Windows 10: CTRL+SHIFT+8 and some others not working

Discus and support CTRL+SHIFT+8 and some others not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to find the cause of this problem: CTRL+SHIFT+8 no longer works. This is the standard key combination in MS Word and another text editor I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by franklekens, Aug 6, 2019.

1. CTRL+SHIFT+8 and some others not working

I'm trying to find the cause of this problem: CTRL+SHIFT+8 no longer works.
    This is the standard key combination in MS Word and another text editor I'm using for the command "view hidden characters" (such as spaces &c).
    I can always assign a different key combination to that function; that's not the problem.

I'm just annoyed that it won't longer work. It's obviously not an MS Word problem, since the same thing occurs in the other word processor I'm using. (And vice versa it's not a problem with that word processor.)

When I try to assign key combinations in that other word processor, I notice that there are other CTRL+SHIFT+numeral combinations that it currently doesn't respond to:
    CTR++SHIFT no longer works with 1, 3, 8 and 0.
    With 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9, it's okay. (I.e. I can a assign a function to it in my word processor, and it will work.)

That's weird. Does anybody know of something in a Windows 10 update that may have caused this?

Other software highjacking a key combination might be a cause too, of course. But I haven't installed anything recently that I'm aware of.
    It's not a hardware problem (I've tried another keyboard, same problem).

It's not a huge problem but it's so random and it worries me that I can't find the cause.
    Thanks.

:)

franklekens, Aug 6, 2019
  2. CezarGutu Win User

ctrl and shift not working

sorry that im writing without capslock but they stopped working. for some days my ctrl and shift dont work in the way they used to work and they need to work. for example ctrl c ctrl v ctrl a commands don't work. in my browser when i try to press shift
    and plus or shift and the line next to it it zooms in and out, sorry i cant show them because i can't use them like i said, also trying to shift plus letters works just on some like A, G. but for the rest of the letter it just does commands it doesnt make
    caps letters but random commands . pls i resally some help . thanks

CezarGutu, Aug 6, 2019
  3. "Shift + Ctrl + Numbers" thumbnail view shortcut in file explorer of windows 10 1511 not working

Hi Mohak,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that the Shift + Ctrl + Number shortcut fails to work on Windows 10 after update. I will certainly help you.

As initial troubleshooting, I suggest you to check other keyboard shortcuts like
    Shift + Caps Lock, Ctrl + P, Ctrl + Shift + Esc are working like it should.

Similarly check whether Shift + Ctrl + 3, 4,
    5, 6, 7, 8 keyboard shortcuts which customizes the File Explorer view are working.

Follow the below steps and check if it resolves the issue.

Step 1:

1. Right click on Start, navigate to
    Control Panel
    > File Explorer Options.

2. Click on General and View
    tab and click on Restore Defaults > Apply >
    OK

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Aug 6, 2019
  4. CTRL+SHIFT+8 and some others not working

shift and ctrl keys not working - windows 10

We can see here that you are having issues using the Shift and Ctrl keys on your keyboard. To isolate this concern, have you performed the following:

• Right-click on Start menu.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Choose Ease of Access.
    • Click on Change how your keyboard works.
    • Tick the box beside Turn on Sticky Keys.
    • Click on Apply.
    • Select OK.

If so, we suggest that you revert the computer back to its previous version. You can free up some space in your disk drive by backing up some files to an external hard drive.

Charianne Per, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

CTRL+SHIFT+8 and some others not working

1. CTRL+SHIFT+8 and some others not working - Similar Threads - CTRL+SHIFT+8 others working

2. Ctrl+Shift Shortcuts Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ctrl+Shift Shortcuts Not Working: I have been having issues with my Ctrl+Shift keybinds for months now. I have been researching on every site I can find about this issue. I've tried changing Sticky Keys, I've tried changing Filter Keys, I've tried checking my keyboard settings, I've tried changing settings in...
  3. ctrl+shift+0 not working

ctrl+shift+0 not working: backstory: hi, so i've been trying to set up a button on a drawing tablet wacom intuos s ctl-4100 to switch between brush and eraser tools in an art program paint.net. to do so, i've found a program eraser brush eyedropper hotkey by ugochi creative that uses ctrl+shift+0 as a...
  4. ctrl shift esc not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    ctrl shift esc not working: how do i fix ctrl shift esc stop working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-shift-esc-not-working/d02a0525-5c1a-4ccd-b81c-ed7ddbb7f162
  5. ctrl shift esc not working

ctrl shift esc not working: how do i fix ctrl shift esc stop working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-shift-esc-not-working/d02a0525-5c1a-4ccd-b81c-ed7ddbb7f162
  6. Ctrl + Shift + Down not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl + Shift + Down not working: Well, technically everything the same as in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/ctrl-shift-down-not-working/c639e462-e2d2-4b71-95a1-e8fe16e04fc6 except i found this issue in pycharm instead of excelthis key combination doesnt work in any app, also i didnt...
  7. CTRL - SHIFT - S not working

CTRL - SHIFT - S not working: system: win 11I use PHP storm and I try to use the keyboard shortcut CTRL-SHIFT-S, normally it would trigger save as, but it doesn't do a thing.In Edge I try to simulate CTRL-SHIFT-S, but the keycode doesn't get through, CTRL-SHIFT-A is working CTRL - SHIFT - S :...
  8. ctrl + shift + enter not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ctrl + shift + enter not working: I updated Win10 Pro today, and now ctrl+shift+enter does not open the application as admin.For example: I press the start key, type cmd then press ctrl+shift+enter and nothing happens. This affects all apps I try to launch using this method. It doesn't even launch the app...
  9. ctrl + shift + enter not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ctrl + shift + enter not working: I updated Win10 Pro today, and now ctrl+shift+enter does not open the application as admin.For example: I press the start key, type cmd then press ctrl+shift+enter and nothing happens. This affects all apps I try to launch using this method. It doesn't even launch the app...
  10. (Some) Ctrl+Shift+[key] combinations not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
    (Some) Ctrl+Shift+[key] combinations not working.: As said in the title, some Ctrl+Shift+[key] combinations don't work in my system (kind of, actually). In Notepad++, the 'Save All' keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+S) doesn't work. In Visual Studio 2017, the 'Open Project/Solution...' (Ctrl+Shift+O) doesn't work either, the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ctrl shift 8 word

2. outlook 2016 ctrl shift 8 doesnt work

3. ctrl shift 8 what happens if you press

4. ctrl shift 8 SELEZIONE