Windows 10: Cumulative Update For Windows Fails each month

Discus and support Cumulative Update For Windows Fails each month in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I am having multiple issues with the Windows Update monthly cumulative update. I have detailed the issues in another question, but unfortunately... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rml123, Aug 15, 2019.

1. rml123 Win User

Cumulative Update For Windows Fails each month

Hi

I am having multiple issues with the Windows Update monthly cumulative update.

I have detailed the issues in another question, but unfortunately the Microsoft correspondent has given up answering the queries so I have had to create a new post.

I will summarise the issues.

1) 2019-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4503293) failed 5 times with error code 0x800f0986

2) Troubleshooting failed so i was advised that waiting for the next update (2019-07) would fix the issue.

3) 2019-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4507453) succeeded but the Windows Update ignores this and continually tries to re-install the update and fails 9 times with error code 0x800f0986

4) Windows Update tries to install a different 2019-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4505903) but fails 3 times with error code 0x800f0986

5) 2019-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4512508) fails

with error code 0x800f0986

I now have the message "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes"

Attached is the Windows Update history page ...

... Cumulative Update For Windows Fails each month 4461cffb-ce8c-4f76-b876-6c0e6d1b0cc3?upload=true.jpg and here is the thread in detail

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/2019-06-cumulative-update-for-windows-10-version/12a5039f-12dd-4ad5-8b9f-2bef92a19430?tm=1560506264191

:)

rml123, Aug 15, 2019

2. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3156387) will not install

Anyone else having problems getting the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3156387) installed? This update has been failing for me & doing a failed to update after downloading & reboot, then rebooting & removing the update.

V 10.0 build 10240

broken pixel, Aug 15, 2019
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Aug 15, 2019
  4. AlistairN Win User

Windows 10 Cumulative Updates fail to install at 96%

I've had this problem for several months. Although unrelated, it first started around the time Meltdown/Spectre were discovered, which dates this problem to around January 2018.

Windows Update has been trying to install a cumulative update, but the update (which changes KB number)
    fails to install during the restart (at 96%, as the title suggests). It fails, begins rolling back the update, restarts, finishes rolling back the update, restarts, and boots into Windows where I'm promptly reminded
    to install the same update again. The whole process takes 10-15 minutes each time, and is inescapable.

I've tried many, many things, including (but not limited to):

- Full system reinstall, several times

- Manually downloading and installing the cumulative update from the Microsoft website

- Suggestions listed in
    this thread
    (in particular, the script suggested by Sumit the Microsoft MVP)

- Disable Fast Startup

- System File Check

- BIOS update

- Change graphics card

- Hiding the problem update - which only delays the problem until a new cumulative update is released the following month (and prevents me from installing any security updates)

My system is the following configuration:

Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3 motherboard

Intel Core i5 2500K

8GB RAM

128GB SSD system drive

2.5TB Storage Space (HDDs) data/application partition used exclusively by Windows

Dual-boot Arch Linux/Windows 10 Pro x64, GRUB bootloader (all on the same SSD listed above)

Please, somebody help me get out of this fresh hell.

AlistairN, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Cumulative Update For Windows Fails each month - Similar Threads - Cumulative Update Fails

2. Cumulative updates failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cumulative updates failing: Two different CU's now failing at 94% install. Have run DISM, SFC, Windows Update troubleshooter, checked Services, etc. Luckily MS reports Something Didn't go as Planned and after a number of restarts has the machine working again. Question, does downloading the Cumulative...
  3. Cumulative Update Failing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cumulative Update Failing: We have a few computers failing to update with Windows 11 cumulative updates. The troublehsooter, Windows repairs and other things have not fixed the issue. I can obviously replace the machine, wipe the problem machine and start fresh but I wanted to know if anyone had found...
  4. Windows monthly cumulative updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows monthly cumulative updates: Hi, my device has not been receiving Windows monthly updates for a couple of months. I am worried if the security of my device is in danger. Beside this case I cannot update any app through Microsoft Store.I will appreciate it if you help me out....
  5. Windows monthly cumulative updates

Windows monthly cumulative updates: Hi, my device has not been receiving Windows monthly updates for a couple of months. I am worried if the security of my device is in danger. Beside this case I cannot update any app through Microsoft Store.I will appreciate it if you help me out....
  6. Cumulative updates failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cumulative updates failed: Update failed error 0x80240034. This is consistent error and failure to Windows 10. It will fix for a month then next month you will not be able to update again. This Windows devices has a lot of improvements that needs to take specially updating their system. How can I fix...
  7. Cumulative updates failed

Cumulative updates failed: Update failed error 0x80240034. This is consistent error and failure to Windows 10. It will fix for a month then next month you will not be able to update again. This Windows devices has a lot of improvements that needs to take specially updating their system. How can I fix...
  8. Cumulative updates failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. windows cumulative update fail

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows cumulative update fail: "windows cumulative update" So I installed the latest update yesterday then suddenly as my laptop went to restart then crashed so obviously blue screen mode. It's working now but the update didn't happen. Will the update still appear in the windows update section of...
  10. Cumulative Update For Windows Fails each month

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cumulative Update For Windows Fails each month: Hi I am having multiple issues with the Windows Update monthly cumulative update and am getting the message "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes". I have previously created two threads, but unfortunately for both threads I only get responses within...