Windows 10: Ctrl + select not working

Discus and support Ctrl + select not working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When i try to select non contiguous text on chrome, pdf or other apps by holding ctrl and selecting text with left click it unselects my previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Kakashithe6thhokage, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Ctrl + select not working

When i try to select non contiguous text on chrome, pdf or other apps by holding ctrl and selecting text with left click it unselects my previous selection when i move onto the next i wish to select. The same technique works in word or file explorer though. Ctrl + A still selects all text in any app. Is there a fix or an alternative for this?

submitted by /u/Kakashithe6thhokage
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Kakashithe6thhokage, Oct 20, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Both CTRL keys not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Did you make any changes in your computer prior to this issue?

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Method 1: To check if Ctrl keys work in Onscreen keyboard.

• Press Windows Key + R and type osk and hit Enter.
    Try using Ctrl keys and check if that helps.

if you still face the issue, try Method 2.

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Oct 20, 2020
  3. CTRL Keys not working.

I tried all the above methods, but still it is not working. I noticed that the onscreen keyboard is working with the CTRL and also I tried connecting an external keyboard. That worked too. I don't understand how both the CTRL stopped working suddenly as
    I don't even use the right CTRL much.

ManthanGupta, Oct 20, 2020
  4. Ctrl + select not working

Why Windows 10 don't goes to login screen after CTRL+ALT+DELETE?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

CTRL+ALT+DELETE will open you log-in screen in Windows 10 too. I suggest you to try pressing
    Ctrl+SHIFT+Esc key and check if it opens the Task manager. If issue persist, I suggest you to try below given steps and check if it works.

This issue may occur due to some system file corruption.
    I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
      • Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

Ctrl + select not working

1. Ctrl + select not working - Similar Threads - Ctrl select working

2. Ctrl+select no longer works when I click out of the window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl+select no longer works when I click out of the window: Recently I started having really annoying problem with multiple items selection on my virtual machine.When I press ctrl and I select multiple items, and then I click out to any other window, when I come back and want to continue previous selection I am not able to.Typical...
  3. Ctrl+select no longer works when I click out of the window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ctrl+select no longer works when I click out of the window: Recently I started having really annoying problem with multiple items selection on my virtual machine.When I press ctrl and I select multiple items, and then I click out to any other window, when I come back and want to continue previous selection I am not able to.Typical...
  4. Seriously? Ctrl+ A no longer selects all?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seriously? Ctrl+ A no longer selects all?: Horrible start to using Windows 11 when I can't even use a shortcut to select all. After decades of Ctrl+ A, C, & Ving all over windows, it's just gone with no explanation? You begged me incessantly to switch to Windows 11....I damn sure knew giving in was a bad idea, & sure...
  5. Seriously? Ctrl+ A no longer selects all?

Seriously? Ctrl+ A no longer selects all?: Horrible start to using Windows 11 when I can't even use a shortcut to select all. After decades of Ctrl+ A, C, & Ving all over windows, it's just gone with no explanation? You begged me incessantly to switch to Windows 11....I damn sure knew giving in was a bad idea, & sure...
  6. notepad is using ctrl E instead of ctrl A for 'select all'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    notepad is using ctrl E instead of ctrl A for 'select all': I am on win 11, latest windows update. AT some point Notepad converted to a spanish version of the app "bloc de notas" and it is using CTRL E instead of CTRL A for "select all". I would like it to use CTRL-A, like everything else uses, I don't care if the app is english or...
  7. notepad is using ctrl E instead of ctrl A for 'select all'

notepad is using ctrl E instead of ctrl A for 'select all': I am on win 11, latest windows update. AT some point Notepad converted to a spanish version of the app "bloc de notas" and it is using CTRL E instead of CTRL A for "select all". I would like it to use CTRL-A, like everything else uses, I don't care if the app is english or...
  8. 'Ctrl + A' not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    'Ctrl + A' not working: I've been experiencing an issue with the 'Ctrl A' shortcut to select all. - Both the Ctrl and the A keys work separately but will not work together - All other shortcuts key combinations work - I've been experiencing the issue for multiple weeks and have the most...
  9. CTRL is not working to select more than 1 item - windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CTRL is not working to select more than 1 item - windows 10: I cannot select more than one item to move, delete, etc. This first started happening in emails with attached files months ago. I could only select one file to "save as" or "Save All", but I could not select more than one at a time. Now this is happening in File Explorer. In...
  10. CTRL is not work to select more than 1 item - windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CTRL is not work to select more than 1 item - windows 10: I cannot select more than one item to move, delete, etc. This first started happening in emails with attached files months ago. I could only select one file to "save as" or "Save All", but I could not select more than one at a time. Now this is happening in File Explorer. In...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Ctrl select no longer working