Windows 10: current file history is disconnected.,how to turn it on for windows 10

Discus and support current file history is disconnected.,how to turn it on for windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; wanting to do a complete backup of my windows 10 in anticipation of the "new April 2019 " windows update and have created a formatted hardrive within... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ttodd0450, Mar 23, 2019.

1. ttodd0450 Win User

current file history is disconnected.,how to turn it on for windows 10

wanting to do a complete backup of my windows 10 in anticipation of the "new April 2019 " windows update and have created a formatted hardrive within my PC .. ( read somewhere that a clean install is better than a reinstall for this model) I have currently C: drive windows 10/ D: drive old files and backups , E: drive is a 1 TB usb external hardrive that I do not want to use as the system image backup . .I want to use the D: drive which is 400 GB in size and has (available it says) 315 GB., which is more than plenty.
    I have formatted this D: drive and it is still hanging onto 119 mb of what ever (?) . .BUT this drive should do ( I think)

.. any way when I go to <control panel/system and security/file history > and go to use that drive I get this error message or warning: We cannot copy your files to this location your current file history is disconnected. reconnect the drive and try again'.

so I run a google search on that message and Microsoft directs me to JUST windows 8 help ..

Can I get help on /or for windows 10 and how to turn on file history for that drive ..?

thanks!!

:)

ttodd0450, Mar 23, 2019
  2. Mark Ole Win User

Turn on File History in Windows 10

Hi,

To address your concern, we suggest that you turn off File history then add the drive again.

To turn off File History, please follow these steps:

• Click the Start​ button, select Settings.
      Click Update & security.
    • Choose Backupand click More options.
    • See advanced settings, then click the Turn off button.
    Restart the system then turn back on File History and add the drive.

If the issue persist, run the System File Checker tool. System File Checker
    scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To run this tool, please refer to this
    link

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Mar 23, 2019
  3. TiredofFH Win User
    Turn on File History in Windows 10

Thanks for the suggestions.

The turn off button was greyed out and was unresponsive.

I had been advised to run the system file checker several time and found no problems.

In the meantime my machine has been returned to the suppler for a factory reset and is working again.

TiredofFH, Mar 23, 2019
  4. Jerry8AB Win User

File History - Does not turn off

Thanks again for your suggestion. Most of the items mentioned were mentioned in your previous post.

As I mentioned in my original post, File History shows history entries in my Task Schedule menu History listings even though I have turned it off. Now, I did notice one other entry in the History listing. The History listing said “Maintenance Mode.” So,
    I wonder if that mode reacts differently and rejects my File History Off and Task Schedule settings and lists File History listings under a different parameter. That may account for the history dates not agreeing with File History and Task Schedule dates.

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Mar 23, 2019
Thema:

1. current file history is disconnected.,how to turn it on for windows 10 - Similar Threads - current file history

2. How to turn on File History ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to turn on File History ?: From the control panel : How to turn on File History ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-file-history/5412cd2b-5ce4-4558-ba2b-5c0f6a865dbf
  3. File History Drive disconnect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Drive disconnect: Hello, I turned File History on around the 1st of march just to see what it did. Now, when I try to disconnect it Windows complains and says 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again.' I tried...
  4. how to turn on file history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to turn on file history: how to turn on file history. All my files were deleted after las windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-file-history/42b13248-9721-4299-9b97-eb212c0bbce7
  5. backup and "file history drive is disconnected"

backup and "file history drive is disconnected": Cannot backup due to "file history drive is disconnected", cannot even manual backup even though File Explorer shows external drive is active. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-file-history-drive-is-disconnected/9cf94ae3-6d24-4a02-9546-45658511b850
  6. Fix for file history disconnection

Fix for file history disconnection: Hi, What software can I download to fix my file history? I keep getting pop-ups that say the file history is disconnected. I Googled the problem but the software that came up my security protection said was on a list of unsafe sites. Any ideas? Cheers Sue...
  7. how to fix file history disconnect error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to fix file history disconnect error: how to fix file history disconnect error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-file-history-disconnect-error/4f7bc96c-9f97-49be-b123-e2168132375e"
  8. Disconnect and reconnect File History drive

Disconnect and reconnect File History drive: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...
  9. current file history is disconnected.,how to turn it on for windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    current file history is disconnected.,how to turn it on for windows 10: wanting to do a complete backup of my windows 10 in anticipation of the "new April 2019 " windows update and have created a formatted hardrive within my PC .. ( read somewhere that a clean install is better than a reinstall for this model) I have currently C: drive windows...
  10. Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of...