Windows 10: 'Ctrl + A' not working

Discus and support 'Ctrl + A' not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been experiencing an issue with the 'Ctrl A' shortcut to select all. - Both the Ctrl and the A keys work separately but will not work together... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Lewis Pollitt, Feb 25, 2021.

1. 'Ctrl + A' not working

I've been experiencing an issue with the 'Ctrl A' shortcut to select all.

- Both the Ctrl and the A keys work separately but will not work together

- All other shortcuts key combinations work

- I've been experiencing the issue for multiple weeks and have the most up-to-date version of Windows 10

- Sticky keys are all turned off

- I've tried 2 separate keyboards along with the inbuilt laptop keyboard

- Trying to set the shortcut e.g. in Word is not possible, pressing the Ctrl + A key at the same time does not send and input to the device

- This effects the entire system, it is not specific to any applications

- Keyboard / USB drivers are up to date

- Language set to English United Kingdom, no secondary language set

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

:)

Lewis Pollitt, Feb 25, 2021
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Both CTRL keys not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Did you make any changes in your computer prior to this issue?

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Method 1: To check if Ctrl keys work in Onscreen keyboard.

• Press Windows Key + R and type osk and hit Enter.
    Try using Ctrl keys and check if that helps.

if you still face the issue, try Method 2.

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Feb 25, 2021
  3. CTRL Keys not working.

I tried all the above methods, but still it is not working. I noticed that the onscreen keyboard is working with the CTRL and also I tried connecting an external keyboard. That worked too. I don't understand how both the CTRL stopped working suddenly as
    I don't even use the right CTRL much.

ManthanGupta, Feb 25, 2021
  4. 'Ctrl + A' not working

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

'Ctrl + A' not working

1. 'Ctrl + A' not working - Similar Threads - 'Ctrl working

2. Both Ctrl Buttons Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Both Ctrl Buttons Not Working: Yesterday morning on the train it was fine, but in the evening when I got back to the dorm both ctrl keys were not working. I did a test on the keyboard test sites on Google but it doesn't recognize the key. If it was only one of them, I would have thought it was a hardware...
  3. Ctrl+v not working in MS WhiteBoard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl+v not working in MS WhiteBoard: That's it, CTRL+V is not working in MS Whiteboard.So I can't put images to work with in my boards, or anything else.I tried to follow these instructions, not...
  4. Ctrl+v not working in MS WhiteBoard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ctrl+v not working in MS WhiteBoard: That's it, CTRL+V is not working in MS Whiteboard.So I can't put images to work with in my boards, or anything else.I tried to follow these instructions, not...
  5. Why are my Ctrl, Windows button, and Alt keys not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my Ctrl, Windows button, and Alt keys not working?: Every other key works except for those mentioned in the question above. Has anyone else experienced this issue and how do I solve it? My keyboard is perfectly fine since I tried switching with another and the keys didn't work there either....
  6. Why are my Ctrl, Windows button, and Alt keys not working?

Why are my Ctrl, Windows button, and Alt keys not working?: Every other key works except for those mentioned in the question above. Has anyone else experienced this issue and how do I solve it? My keyboard is perfectly fine since I tried switching with another and the keys didn't work there either....
  7. Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key is not working anymore in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key is not working anymore in Windows 10: I have three monitors so that feature is very useful to me. As I was trying to use it today, I realized it wasn't working. I checked and saw that the option was still enabled. I did disable it, apply and re-enabled it. The current options show "Display pointer trails" set to...
  8. Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key is not working anymore in Windows 10

Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key is not working anymore in Windows 10: I have three monitors so that feature is very useful to me. As I was trying to use it today, I realized it wasn't working. I checked and saw that the option was still enabled. I did disable it, apply and re-enabled it. The current options show "Display pointer trails" set to...
  9. Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key is not working anymore in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Ctrl+select no longer works when I click out of the window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl+select no longer works when I click out of the window: Recently I started having really annoying problem with multiple items selection on my virtual machine.When I press ctrl and I select multiple items, and then I click out to any other window, when I come back and want to continue previous selection I am not able to.Typical...