Windows 10: Cumulative Updates still installing when "Restart" button appears

Discus and support Cumulative Updates still installing when "Restart" button appears in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have noticed that since the upgrade to v2004, when you do a regular cumulative update, the "Restart" button appears before the actual installation of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnpd, Nov 14, 2020.

1. johnpd Win User

Cumulative Updates still installing when "Restart" button appears

I have noticed that since the upgrade to v2004, when you do a regular cumulative update, the "Restart" button appears before the actual installation of the cumulative update has finished. I wait until the update finishes before I do the actual restart, but I found this strange. If someone hit the restart button before the cumulative update completed, would that cause issues?

I also run a little Powershell script which lists all updates and the status for these cumulative updates now shows as "In Progress" (Status Code "1") instead of "Succeeded" (Status Code "2"). This never happened before. Is this a bug in v2004?

JohnD

Windows 10 v2004, Build 19041.630

:)

johnpd, Nov 14, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Cumulative Updates still installing when "Restart" button appears :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 14, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, Nov 14, 2020
  4. CalebDeng Win User

"Update and Shutdown/Restart" buttons keep appearing in Windows 10

I've just installed an cumulative update in my Windows 10 laptop. I didn't restart my computer as Windows Update told me, but shutdown it instead, then it installed my update. Now the shutdown button is still appearing as "Update and Shutdown", even if nothing
    about updating happenes if I click on it. How can I get rid of that? Thanks

CalebDeng, Nov 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Cumulative Updates still installing when "Restart" button appears - Similar Threads - Cumulative Updates still

2. Why does "almost time to restart" still appear after I restarted it and updated?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does "almost time to restart" still appear after I restarted it and updated?: My 9 years Satellite L55-A5226 I restared it yesterday after it appears: almost time to restart.... But after a few hours it appear it again then I restarted it. Now today for the third time, it appears again. What happens?????...
  3. Why does "almost time to restart" still appear after I restarted it and updated?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does "almost time to restart" still appear after I restarted it and updated?: My 9 years Satellite L55-A5226 I restared it yesterday after it appears: almost time to restart.... But after a few hours it appear it again then I restarted it. Now today for the third time, it appears again. What happens?????...
  4. Why does "almost time to restart" still appear after I restarted it and updated?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. When I restarted the laptop, a message about installing updates appeared.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I restarted the laptop, a message about installing updates appeared.: Hello. Today I encountered a strange problem. I decided to reboot my laptop before shutting it down since I haven't done this for a long time. But when I restarted the laptop, instead of the desktop, a black screen appeared with the message “Updates are being installed, do...
  6. When I restarted the laptop, a message about installing updates appeared.

When I restarted the laptop, a message about installing updates appeared.: Hello. Today I encountered a strange problem. I decided to reboot my laptop before shutting it down since I haven't done this for a long time. But when I restarted the laptop, instead of the desktop, a black screen appeared with the message “Updates are being installed, do...
  7. If a cumulative update is installed but machine not rebooted, would the machine still...

If a cumulative update is installed but machine not rebooted, would the machine still...: Hi teamTaking the example of the following vuln:Microsoft CVE-2023-29324: Windows MSHTML Platform Security Feature Bypass Vulnerability Solution: 2023-05 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2019 for x64-based Systems KB5026362 The KB is installed on the server via SCCM, but...
  8. Why does the "Restart now" button appear while updates are still downloading/installing?

Why does the "Restart now" button appear while updates are still downloading/installing?: Ever since installing v2004 and I run the normal 2nd Tuesday updates, the "Restart now" button appears before one or more updates usually cumulative updates are still downloading or installing. This is happening on each of my computers. This can be very confusing and possibly...
  9. Cumulative Updates still installing when "Restart" button appears

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cumulative Updates still installing when "Restart" button appears: I have noticed that since the upgrade to v2004, when you do a regular cumulative update, the "Restart" button appears before the actual installation of the cumulative update has finished. I wait until the update finishes before I do the actual restart, but I found this...
  10. When is a Cumulative Update not a Cumulative Update?

When is a Cumulative Update not a Cumulative Update?: I've just completed a clean install of Windows 10 v1809 (Build 17763.292) x64 After running Windows Update to get the latest patches, I found that it had downloaded two versions of 2019-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7.2 for Windows 10 Version...