Windows 10: Curious Problem Booting from Windows 10 Installation USB?

Discus and support Curious Problem Booting from Windows 10 Installation USB? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've just created a Windows 10 installation USB using the Media Creation Tool. I then booted it on my Windows 8.1 Pro desktop PC just to check the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Steve C, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Steve C Win User

Curious Problem Booting from Windows 10 Installation USB?

I've just created a Windows 10 installation USB using the Media Creation Tool.

I then booted it on my Windows 8.1 Pro desktop PC just to check the USB stick would boot. It booted to the first installation Windows 10 installation window as expected. I didn't want to do anything else so I just removed the USB drive and hit the PC restart button.

On restart, the PC did a chkdsk scan of drive C: and then started automatic repair for no apparent reason!

After a few minutes of watching the automatic repair rotating circle, I just powered off the PC and restarted the PC and it booted fine straight into Windows 8.1 as normal.

Why would removing the Windows 10 USB then pressing the reset button cause chkdsk to run and automatic repair to be invoked on restart?

:)

Steve C, Nov 30, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

pc got shutdown all on a sudden

Your Windows 10 is probably not corrupted, Windows 10 can normally recover from a Hard Shutdown without any adverse effects.

As long as Windows booted with no issues since the SMPS issue, then you should be OK and there is no need to Clean Install Windows 10 or perform an In-Place Upgrade . . .

Joydeep, I am curious, do you really have all these problems with your PC or are you fixing PC's for a living?

DaveM121, Nov 30, 2015
  3. Is there a webcam with built-in microphone that works with windows 10 yet??

So you booted your computer from a USB stick and formatted everything and cleanly installed Windows and visited the Dell web site and downloaded the Windows 10 supported drivers for your Dell computer and installed them?

As I said - have several older Logitech cameras I use for Skype (or my kids do) quite often with no problem with WIndows 10 on Dell and other systems.

Please, list the 31 cameras. I am curious.

Shenan Stanley, Nov 30, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Perhaps it had already begun rebuild boot files.
    You probably should have aborted the install, closing the windows then clicking 'Yes' when prompted 'Are you sure you want to quit the installation?'
    Are you booting to the USB trough the BIOS or are you opening the USB and clicking on the 'Setup.exe'?

Edwin, Nov 30, 2015
  5. Steve C Win User
    Yes, that could be the explanation but I don't feel like repeating the experiment! I booted the Windows 10 USB stick via the BIOS and selected Boot Override to boot from the USB stick. The Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard BIOS was in UEFI mode and Secure Boot was on.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Curious Problem Booting from Windows 10 Installation USB? - Similar Threads - Curious Problem Booting

2. Cannot boot Windows 10 install from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot Windows 10 install from USB: I need to reinstall Windows 10 on my system, since I gave up trying to fix the boot record and backup never worked Shame on the vendor of the software who does not follow up my support question!I have made a boot USB, but every time I try to boot the system will crash after a...
  3. Problems Booting from USB with Windows 10 Media.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems Booting from USB with Windows 10 Media.: Hello,My laptop turns on normally still, but it has problems with installing updates.When I try to reset this PC, it says there was a problem resetting this PC.I tried installing Windows Media on a 64gb USB, which works, but when I select it from the boot menu, it eventually...
  4. Problems Booting from USB with Windows 10 Media.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems Booting from USB with Windows 10 Media.: Hello,My laptop turns on normally still, but it has problems with installing updates.When I try to reset this PC, it says there was a problem resetting this PC.I tried installing Windows Media on a 64gb USB, which works, but when I select it from the boot menu, it eventually...
  5. Problems Booting from USB with Windows 10 Media.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Problems Booting from USB with Windows 10 Media on it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems Booting from USB with Windows 10 Media on it.: Hello,My laptop turns on normally still, but it has a lot of problems with installing updates. But when I try to reset this PC, it just says there were problems trying to do this.So I tried installing Windows Media on a 64gb USB. but when I select it from the boot menu, it...
  7. Problems Booting from USB with Windows 10 Media on it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems Booting from USB with Windows 10 Media on it.: Hello,My laptop turns on normally still, but it has a lot of problems with installing updates. But when I try to reset this PC, it just says there were problems trying to do this.So I tried installing Windows Media on a 64gb USB. but when I select it from the boot menu, it...
  8. Problems Booting from USB with Windows 10 Media on it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Problem Booting Windows 10 from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem Booting Windows 10 from USB: I have a HP laptop that was originally Windows 10, but I then decided to change it to Linux. I have had enough fun learning about Linux but I prefer Windows. I made a boot able Windows 10 USB like i did with Linux Mint but it didn't work. I tried it with Windows 7 and then...
  10. Installing Windows to Boot From A USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Installing Windows to Boot From A USB: Hi Guys, I want to reinstall Windows to get rid of any nasty stuff that might be lurking in the registry as I've recently picked up a long list of malware. If I use the Windows download tool to create a reinstall file, will it create a pure, original Windows file, or will it...