Windows 10: Ctl key + mouse click does wrong thing

Discus and support Ctl key + mouse click does wrong thing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just built a new computer with bits from e-bay at a fraction of what it would have cost new *Smile I have been using Windows XP, NT, 7 since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Snodon, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Snodon Win User

Ctl key + mouse click does wrong thing

I have just built a new computer with bits from e-bay at a fraction of what it would have cost new *Smile
    I have been using Windows XP, NT, 7 since DOS.
    I have now embarked on the experience which is Windows 10 - some good most horrible, but it does run faster.
    I have sorted out most of the problems but something is extremely annoying:

In every previous version of Windows if I hold down the control key and select something with the mouse it stays selected, I can then build a random selection list and do something with all the selected items.

In Windows 10 if I hold the control key and select something I get a strange little window come up saying "no text could be retrieved" and several icons which look like search engine icons.

Google has failed me on this so hopefully one of you guys may be able to help me please.
    thanks

:)

Snodon, Dec 28, 2017
  2. Rohn007 Win User

desktop

One way is to click on the desktop, hold the <CTL> key and rotate the mouse scroll wheel.

Rohn007, Dec 28, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    resize icons with Windows 10

On the desktop you can hold the <CTL> key and scroll the mouse wheel.

You can right click on the desktop, view option > select a size.

Rohn007, Dec 28, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi Snodon, and welcome to Ten forums!

Internet search leads me to utility called Textify. Do you have this installed? It allows copying text from windows, but default combination is shift+middle click.

AndreTen, Dec 28, 2017
  5. Maybe it depends on what "something" you are selecting. In things like directory lists this works for me in Win10. I use it all the time when copying, deleting, etc. It still works for me in programs that have their own multiple-selection functions, but I don't know if they are using a Windows-provided function or are just emulating Windows behavior. Where is this not working for you?

pokeefe0001, Dec 28, 2017
  6. AndreTen Win User
    One more thought... Did you install Windows fresh, or was it preinstalled on PC? Asking this to clear, if you know which programs are installed and how Windows is set-up.

AndreTen, Dec 28, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    Yes, I see the same thing Andre is talking about:

+ - Bing

Uninstall that program and try your CTRL + Click

pepanee, Dec 28, 2017
  8. Snodon Win User

Thanks guys

Textify was the cause, uninstalled and ctrl / click now works ok

Yes, clean install on newly built machine

thanks,

Snodon, Dec 28, 2017
  9. AndreTen Win User
    nice of you to post back *Smile

AndreTen, Dec 28, 2017
  10. pepanee Win User
    As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if you actually use that program. I don't want to inconvenience your productivity. So if you actually do use that program, then reinstall if back! =)

I went to the guy's website: Textify - RaMMicHaeLs Blog
    And saw in that picture that you can change the combination to apply what that program does.
    If you do use that program, then use the combination of CTRL + Shift + Click, or CTRL + Alt + Click,
    and over time you'll get used to doing that.

And also, I recognized the name RaMMichael; I actually use 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, what a lovely program that is from that same author. Works wonders for my TaskBar; got it in my Startup applications.

pepanee, Dec 28, 2017
  11. Snodon Win User
    Thanks for that, I had missed the config window. Have now reinstalled and changed to the Alt key.

Snodon, Dec 29, 2017
  12. pepanee Win User
    Cool! Glad you got your computer working properly and the app you wanted also working properly

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Ctl key + mouse click does wrong thing - Similar Threads - Ctl key mouse

2. Mouse only clicks certain things on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse only clicks certain things on Windows 11: My computer recently started having problems with the mouse. It will click certain things, such as the new tab/close tab button on Google Chrome and the application shortcuts, but will not click some buttons, including the close, minimize, or any of the other buttons in the...
  3. Keys do the wrong thing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keys do the wrong thing: Every time I press the enter key it sends me to my screen login, My period key mutes everything, the esc key switches my music, and my shift key opens tabs. What do I do to fix this?...
  4. Keys do the wrong thing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keys do the wrong thing: Every time I press the enter key it sends me to my screen login, My period key mutes everything, the esc key switches my music, and my shift key opens tabs. What do I do to fix this?...
  5. Keys do the wrong thing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. S key does odd things

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    S key does odd things: After updating on the 17th my s key when pressed changes my mouse cursor's look, freezes my screen, and when I click and drag there are options underneath the highlighted area. I couldn't find anything on Google and this happens every time I try to use my s key on it's own....
  7. S key does odd things

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    S key does odd things: After updating on the 17th my s key when pressed changes my mouse cursor's look, freezes my screen, and when I click and drag there are options underneath the highlighted area. I couldn't find anything on Google and this happens every time I try to use my s key on it's own....
  8. Keys and mouse clicking by themselves

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keys and mouse clicking by themselves: when i play my pc its normal until like 30 minutes later and the keys on my keyboard keep pressing on themselves. what should i do? note: i have a razor keyboard if that helps at all submitted by /u/BoJerim [link] [comments]...
  9. programs opening on their own, mouse clicks things I don't click?

programs opening on their own, mouse clicks things I don't click?: Programs opening on their own, mouse clicks things I don't click? Circles flashing on screen like I pressed CTRL to locate cursor. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/programs-opening-on-their-own-mouse-clicks-things/160fedc3-6609-4f19-a599-8d04d5069cc1
  10. my f-keys are doing wrong things

my f-keys are doing wrong things: Normally I have the function keys f6,f7,f7 to control volume but for some reason now they simply don't work, I never used to need to hold down the fn key and when I do it still doesn't work. The keys themselves are still functional. It just seems as though they do different...