebba, Apr 22, 2020
  2. RickCP Win User

CryptoWall 4.0 ransomware infection

- What anti-virus (AV) program or security suite providing real-time protection (RTP) is installed?

- Any detection (name of detected malware) registered (most likely 'after-the-fact'
    [data encryption], unfortunately) in History? And what action was taken?

HELP_YOUR_FILES.PNG, also HELP_YOUR_FILES.HTML and HELP_YOUR_FILES.TXT, are the names of the 'ransom notes' used by the most recent and current version of the
    CryptoWall 4.0 ransomware.

These ransom notes files should be located in every folder that a file was encrypted, as well as in the users Startup folder so that they are automatically displayed when a user logs in. Please post here a screenshot of same (if any is still there). If you
    can't find any, they probably were already removed by your AV program.

See:
    CryptoWall 4.0 released with new Features such as Encrypted File Names

CryptoWall 4.0 will encrypt the actual filename of an encrypted file as well as the data contained in it. The name of each file is changed into a random string of characters (for example: rhn321.1oak, 72lcvn.iv6nn, x83o8x.ux7, etc..), while
    the original name of the file is written inside it. The entire file gets encrypted. This makes recognizing the files almost impossible, much to the frustration of users.

CryptoWall ransomware encrypts data using strong
    RSA encryption
    , and the free
    decryption of your files is impossible
    at present time, since there is no way to retrieve the private key that can be used to decrypt your files without paying the ransom (NOT recommended!). So no free solution (yet) is available at present
    time.

Most security experts will advise against paying the ransom demands of the malware writers because doing so only helps to finance their criminal enterprise and keep them in business. The more people pay the ransom, the more the attackers are encouraged to
    keep creating ransomware for financial gain.

In addition, there is no guarantee that paying the ransom will actually result in the restoration (decryption) of your files. Remember that you are dealing with cybercriminals.

A repository of all current knowledge regarding CryptoWall (all versions) is provided by Lawrence Abrams (AKA

Grinler
    ) in this BC's topic:
    CryptoWall and DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ.

Reading this Guide will help you understand what CryptoWall 4.0 does and provide information for how to deal with it.

There is also an ongoing
    CryptoWall 4.0: Help_Your_Files Ransomware Support & Discussion Topic
    where you can ask questions and seek further assistance.

As with most ransomware infections the best solution for dealing with encrypted data is to
    restore from backups. Please note that CryptoWall typically deletes all Shadow Volume Copies with vssadmin.exe so that you cannot restore your files via System Restore or using a program like Shadow Explorer... but it never hurts to try, so
    as to check if the ransomware failed to do what it's supposed to do.

If you have unsuccessfully tried the
    methods
    outlined in the
    guide
    above to restore your files, or couldn't restore them all, I would suggest you back them up on an external storage media (like an external HDD) and leave it be. Maybe a free solution is found (maybe not) in the near future... who knows!

A free tool created by BC called 'ListCwall', shall prove to be of assistance for you to automate the finding and exporting
    the list of encrypted files from an infected computer. This tool will also allow you to backup the encrypted files to another location in the event that you want to archive the encrypted files and reformat the machine.

Regret we can not be of much help this time. Good Luck!

=========================================================

You can also help spread the word so that others may contribute to:

Help BleepingComputer Defend Freedom of Speech!

=========================================================

RickCP, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Smeed Win User
  4. Le Boule Win User

Cryptowall Ransomware

Le Boule, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

Cryptowall Ransomware

1. Cryptowall Ransomware - Similar Threads - Cryptowall Ransomware

2. ransomware problem bgzq

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ransomware problem bgzq: Hello Everyone, all files on my PC are encrypted by a ransomware virus, and I did a new operating system but all files with the extension .bgzqand there are very important files ,at least I need to restore some of them , I would appreciate for any help to solve that...
  3. ransomware problem

ransomware problem: Hello Everyone, all files on my PC are encrypted by a ransomware virus, and I did a new operating system but all files with the extension .bgzqand there are very important files ,at least I need to restore some of them , I would appreciate for any help to solve that...
  4. ransomware problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ransomware problem: Hello Everyone, all files on my PC are encrypted by a ransomware virus, and I did a new operating system but all files with the extension .bgzqand there are very important files ,at least I need to restore some of them , I would appreciate for any help to solve that...
  5. ransomware problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Microsoft has converted Windows to its own ransomware!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft has converted Windows to its own ransomware!: I have an old laptop that came with winXP preinstalled, it was upgraded to win7 by the previous owner. They wiped it in preparation for selling it to me using the "prepare to sell" option, I'm sure. When I logged onto the computer after the wipe, it now shows as non-genuine....
  7. Microsoft has converted Windows to its own ransomware!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft has converted Windows to its own ransomware!: I have an old laptop that came with winXP preinstalled, it was upgraded to win7 by the previous owner. They wiped it in preparation for selling it to me using the "prepare to sell" option, I'm sure. When I logged onto the computer after the wipe, it now shows as non-genuine....
  8. What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?: Not a lot. I have never consented to have Bitlocker on my device and yet I have this mystery code that I am unable to access in order for me to access my own data. And yes I have tried all the useless suggestions from Microsoft. I have just had to pay £150 to have my computer...
  9. What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?: Not a lot. I have never consented to have Bitlocker on my device and yet I have this mystery code that I am unable to access in order for me to access my own data. And yes I have tried all the useless suggestions from Microsoft. I have just had to pay £150 to have my computer...
  10. Cryptowall virus infected my PC data...PLZ Help..

Cryptowall virus infected my PC data...PLZ Help..: Cryptowall virus infected my PC data...PLZ Help.. My PC is infected with cryptowall virus.All my data got encrypted..Unfortunately i formatted the window and again installed fresh window but my data didnt recover...plz help if u can understand the situation...Any help will be...