Windows 10: Curious about my Win7 key and moving to Win10.

Discus and support Curious about my Win7 key and moving to Win10. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I currently have Windows 7 on my custom-built desktop, with a (OEM?) key that can be used up to 3 times. I have only activated it once (maybe twice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by UBE Chief, Nov 30, 2018.

1. UBE Chief Win User

Curious about my Win7 key and moving to Win10.

I currently have Windows 7 on my custom-built desktop, with a (OEM?) key that can be used up to 3 times. I have only activated it once (maybe twice after needing to replace the CPU+motherboard, no reinstallation), and I am planning to reinstall Windows 7 on the same desktop for family to use.

However, I plan to take advantage of that same key to install Windows 10 on a new build. Is that in any way possible? Having one key being used on two different OS'?

I currently don't like the idea of buying a ~$200 (CDN, includes tax) USB loaded with Win10+license if I can just reuse a key I've had for 8 years, with just one activation under its belt.

Thanks in advance!

:)

UBE Chief, Nov 30, 2018

2. Hello, can I use the win10 key to activate mny win7?

Btw, does the program u suggested me detect only the win7 key (if there is) or it should detect the win10 key as well?

Also, I upgraded from win7 to 10, so doesn't it count as "u can downgrade to win7"?

TheYoloCat, Nov 30, 2018
  3. LeoBloom Win User
    Built new computer, running unactivated Win10 Home, have Win7 Pro key

I was initially thinking of buying a Win10 Home key, but I realized I still have a Win7 Pro key I purchased that I have never upgraded to Win10 and is not currently in use.

Two questions

• Can I use the Win7 key to activate Win10 (or is that no longer an option)
    • Will Win10 Home turn into Win10 Pro (assuming I can still use key)

LeoBloom, Nov 30, 2018
  4. yasainuki Win User

Win7 to Win10 - Product key question

I'm just wondering if the product key I purchased years ago for Win7 will still be valid if I reserve Win10 and install it?

Say for example I want to have Win7 on my main studio PC (as I know all my DAWs and VST plugins work on there perfectly), but also run Win10 on my other machine, would that be possible from the same key? Or would I void the Win7 key as soon as I reserve
    and install Win10?

I rely on Win7 for work, so the last thing I want is to void my key for it.

I often reformat my system and I'd hate to do so then find out my Win7 key no longer works...

Thanks in advance!

yasainuki, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Curious about my Win7 key and moving to Win10. - Similar Threads - Curious Win7 key

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  4. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. curious about cut versus move

in Windows 10 Support
    curious about cut versus move: I have noticed that on large files move seems to be quicker that cut. I am curious what happens "under the hood". My best guess is that move creates a symbolic link without moving the file, and cut makes a new copy and deletes the old one. Am I anywhere near correct? If not,...
  6. Win7 key to reinstall Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win7 key to reinstall Win10: My PC used to run Win7 when I bought it few years ago, upgraded it to Win10 later as it was free. I would like to reinstall my windows 10 now but do I use my old Win7 product key to reinstall Win10? or is the key no longer usable at all?...
  7. Curious about this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Curious about this: Is the disk partition System Reserved the same as the system drive? submitted by /u/Jaykocravden [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hssyzb/curious_about_this/
  8. curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7: I just upgraded from Win7 to a clean install of Win10. Hardware specs are fairly high performance, using a clean boot with no startup programs for now, systems are identical other than the OS. Here are the two things that I notice that are different. On Win10 my programs...
  9. curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7

in Windows 10 Support
    curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7: I just upgraded from Win7 to a clean install of Win10. Hardware specs are fairly high performance, using a clean boot with no startup programs for now, systems are identical other than the OS. Here are the two things that I notice that are different. On Win10 my programs...
  10. Questions About Upgrading: Win7 -> Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions About Upgrading: Win7 -> Win10: I'm thinking of upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I have a few questions regarding the process and result. Essentially, my questions revolve around if I should be expecting that all my settings, applications, and documents remain identical after the upgrade process?...