Windows 10: ctrl+click non-contiguous data functionality not working

Discus and support ctrl+click non-contiguous data functionality not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For some time now I have been unable to use the ctrl+click to select non-contiguous data on my computer (2017 HP Pavilllion 15t laptop with Intel Core... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by laperry1, Aug 5, 2018.

1. laperry1 Win User

ctrl+click non-contiguous data functionality not working

For some time now I have been unable to use the ctrl+click to select non-contiguous data on my computer (2017 HP Pavilllion 15t laptop with Intel Core i7-7500, x64, 12G RAM, 1T storage). I am running Win10 with Office 365 ProPlus, and am fully updated.

This problem is evident whether I am in Excel or Word or in general folders - even on the internet and in other, non-MS programs. I can ctrl+click one item and click a second non-adjacent item (holding ctrl the entire time, as I've always done) with success, but as soon as I try to add a third item, I lose the first two selections. At that point, the only item selected is the third one on which I have clicked; the other two items immediately deselect.

I am wondering if it might have something to do with Accessibility settings, as it seems that this cropped up not long after I enabled many of them (which I need!!).

I've re-downloaded Office 365 ProPlus, and have tweaked the settings I've thought might logically have cause this loss of functionality, but cannot find a solution that will re-enable this particular ctrl-click functionality.

This situation has driven me to distraction, especially as I am using Excel and the most recent ArcGIS Pro platform (among others) to query a large amount of data. Much of this requires that I be able to select this cell in line one, this cell in line 62, this other cell on line 2000, and so on. Or, in ArcGIS, this, that and these other shape/layer/etc files.

I'd even be glad to select five or six non-adjacent pictures in my pictures folder, or attach multiple non-adjacent files to an e-mail in Outlook or Gmail... but, no joy.

It's stressful to be working under deadline (my doctoral dissertation!) and remain unable to use my software packages to their best extent.

Please help! I have seen others bring up this problem, but I've not found a workaround that works. I'm pulling out clumps of hair at this rate...

Thank you in advance - so much!

PS If y'all can help resolve this, I will even put a thank you to the Microsoft Community in the acknowledgments section of my completed dissertation!

<The thread has been moved to the correct category by forum moderator>

:)

laperry1, Aug 5, 2018

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

• Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    • Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    • Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    • Select add someone else on this PC.
    • Enter a user name and hit next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Aug 5, 2018
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Both CTRL keys not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Did you make any changes in your computer prior to this issue?

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Method 1: To check if Ctrl keys work in Onscreen keyboard.

• Press Windows Key + R and type osk and hit Enter.
    Try using Ctrl keys and check if that helps.

if you still face the issue, try Method 2.

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Aug 5, 2018
  4. ctrl+click non-contiguous data functionality not working

CTRL+PgUp // CTRL+PgDn

My CTRL+PgUp and CTRL+PgDn hotkey suddenly stopped working. The keys work independently (i.e. my CTRL keys and PgUp PgDn functions work on their own), but the combination no longer works for switching tabs in Chrome or even Excel.

Any suggestions as to why this may be happening?

Thanks!

GhassanKara, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

ctrl+click non-contiguous data functionality not working

1. ctrl+click non-contiguous data functionality not working - Similar Threads - ctrl+click non contiguous

2. Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.: My left shift key and left ctrl keys only work for a fraction of a second.If I hold down the left shift key to capitalise a word, I barely get the first letter to capitalise I need to be quick and subsequent letters have no chance.The same goes for the left ctrl key. I need...
  3. Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.: My left shift key and left ctrl keys only work for a fraction of a second.If I hold down the left shift key to capitalise a word, I barely get the first letter to capitalise I need to be quick and subsequent letters have no chance.The same goes for the left ctrl key. I need...
  4. Why wont my shift key work for selecting non-contiguous text?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why wont my shift key work for selecting non-contiguous text?: Hi all,I've recently encountered a problem where I cannot select non-contiguous text anymore i.e word, online website etcWhen I try to do so now, for example I try to select 2 different words from a website, instead of selecting the desired word when using shift it will...
  5. Why wont my shift key work for selecting non-contiguous text?

Why wont my shift key work for selecting non-contiguous text?: Hi all,I've recently encountered a problem where I cannot select non-contiguous text anymore i.e word, online website etcWhen I try to do so now, for example I try to select 2 different words from a website, instead of selecting the desired word when using shift it will...
  6. Non functioning microphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Non functioning microphone: microphone is not working. video recording is working without audio. * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/non-functioning-microphone/b60c63ed-8832-4a9a-9fde-8da4c83a72cf
  7. Ctrl and Left Click?

Ctrl and Left Click?: When in any game, I have to hold ctrl in order to use my keyboard and left click at the same time. I'm pretty new to PC/Laptop gaming and was wondering how to change this so I don't have to hold ctrl....
  8. Non Functioning webcam

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Non Functioning webcam: I have a Packard Bell TJ64 laptop which I bought in 2010. When I try to open the webcam it gives the error code 0xA00F4244camera not attached. It is not listed in the Device Manager. According to the Program List it is a Chicory version 1.7.82.1209. The Chicory website...
  9. Troubleshooter non-functional

in Windows 10 Customization
    Troubleshooter non-functional: I just tried to run my troubleshooter, however says try again later. This is the first time I have ever seen this. Please advise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/troubleshooter-non-functional/8756885e-989a-46f3-87b5-9c8170ef89dc
  10. Network name Right Click Non-Functional

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network name Right Click Non-Functional: In Windows 7 we could right click the available wireless networks and access their Status, Properties etc. as shown below. But in Windows 8, Microsoft has taken a step backwards and either removed this convenient feature or could this be a bug? I would love to get that...