Windows 10: curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7

Discus and support curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just upgraded from Win7 to a clean install of Win10. Hardware specs are fairly high performance, using a clean boot with no startup programs for now,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnhoh, Apr 23, 2019.

1. johnhoh Win User

curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7

I just upgraded from Win7 to a clean install of Win10. Hardware specs are fairly high performance, using a clean boot with no startup programs for now, systems are identical other than the OS. Here are the two things that I notice that are different.

On Win10 my programs load a tad bit quicker. What takes a second on Win7 to load takes maybe 0.5 seconds to load on Win10. This is good and I don't really need to understand why but if anyone knows why, go ahead and weigh in.

On Win10 the keyboard-repeat does not traverse as smoothly as on Win7. I use the fastest repeat rate for the keyboard. Much of my work is in editing text documents and working on spreadsheets. In each case its common for me to hold down an arrow key as the cursor screams across the page. On Win7 this happened super quickly and super smoothly. But on Win10 it stutters just a bit. To see what I mean, open up notepad. Set your keyboard repeat rate on the maximum. Press and hold the A key. You will then see 50 consecutive As in perhaps three seconds. On Win7 this happened perfectly smoothly. On Win10, I get a slight stutter, a brief pause every three quarters of a second or so. Its subtle, most people might not even not notice it. Its not a deal breaker but I would like to figure out why it is happening. If there is an easy way I could run a trace of whats happening in those few seconds on each system I would do it. Thanks.

:)

johnhoh, Apr 23, 2019
  2. johnhoh Win User

I just upgraded from Win7 to a clean install of Win10. Hardware specs are fairly high performance, using a clean boot with no startup programs for now, systems are identical other than the OS. Here are the two things that I notice that are different.

On Win10 my programs load a tad bit quicker. What takes a second on Win7 to load takes maybe 0.5 seconds to load on Win10. This is good and I don't really need to understand why but if anyone knows why, go ahead and weigh in.

On Win10 the keyboard-repeat does not traverse as smoothly as on Win7. I use the fastest repeat rate for the keyboard. Much of my work is in editing text documents and working on spreadsheets. In each case its common for me to hold down an arrow key as the cursor screams across the page. On Win7 this happened super quickly and super smoothly. But on Win10 it stutters just a bit. To see what I mean, open up notepad. Set your keyboard repeat rate on the maximum. Press and hold the A key. You will then see 50 consecutive As in perhaps three seconds. On Win7 this happened perfectly smoothly. On Win10, I get a slight stutter, a brief pause every three quarters of a second or so. Its subtle, most people might not even not notice it. Its not a deal breaker but I would like to figure out why it is happening. If there is an easy way I could run a trace of whats happening in those few seconds on each system I would do it. Thanks.

johnhoh, Jun 28, 2019
  3. Scoobydu Win User
    homegroup win10 not recognize printer & scanner on win7 computer

Thank you so much for the quick response to my problem.

my devices I am trying to access on the win7 computer are:

Printer: Stylus Photo R200

Scanner: Perfection 4180

I had these originally on my computer B4 win10 install. After the install they did not work. That is why I connected to my other win7 computer. The win7 is within my Homegroup and when I access thru win10 I get access to docs, picts, videos, etc but not
    the above devices. Reversing this, accessing my win10 computer from the win7, I get the icon my Epson Workforce 310 printer which I set up on the win7 computer for printing as well as the above devices.

Went to Epson website on the win7 comp & found the recommended driver for win7. Did the same on the win10 comp to find drivers for win10. (Did not update these drivers yet.) Apparently they have 2 different drivers dependent on WIN version. Both drivers
    are up to date.

Is it possible the drivers are not compatible and this accounts for these devices not showing up on the win10 machine? Don't know if win10 driver will work on win7. I may try to set these up on win10 machine. If work can upgrade win7 to win10.

I tried steps 1 & 2. Step 3, I know I have devices set to show on the network.

Any other suggestions/comments??

Scoobydu, Jun 28, 2019
  4. pepanee Win User

Yes. When I hold down a character in Notepad and follow it with my eyes, it does slightly jump; technically speaking, it is not as smooth as it should be, by definition.

Windows 10 runs a lot of background data. So yes, that may contribute to that.

I would suggest you to also upgrade your video card drivers. It's possible that this could help this.

But like I said earlier, there are many different aspects that are contributing to this glitchiness in Windows 10. Honestly, I don't believe you will be able to have that flow at a perfectly smooth rate.

pepanee, Jun 28, 2019
Thema:

1. curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7 - Similar Threads - curious performance differences

2. Curious about this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Curious about this: Is the disk partition System Reserved the same as the system drive? submitted by /u/Jaykocravden [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hssyzb/curious_about_this/
  3. Win10 vs Win7 performance ?!?!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 vs Win7 performance ?!?!: so today I run a benchmark and here are the results . Windows 7 home premium 64 bit [ATTACH] Windows 10 professional 64 bit [ATTACH] there is anyone who lost overall performance with windows 10?...
  4. Confused between installing win7 or win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused between installing win7 or win10: So I recently bought a new SSD and installed windows 10 pro on it (which was provided by a friend in a USB) after installing it i noticed that my fan was making a lot of noise . I cleaned it up there was some dust etc on it ig but it is still making that noise which is...
  5. Kernel Streaming and WaveRT Buffer Size - Differences between Win7 and Win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Kernel Streaming and WaveRT Buffer Size - Differences between Win7 and Win10: I use Ableton to apply a Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filter correction to Windows Sound Mapper Audio. I'm using Synchronous Audio Router (SAR) to create a synthetic ASIO sound device to capture the Sound Mapper output and route it to Ableton where the FIR filter can be...
  6. the main difference I notice between win7 and win10. Why?

in Windows 10 Support
    the main difference I notice between win7 and win10. Why?: I'm a new Win10 user and have it tweaked to look and operate like Win7. All is good. When I click on my programs in the Links Toolbar on the taskbar, the programs are loading more quickly than they used to in Win7. Same hardware, same 1/4 full samsung nvme pci-e ssd. Anyone...
  7. curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    curious about two performance differences between Win10 and Win7: I just upgraded from Win7 to a clean install of Win10. Hardware specs are fairly high performance, using a clean boot with no startup programs for now, systems are identical other than the OS. Here are the two things that I notice that are different. On Win10 my programs...
  8. Curious about my Win7 key and moving to Win10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Curious about my Win7 key and moving to Win10.: I currently have Windows 7 on my custom-built desktop, with a (OEM?) key that can be used up to 3 times. I have only activated it once (maybe twice after needing to replace the CPU+motherboard, no reinstallation), and I am planning to reinstall Windows 7 on the same desktop...
  9. Help with homegroups between two Win10 and one Win7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help with homegroups between two Win10 and one Win7: Hi I have three computers in my house that I want on a homegroup to share docs and printers. Two are on Windows 10 and one is on Windows 7. They are all on the same network. I'm having a devil of a time getting them to share stuff. Help!!!!! Thanks in advance. 66074
  10. In between Win10 and Factory Default Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In between Win10 and Factory Default Win7: I am in W7 because I became stuck after an unsuccessful restore from image. I know the error code, but I am unsure of why it failed. I am trying to get back to W10 and my head is exploding - as it is day 5. External HD works, but I can't find my backups (pst file from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 outlook performance to win7