Windows 10: Ctrl W not working

Discus and support Ctrl W not working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently updated my computer to Windows 11, and I was having an issue with the GameBar, where whenever I used the shortcut ctrl w, the GameBar popped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by cal :, Mar 7, 2022.

1. cal : Win User

Ctrl W not working

I recently updated my computer to Windows 11, and I was having an issue with the GameBar, where whenever I used the shortcut ctrl w, the GameBar popped up. I found a way to disable this by removing the GameBar, but now my ctrl w shortcut won't work. Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks!

:)

cal :, Mar 7, 2022
  2. Luke Win User

Ctrl + W works as if Ctrl + V... but only once

I'm having a strange issue with Ctrl + W on Windows 10.

When I press Ctrl + W, it pastes my clipboard... the first time. But if I continue to hold Ctrl, and press W again, it prints "w".

It's as if Windows "forgets" that Ctrl is being held - if I press any key, it acts as its normal key, without a Ctrl modifier.

Here's an example:

I open NotePad. My clipboard contains "Hello".

• I press W

• I hold Ctrl
    • I press W

• I press W

• I press A

• I release Ctrl

The behaviour is the same on all programs I've tested.

I've previously edited the registry keymap, but since reverted it. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout contains only (Default)

I'm trying to map Ctrl + W to close tabs in Android Studio, so any help would be appreciated.

Luke, Mar 7, 2022
  3. Luke Win User
    Ctrl + W works as if Ctrl + V... but only once

Turns out TenClips Clipboard Manager overrides Ctrl + W by default

I got my Ctrl + W back by:

• Opening TenClips settings
    • Removing the shortcut for "Paste purified text", which was set to Ctrl + W by default

Apparently these settings will be reset on reboot unless you pay for TenClips... so I am now using CopyQ

Luke, Mar 7, 2022
  4. Ctrl W not working

Ctrl W

I need to disable Ctrl W as a function that closes my web pages, I need it for work. How do I disable?

Dixiechick13, Mar 7, 2022
Thema:

Ctrl W not working

1. Ctrl W not working - Similar Threads - Ctrl working

2. My CTRL I italics shortcut is not working randomly. Everything else works fine. Tried...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My CTRL I italics shortcut is not working randomly. Everything else works fine. Tried...: Hello. A couple of weeks ago, my ctrl i shortcut randomly stopped working. I tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling keyboard drivers, updating keyboard drivers, checked for optional windows updates, and plugging in a different keyboard still doesnt work, and nothing...
  3. My CTRL I italics shortcut is not working randomly. Everything else works fine. Tried...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My CTRL I italics shortcut is not working randomly. Everything else works fine. Tried...: Hello. A couple of weeks ago, my ctrl i shortcut randomly stopped working. I tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling keyboard drivers, updating keyboard drivers, checked for optional windows updates, and plugging in a different keyboard still doesnt work, and nothing...
  4. Both Ctrl Buttons Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Both Ctrl Buttons Not Working: Yesterday morning on the train it was fine, but in the evening when I got back to the dorm both ctrl keys were not working. I did a test on the keyboard test sites on Google but it doesn't recognize the key. If it was only one of them, I would have thought it was a hardware...
  5. Ctrl+v not working in MS WhiteBoard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl+v not working in MS WhiteBoard: That's it, CTRL+V is not working in MS Whiteboard.So I can't put images to work with in my boards, or anything else.I tried to follow these instructions, not...
  6. Ctrl+v not working in MS WhiteBoard

Ctrl+v not working in MS WhiteBoard: That's it, CTRL+V is not working in MS Whiteboard.So I can't put images to work with in my boards, or anything else.I tried to follow these instructions, not...
  7. Why are my Ctrl, Windows button, and Alt keys not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my Ctrl, Windows button, and Alt keys not working?: Every other key works except for those mentioned in the question above. Has anyone else experienced this issue and how do I solve it? My keyboard is perfectly fine since I tried switching with another and the keys didn't work there either....
  8. Why are my Ctrl, Windows button, and Alt keys not working?

Why are my Ctrl, Windows button, and Alt keys not working?: Every other key works except for those mentioned in the question above. Has anyone else experienced this issue and how do I solve it? My keyboard is perfectly fine since I tried switching with another and the keys didn't work there either....
  9. Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key is not working anymore in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key is not working anymore in Windows 10: I have three monitors so that feature is very useful to me. As I was trying to use it today, I realized it wasn't working. I checked and saw that the option was still enabled. I did disable it, apply and re-enabled it. The current options show "Display pointer trails" set to...
  10. Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key is not working anymore in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key is not working anymore in Windows 10: I have three monitors so that feature is very useful to me. As I was trying to use it today, I realized it wasn't working. I checked and saw that the option was still enabled. I did disable it, apply and re-enabled it. The current options show "Display pointer trails" set to...