Windows 10: ctrl+shift+z is not working

Discus and support ctrl+shift+z is not working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I was using photoshop and suddenly ctrl+shift+z is not working. I have tried different software which REDO shortcut key is ctrl+shift+z but still not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by qwqwee, Oct 5, 2021.

1. qwqwee Win User

ctrl+shift+z is not working

I was using photoshop and suddenly ctrl+shift+z is not working. I have tried different software which REDO shortcut key is ctrl+shift+z but still not working. I uninstall all keyboard drivers and restart my laptop but still not working. I am sure this is not a hardware problem because my laptop keyboard and USB keyboard are both not able to activate ctrl+shift+z. But ctrl+shift+alt+z is ok. Any other key combinations are good but ctrl+shift+z is bad. I am so sad.

:)

qwqwee, Oct 5, 2021

2. Ctrl+Shift+Z shortcut unassignable

Here are the quick answers to your questions, and following, a more develop explanations.

1. Ctrl+Shift+Z is an already existing basic, known shortcut in all Adobe softwares for the "Redo" action. I am trying to use it and it’s not doing anything. Ctrl+Alt+V is a shortcut I am trying to assign to an action in the ebook conversion software Sigil.

2. Ctrl+Shift+Z for the already existing shortcut of the "Redo" action in Adobe softwares. Ctrl+Alt+V to a specific function in Sigil.

3. Ctrl+Shift+Z in all the Adobe Creative Suite, Ctrl+Alt+V in Sigil.

Actually the issue happened when I started my work on InDesign yesterday. As you must know, Ctrl+Shift+Z is a very common, basic shortcut for the "Redo" action. After that, I opened up Sigil and tried to assign Ctrl+Alt+V to a certain action, which is the
    setting I put previously in my old laptop using Windows 8.

Then, when I noticed both didn’t work, I opened a software that makes me able to remap my keyboard and assign new keystrokes, key combinations, or even macro, to a single key (SteelSeries software going with my MSI gaming laptop), and tried different key
    combinations. I saw that Ctrl+Shift+A was fully detected for exemple, but if I press Ctrl+Shift+Z or Ctrl+Alt+V, the software only detects Ctrl+Shift or Ctrl+Alt, and not the letter going to it.

Here is a screenshot of some tests I did in the SteelSeries software, testing key combinations. I tried Ctrl+Shift combined with respectively those letters, in this order: w / x / y / z

As you can see, the combinations with the W and with the Y are detected, but with the X and the Z, they aren’t. And if I tried to assigned as shortcut the combinations with the X and the Z in any software, they are also not detected.

ctrl+shift+z is not working 07108b44-c72c-41d9-b68b-4df4631b0164.png

Also, Ctrl+Alt+V is not detected anywhere as mentioned, but Shift+Ctrl+V is detected. Ctrl+Alt+Z and +X are also not detected. But any letter with only Ctrl, only Shift or only Alt are detected.

So the issue is happening in multiple softwares and seems to come from some letters not being detected when used in combination with Ctrl+Shift or Ctrl+Alt. Very weird.... I hope my explanations are clear.

AnnabelleViau, Oct 5, 2021
  3. _Roach Win User
    Ctrl+Z not working in any application Windows 10

Ctrl+Z (undo) doesn't work in any application. I.E., doesn't work in ms paint, notepad, etc.

I don't think it's a hardware issue because ctrl+c etc work, just ctrl+z doesn't work. Also, I was able to manually use Ctrl+Z as shortcuts in other applications. I tried making Ctrl+Z the shortcut for GeForce Experience Overlay and it worked fine.

Any suggestions on how to find which application might be hijacking ctrl+z?

Could it be a registry issue?

Did this hotkey lose priority somehow?

I tried starting in safe mode / clean boot and it didn't help.

_Roach, Oct 5, 2021
  4. ctrl+shift+z is not working

Ctrl+Shift+Z shortcut unassignable

Hi Annabelle,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To better assist you, please answer the following questions:

1. What exactly are you trying to use the shortcut keys for?

2. Are you trying to use the shortcut keys for a specific function?

3. Do you use the Ctrl+Shift+Z and Ctrl+Alt+V for a specific program?

Do get back to us with the response for further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Oct 5, 2021
Thema:

ctrl+shift+z is not working

1. ctrl+shift+z is not working - Similar Threads - ctrl+shift+z working

2. Windows Explorer Freezing, CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work, Cannot sign out for a few seconds!!!...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Freezing, CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work, Cannot sign out for a few seconds!!!...: I am writing a complaint that this build 22631.3447 caused problems like Many Apps Freezing so hard, I can't even CTRL+ALT+DEL or Sign Out for a few seconds! this build is a total disaster! I can't stand this issue for much longer, Please get the Microsoft Devs to rectify...
  3. Windows Explorer Freezing, CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work, Cannot sign out for a few seconds!!!...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer Freezing, CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work, Cannot sign out for a few seconds!!!...: I am writing a complaint that this build 22631.3447 caused problems like Many Apps Freezing so hard, I can't even CTRL+ALT+DEL or Sign Out for a few seconds! this build is a total disaster! I can't stand this issue for much longer, Please get the Microsoft Devs to rectify...
  4. Shift Key Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift Key Issue: Hello, I am facing a problem with my keyboard particularly in Ms Word. My keyboard is producing the wrong symbols whenever I use the shift key. For example when I use Shift + 8 it’s producing * And when I use Shift + 7 it’s producing &. How do I fix this...
  5. Shift Key Issue

Shift Key Issue: Hello, I am facing a problem with my keyboard particularly in Ms Word. My keyboard is producing the wrong symbols whenever I use the shift key. For example when I use Shift + 8 it’s producing * And when I use Shift + 7 it’s producing &. How do I fix this...
  6. Videos appear Clor shifted rainbow bloom type effect only whenever i open a video and a...

Videos appear Clor shifted rainbow bloom type effect only whenever i open a video and a...: I am currently using windows 11 and my laptop is acer nitro 5, is there any fix that can fix the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/videos-appear-clor-shifted-rainbow-bloom-type/f1e823e6-a285-42f9-880f-2736ff34b31b
  7. ctrl+shift+z is not working ANYWHERE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ctrl+shift+z is not working ANYWHERE: its fine for me for adobe softwares because i can just change the shortcut key to alternatives. but im using capcut software which i cant even change. so how. fix this now....
  8. ctrl+shift+z is not working ANYWHERE

ctrl+shift+z is not working ANYWHERE: its fine for me for adobe softwares because i can just change the shortcut key to alternatives. but im using capcut software which i cant even change. so how. fix this now....
  9. ctrl+shift+z is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ctrl+shift+z is not working: I was using photoshop and suddenly ctrl+shift+z is not working. I have tried different software which REDO shortcut key is ctrl+shift+z but still not working. I uninstall all keyboard drivers and restart my laptop but still not working. I am sure this is not a hardware...
  10. z x c v m , . Right ctrl right shift and enter key not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    z x c v m , . Right ctrl right shift and enter key not working: I have Dell Inspiron N5030 recently I have discovered that my z x c v m , . right ctrl right shift and enter keys are not working. Please Help...