Windows 10: CSV files used to open in Excel....not now!

Discus and support CSV files used to open in Excel....not now! in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; For a long time I have kept detailed records from my phone provider personal analysis to ensure being on the correct package Throughout the csv files... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by chipwood, Jan 13, 2017.

1. chipwood Win User

CSV files used to open in Excel....not now!

For a long time I have kept detailed records from my phone provider personal analysis to ensure being on the correct package Throughout the csv files from the company downloaded have opened by default in Excel 2007 Home and Student, but suddenly they open in Notepad. I do not recall making a change,

I am confused how to change the default, as I am unable to find Excel in the list of applications, even though it's installed.
    FWIW alongside Excel is the File Valuation AddIn in case that may be somehow relevant.

Can someone, please help?

:)

chipwood, Jan 13, 2017

2. converting a text file to CSV

This can be done only if Excel is installed on your computer.

1. Open Excel

2. Data tab > Get external data > From Text

3. Now your Text file will be opened in Excel.

4. Save as *.csv

If you don't have Excel

Download free Libre office and use spreadsheet program of that to convert into csv.

E for Excel, Jan 13, 2017
  3. Christmas Mail Merge from Contact in People program

People app in Windows 10 has no export function. To do this you need to sign into your online Microsoft Account at
    Outlook.com - Microsoft free personal email

From there, you go to "Manage" \ "Export Contacts" and you can export them all to a csv file.

Now, this csv file can be opened in Excel (Open Excel > Data tab > Get External Data > From Text > Select your csv file)

Now, you can do mail merge -
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Mail-m...

E for Excel, Jan 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you say Excel is installed. Does it run normally?

You can't find Excel in (an unspecified) list of applications. I don't know which list that is for sure.

For example, in the list related to:
    - rt click a file. Open With
    - this list:

CSV files used to open in Excel....not now! [​IMG]

- this list:

- some other list...

If Excel does not appear in the above, I suggest you repair your office installation.

Maybe the above gives you some ideas. Otherwise please post a screenshot of where you think you should see it but don't. Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 13, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    On a Windows 7 system that had Office 2007 installed and was then upgraded to Windows 10 it appears here...

and here...

but is not listed in Settings > System > Default apps > Set defaults by app

6. chipwood Win User
    @dalchina
    Thanks for your input. I had thought after my OP to clean install Office.
    @Bree

My equivalent page is different from yours; Excel or Word are not mentioned as such: see att.
    Excel shows in Program File (86)>Office12, but I see no way to associate with the csv extension.

Just a thought, likely off beam, is whether there is some corruption making sfc /scannow useful.

chipwood, Jan 13, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Looks different because a different edition of Office 2007 was used for the install, yours was Home & Student, mine wasn't.

The most basic way to associate Excel with .csv files is to right-click on a .csv and choose 'Open with... Choose another app'.

...then 'More apps', then scroll down and click 'Choose another app on this PC'. You can then browse to 'Program File (86)>Office12' and click on Excel. Tick the 'always use this app...' box to make Excel the default for .csv

8. chipwood Win User

If only I'd thought of changing properties*Redface
    Thanks all!*Smile

chipwood, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. CSV files used to open in Excel....not now! - Similar Threads - CSV files used

2. default setting to correctly open a csv file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    default setting to correctly open a csv file: Hi there,I'm trying to open a csv file in excel, but the columns are messed up, and I cannot fix it so there is a clear overview of data for every specific column.I have tried to select a column and not selecting at all; went to data and then text to with comma, but nothing...
  3. default setting to correctly open a csv file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default setting to correctly open a csv file: Hi there,I'm trying to open a csv file in excel, but the columns are messed up, and I cannot fix it so there is a clear overview of data for every specific column.I have tried to select a column and not selecting at all; went to data and then text to with comma, but nothing...
  4. default setting to correctly open a csv file

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to See tamil font in .CSV file by Microsoft excel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to See tamil font in .CSV file by Microsoft excel: Sir/Mam,I am using Microsoft office 365 in my windows 10. I am unable to see tamil language text in CSV file. I tried installing tamil fonts and failed to see tamil text. the above is screenshot. Any guidance is appreciated.Thanks and Regards,S. Sathish Kumar...
  6. Unable to See tamil font in .CSV file by Microsoft excel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to See tamil font in .CSV file by Microsoft excel: Sir/Mam,I am using Microsoft office 365 in my windows 10. I am unable to see tamil language text in CSV file. I tried installing tamil fonts and failed to see tamil text. the above is screenshot. Any guidance is appreciated.Thanks and Regards,S. Sathish Kumar...
  7. Excel file will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel file will not open: Hi, I tried to save me excel file but it seems it was saved in another format and now I can't open it in excel. When I try to open it, a window pops up saying "how do you want to open this file?". Excel is not one of the options...
  8. Changing default app for opening a csv file

Changing default app for opening a csv file: I cannot set excel as the default app to open csv files. I have gone through the process of trying to change the default in windows 10. The only options are notepad, wordpad or word. I have tried looking on microsoft 365 website for other apps and have failed to solve this...
  9. downloaded csv files won't open in excel

downloaded csv files won't open in excel: Why are downloaded csv files not opening in Microsoft Excel? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloaded-csv-files-wont-open-in-excel/1de4de67-952f-4519-b347-d12828db8d4a"
  10. I was just using excel. Closed the file and now i can't get excel to open again.

in Cortana
    I was just using excel. Closed the file and now i can't get excel to open again.: I had multiple spreadsheets open earlier. I completed the work on them and closed out of excel entirely, less than 5 minutes later I need to get back into excel to print off the document. My toolbar icon won't open. I told Cortana to open excel, wouldn't work. I went...