Windows 10: cumulative update -> boot problem on Lenovo and Dell devices

Discus and support cumulative update -> boot problem on Lenovo and Dell devices in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since summer last year, we have issues with every cumulative update from Microsoft. The update stops around 10% of our laptops and tablets. We have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DominikErdle, Feb 12, 2019.

1. cumulative update -> boot problem on Lenovo and Dell devices

Since summer last year, we have issues with every cumulative update from Microsoft. The update stops around 10% of our laptops and tablets.

We have the issue on Lenovo T480, T470, T470s, T460, T460s and on Dell tablets. This issue does not affect our desktop PC’s.

After the cumulative update, the laptop stops to boot. We experience two different versions of this issue.
    1. Laptops get stuck on a black screen with the small loading circle on the bottom, it doesn’t finish loading to display the Windows login screen. It does not freeze, but even after more than 30 minutes, it does not change.
    2. Laptop is displaying the troubleshoot menu after three failed boot attempts.

In both versions, Windows Startup repair is not able to fix the issue. We found out that if we boot up the system in Windows safe mode and keep it in the safe mode login screen for 5-10 Minutes the laptop is able to boot normally without any issue. Sometimes you can see Windows rolling back the update in safe mode before it shows the login screen.

Either after the workaround the update is installed, or we are able to install the update without any issue until MS releases the next Cumulative Update for windows.

All the systems are installed with the same custom image, but they have different Windows build versions on them (1603 up to 1803). All other Windows Updates are up to date.
    We already tried to update the Intel ME Firmware, as it looked like laptops in our test group with newer versions had fewer issues. However, this did not help us with a bigger rollout.

It doesn’t matter if we deploy the update using our WSUS or download it from Microsoft online. The first time we saw this issue was in summer 2018 and since then, we can reproduce this issue with every cumulative Update for windows.

It seems as though systems that had the problem on an earlier cumulative update are more likely to have be affected after the next cumulative update. However, there are also some systems, which only had the problem once.

Does anyone else has the same issue? If yes how do you avoid that?

:)

DominikErdle, Feb 12, 2019

2. Windows XP Error: Could not Boot after update

repairing windows will just fix any damaged files, id suggest taking off your over clocking settings the try booting in, maybe when you updated you also updated some censoring device which is now causing you a problem with your over clock settings.

jocksteeluk, Feb 12, 2019
  3. Lenovo is the Greenest Electronics Manufacturer

Greenpeace has produced a new report in which it ranks Chinese-based computer manufacturer Lenovo as the world’s most eco-friendly electronics firm, beating other environmentally friendly companies such as Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Dell and Samsung. Out of the fourteen different companies detailed in the report, Apple Inc. came last. The companies are ranked according to the amount of toxic chemicals that are used when producing their electronics, not how energy efficient the devices themselves are, something that is beginning to become a major problem in countries such as China where many of these electronic devices are manufactured. Unsurprisingly, Apple responded by saying “We disagree with Greenpeace's rating and the criteria" as part of a statement.

Here’s the list in whole, with each company’s score out of ten:
    • Lenovo – 8
    • Nokia – 7.3
    • Sony/Ericsson – 7
    • Dell – 7
    • Samsung – 6.3
    • Motorola – 6.3
    • Fujitsu/Siemens – 6
    • Hewlett Packard – 5.6
    • Acer – 5.3
    • Toshiba – 4.3
    • Sony – 4
    • LG Electronics – 3.6
    • Panasonic – 3.6
    • Apple - 2.7
    Source: BBC News

Jimmy 2004, Feb 12, 2019
  4. cumulative update -> boot problem on Lenovo and Dell devices

Unable to boot the device with error: 0xc0000428 on Windows 10

Hi Vuk,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in booting the device with 0xc0000428 error. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message along with the error code of this issue?
    • From when are you facing this issue?
    • Have you make any hardware/ software changes to your device prior to this issue?

I would like to inform that when you attempt to start a Windows 10 system, the system fails to start normally and you receive an error:
    0xc0000428 for the signed driver dlkmdldr.sys. Do confirm us if you are facing the same issue.

Try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to remove all the external devices except mouse and keyboard, hard reboot the device and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: I suggest you to boot the device by choosing the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" mode from the advanced boot menu, you would be able to boot the system to the desktop.

• Try to boot the device to Windows Recovery Environment
    • Click on Advanced options, Startup Settings
      and Restart.
    • Once the computer restarts, press F7 key to start he device on
      Disable Driver Signature Enforcement mode.
    • Check if the computer boot successfully.

Step 3: I suggest you to install the pending updates on your device after restarting the computer.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above an update us the status of this issue to assist you further accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

cumulative update -> boot problem on Lenovo and Dell devices

1. cumulative update -> boot problem on Lenovo and Dell devices - Similar Threads - cumulative update boot

2. Problems with cumulative update KB5030211

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems with cumulative update KB5030211: Update KB5030211 does not install. Neither from Windows update nor with manual download.Error code: 0x80073712 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problems-with-cumulative-update-kb5030211/7bcc1706-2543-432c-a76b-b26174a806a2
  3. boot problem in Lenovo ideapad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot problem in Lenovo ideapad: How to solve boot problem in Lenovo IdeaPad?? Tried disabling secured boot still struck in the boot page https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-problem-in-lenovo-ideapad/6bfca5b7-eef1-4d50-a22a-a9e9c4f995bd
  4. boot problem in Lenovo ideapad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot problem in Lenovo ideapad: How to solve boot problem in Lenovo IdeaPad?? Tried disabling secured boot still struck in the boot page https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-problem-in-lenovo-ideapad/6bfca5b7-eef1-4d50-a22a-a9e9c4f995bd
  5. boot problem in Lenovo ideapad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. cumulative update problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cumulative update problem: today on 15th june .... i installed cumulative update 2020 but it have problem....my laptop takes more times than usual after installing the update....seems like it is corrupted by malware or anything.....i got sure that its update problem because i uninstall this update and...
  7. Boot problems with Dell Inspiron Laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot problems with Dell Inspiron Laptop: Ok so the problems with my Dell Inspiron 5577 laptop started when it closed while performing a factory reset. Ever sonce then its been unable to boot up. Now when i turn it on it askes me to enter the system password, when i do so it just says “cannot find enabled boot...
  8. The default boot device is missing on my lenovo

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The default boot device is missing on my lenovo: http://imgur.com/a/iqzjUzz I get this message Everytime I turn it on. I disconnected my laptop to go study at my friend's house. Nothing is working, any help? submitted by /u/Scope_02 [link] [comments]...
  9. No boot device problem

in Windows 10 Support
    No boot device problem: A friend called me last night saying water was spilled on his laptop (running Windows 10) and that it would not turn (on). He brought it over and it would not power up. I said I would look at it and he left. I then lifted the lid and saw that the machine did, in fact, have...
  10. Dell Latitude e4310 boot problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell Latitude e4310 boot problem: Help, E4310 laptop, 4gig ram. On power up it starts normally with dell splash screen, goes to grey windows with rotating circle of dots. Sometimes I can hear log on music, then a white screen. When on dell splash screen I can get into boot options using F12 button. I have...