Windows 10: Ctrl-A in File Explorer is very slow. "Copy as path" also slow.

Discus and support Ctrl-A in File Explorer is very slow. "Copy as path" also slow. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Selecting all the items in a folder in File Explorer is slower than any previous version of Windows I've worked with. And by slower I mean really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ebmoluoc, Aug 29, 2022.

1. ebmoluoc Win User

Ctrl-A in File Explorer is very slow. "Copy as path" also slow.

Selecting all the items in a folder in File Explorer is slower than any previous version of Windows I've worked with. And by slower I mean really slow.You can test it by going into a folder containing a good amount of items like C:\Windows\WinSxS. Do a Ctrl-A and wait. Then you can do a "Copy as path" on the selection and again, wait. On my old laptop the waiting time is horrible. On my desktop i7-9700k it's not as bad but much slower than what I was used too on Windows 10 where Ctrl-A is instantaneous. To be fair about "Copy as path", it was still slow on Windows 10 but I programmed my own

:)

ebmoluoc, Aug 29, 2022

2. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Aug 29, 2022
  3. andrekish Win User
    Extremely slow Windows Explorer. Please help.

Hello - there's solution posted here - but cannot say if it works totally yet though but it has helped me just now. Hope it helps you too. Save any work open first, before you do this.

Taken from site at this board - Solved File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files - Windows 10 Forums

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

-- Your system will need a restart when it reconfigures itself so save any work first. I tried this myself and it ran slow first time while it indexed slow directories - then after I closed file explorer and reloaded it it ran fast on slow directories. I hope it helps you. Best of luck and best wishes.

andrekish, Aug 29, 2022
  4. Brian__T Win User

Windows explorer copy and file browsing running slow.

A few months ago windows 10 explorer.exe was running slow when browsing folders and copying files within the C drive. I have a solid state drive and copying files from one location on drive C to another location on drive C would transfer around 20KByte/sec, but only within explorer. If I used another file manager such as 7-zip, copying and browsing files would be extremely fast. I used the Windows 10 "Reset the PC" and the problem went away for a few months and explorer was running fast. Now a few months later the problem is back. If I profile explorer.exe (using the profiler called Very Sleepy) during a copy operation of a folder from drive C to drive C, one of the explorer.exe threads is running at 100%. Within that thread, 90% is the function "GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointW", and 10% is the function "DeviceIoControl". This was the case before and after the reset of the PC. I've tried many suggestions such as disabling indexing, disabling antivirus, and disabling Carbonite, but no luck.

Brian__T, Aug 29, 2022
Thema:

1. Ctrl-A in File Explorer is very slow. "Copy as path" also slow. - Similar Threads - Ctrl File Explorer

2. File explorer working very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  3. File explorer working very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  4. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  5. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  6. Ctrl-A in File Explorer is very slow. "Copy as path" also slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl-A in File Explorer is very slow. "Copy as path" also slow.: Selecting all the items in a folder in File Explorer is slower than any previous version of Windows I've worked with. And by slower I mean really slow.You can test it by going into a folder containing a good amount of items like C:\Windows\WinSxS. Do a Ctrl-A and wait. Then...
  7. Very slow show of files in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow show of files in Explorer: Dear All, First post in this forum, thanks everybody in advance, and greetings from Switzerland. As the subject says, I have horribly slow performances when navigating in folders of my external drive (I copied the content in my fixed SDD and it doesn't change). Please check...
  8. File explorer/search very very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...
  9. VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate: I am not sure if I am having a software setting or hardware issue. I just installed a new SSD in my laptop no problem there, instead of wasting the original 2TB HDD I bought a CDROM Caddy to replace the CDROM drive. The 2TB HDD is secured in the caddy and connected via the...
  10. Copying to USB Very Slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copying to USB Very Slow: A few times a week I backup my data files to my extended hdd and my USB. Seems it take forever to copy to the USB. Very short time to copy to Extended hdd. I've tried deleting to old backup first so there will be no need to replace and files. That doesn't seem to be...