Windows 10: csrss.exe GPU spikes and stutter when using Clip Studio Paint since Update 1709

Discus and support csrss.exe GPU spikes and stutter when using Clip Studio Paint since Update 1709 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Reiterating on a post I made almost a year ago, since this issue still persists and no further actions have fixed it. So, as of update 1709... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Feretta, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Feretta Win User

csrss.exe GPU spikes and stutter when using Clip Studio Paint since Update 1709

Reiterating on a post I made almost a year ago, since this issue still persists and no further actions have fixed it.

So, as of update 1709 (Creator's update), I've been having issues with csrss.exe (PID 692) GPU usage spikes causing mouse stutter whenever I have Clip Studio Paint open and active. CSP worked perfectly fine up until 1709, and I've tried pretty much anything I could think of to resolve the issue, including but not limited to:

- Updating GPU drivers

- Updating GPU drivers with a complete clean-out of old drivers

- Updating tablet drivers

- Replaced the tablet (I use a Cintiq, switched from 24HD to Pro 24, not for this issue, but figured I'd mention that it's still an issue)

- Geforce Experience not installed

- Xbox features completely disabled

- Turned off network discovery

- Made new user profile

- Performed an in-place upgrade as suggested by y'all the previous time I posted about this

- Checked every possible power setting I can find related to any part of the hardware, including Nvidia control panel and Windows' own power settings

Work-around:

Thankfully, but also really strangely, I found a work-around for the issue, and this is where I'd like some analysis done to figure out why it even works, and maybe that way we can figure out how to fix it completely.

Before starting up CSP, I have to open up Nvidia control panel and change which monitor is set as my primary monitor. Once done, I can open CSP, start a new canvas, see that the issue is still there, then switch my main monitor BACK to the one I normally use. This completely negates the issue. If I switch the monitors back again, the issue returns.

This also happens regardless of what monitor is originally set as primary, so it's not a monitor-specific issue, there's something about the software's start-up and csrss and the primary monitor that triggers this unwanted behavior.

System info: i7 6850k - 1080ti - 32GB of the rams - Plenty of hard drive space - 3 monitors connected, one running 144hz, the other two 60hz (I've tried setting them all to 60).

Other symptoms: None. But damn is this one symptom annoying.

Obviously, the one thing I haven't done is clear out my Windows 10 install and started completely from scratch, because that's a massive undertaking and there's no guarantee that would even work, so.. What do?

:)

Feretta, Jan 25, 2019
  2. Feretta Win User

csrss.exe periodic GPU spike when running certain apps

As of being forced to update to Win10's 1709 (ironically named the creators update, considering the topic here..), I've been having issues keeping the Client Server Runtime Process under control while using my drawing software. Here's what's goin' on..

I use Clip Studio Paint for illustration work and comic productions, and it's never given me any trouble, but as of 1709, whenever I open the software and a new canvas, csrss starts spiking its GPU usage to 100% every 6 seconds on the dot. This, of course,
    causes the desktop to stutter as a result, and the mouse freezes for a split second before the process releases again. I've been in talks with Celsys, the creators of the app, and have yet to really get much of a satisfactory answer, but I'm feeling like this
    is more of a Winderp problem.

During my talks with Celsys, however, they suggested that I try setting my tablet, a Cintiq 24HD, to be the main monitor, to which my immediate reaction was "ppfffffft sure I'll try that~.." - And then it actually worked.. Changed back, problem came back.
    But then I closed the software and re-opened it with one of the other monitors as main, and the problem was back again, set main monitor back to the one I normally have as main, problem gone.

So; Somehow, the act of switching what monitor is registered as main monitor away from the one that happens to be main while the software launches is enough to resolve the problem until the next time I re-open the software. It doesn't care what monitor,
    specifically, is the main, only that it is NOT the one it launched with.

And for the record, yes, I've checked all my drivers, cleaned out my graphics card drivers fully and reinstalled them from scratch with driversweep, I even updated my wacom drivers just in case. I don't have GeForce Experience installed, all Xbox features
    are completely disabled, I tried turning off network discovery, you name it, I've probably tried it, short of updating my motherboard bios or reinstalling Winderp.

It's also the second time I've had this problem with version 1709, I updated once before about 4-5 months ago, and at the time I had to roll back to the previous version to be able to work, the stuttering being really bad for keeping a good and distraction
    free environment.

System info: i7 6850k - 1080ti - 32GB of the rams - Plenty of hard drive space - 3 monitors connected, one running 144hz, the other two 60hz (I've tried setting them all to 60, made no fibbin' difference).

Other symptoms: Generally none, but I did have a blue screen yesterday, which cost me 2 hours of animation work, telling me that irql was not less or equal.

Any thoughts?

Feretta, Jan 25, 2019
  3. stac Win User
    Massive FPS Lag And GPU Spikes

I've recently noticed that when running games like Minecraft and League of Legends, the FPS stutters and drops suddenly. This problem only started a few weeks ago - before that it ran fine. I usually average around 90FPS in Minecraft and 70FPS in League, but during the spikes it drops to 5-10FPS. The spikes used to only occur every few seconds and went away after a while, but now they're frequent and make trying to play near impossible.

I opened up Task Manager when running Minecraft, and the GPU constantly spikes from around 30% to up to 90%, causing the drops. Most of the GPU usage is from Java running, and the spikes are from it as well. Running on Windows 10, I already have Optifine installed on Minecraft. The problem only occurs in fullscreen.

Things I've already tried:

• Uninstall and reinstall graphics drivers
    • Cleaned out junk files
    • Uninstall and reinstall games
    • Close background programs, end tasks in Task Manager
    • Ran multiple antivirus scans using AVG, MalwareBytes and Adaware(no problems found)

Specs:

4. acefire Win User

Visual Studio 2015 Stuttering

Visual Studio 2015 stutters on my computer in the sense that everything freezes up for like 2-3 secs before returning to normal. (Even the blinking typing thing freezes in a solid line)

The only other software which I encounter this is ezvid video editor.

I'm guessing it's something on the software/system side, given how my hardware is relatively lag-proof. My games also don't suffer from this stuttering issue, so it can't be the generic 'game stuttering' fix going around the net.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

acefire, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

1. csrss.exe GPU spikes and stutter when using Clip Studio Paint since Update 1709 - Similar Threads - csrss exe GPU

2. Will Clip Studio Paint Work with Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will Clip Studio Paint Work with Windows 11?: When I switched to Windows 10 I had to re-download all the software and assets I had from Clip Studio and Clip Studio Paint. Am I going to have to do that again for Windows 11? Or will I be able to open and run the program as usual from the get-go?...
  3. Will Clip Studio Paint Work with Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will Clip Studio Paint Work with Windows 11?: When I switched to Windows 10 I had to re-download all the software and assets I had from Clip Studio and Clip Studio Paint. Am I going to have to do that again for Windows 11? Or will I be able to open and run the program as usual from the get-go?...
  4. SSD Usage Spikes to 100% When using GPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Usage Spikes to 100% When using GPU: Specs:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHZ Quad-Core ProcessorMemory: 16GB RamDISK: PNY CS900GB SSDGPU: Radeon RX 580 SeriesMotherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 MotherboardPSU: Corsair RM 2019 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power SupplyWindows Version: 21H2 OS...
  5. SSD Usage Spikes to 100% When using GPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD Usage Spikes to 100% When using GPU: Specs:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHZ Quad-Core ProcessorMemory: 16GB RamDISK: PNY CS900GB SSDGPU: Radeon RX 580 SeriesMotherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 MotherboardPSU: Corsair RM 2019 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power SupplyWindows Version: 21H2 OS...
  6. SSD Usage Spikes to 100% When using GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Program Clip Studio Paint is "Incompatible" but runs in safe mode

Program Clip Studio Paint is "Incompatible" but runs in safe mode: I've been having issues with Clip Studio Paint for the past month: it does not open at all. Shows up as a background process in task manager for a few minutes before disappearing, nothing else. I've emailed Clip Studio's support and it seems like they don't know what the...
  8. Help! Which PC is good for Art/Clip Studio paint?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help! Which PC is good for Art/Clip Studio paint?: I have a budget of $800 and I need to be able to run Clip Studio Paint on it. submitted by /u/Anubis-Hound [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m0pjwh/help_which_pc_is_good_for_artclip_studio_paint/
  9. Dwm and csrss using my gpu

Dwm and csrss using my gpu: Hey so the dwm and csrss using my gpu while im moving window folder(dwm) and while im moving cursor (csrss) and each of them can use 10% or higher And when im in csgo there is 10% of use of it (dwm) and 20% for.csgo im wondering if its okey or not...
  10. csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings: Today a problem started randomly. My desktop is stuttering, Youtube, anything. But when i disable AMD Radeon display on Device Manager, it stopps the stuttering, i already tried to reinstall graphic drivers, but any version i install, keeps the stutterings. So the only option...