Windows 10: current hard drive compatible with new win 10 computer?

Discus and support current hard drive compatible with new win 10 computer? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hello just got a new dell computer that has bays for extra hard drives. I want to move a drive from my old computer to the new one. the hard drive is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by msongs, Sep 14, 2019.

1. msongs Win User

current hard drive compatible with new win 10 computer?

hello just got a new dell computer that has bays for extra hard drives. I want to move a drive from my old computer to the new one. the hard drive is a wdc wd1001fals-40u9b0 ata. I think the new computer uses sata connectors. not sure what the old hard drive is, maybe 2.5

do yu suppose this drive will work in new computer?

M. Songs

:)

msongs, Sep 14, 2019

2. Installing the Win 10 upgrade on a new hard drive

My current hard drive is really old and unstable, and I've planning to buy a new SSD for my computer. When I get the Win 10 files, will there be an option to install it on the brand new SSD without changing anything on the old hard drive? My understanding
    is that Win 10 will allow installing on a new partition on the drive where the current Windows system is installed, and it will also allow creating media for installing Win 10 at a later time, but it is not clear if the upgrade will allow keeping the current
    system and hard drive as is, and clean-installing on a brand new hard drive.

mukarakaplan, Sep 14, 2019
  3. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 14, 2019
  4. current hard drive compatible with new win 10 computer?

Installing the Win 10 upgrade on a new hard drive

I have an HP computer that recently informed me that there was "no boot disk in drive and could not read the hard drive" or words to that effect. I tried to restart several times with no success. Eventually, it did nothing; no message at all. I talked to
    several "experts" and they told me I needed to buy a new version of Win 10, another said you needed a new hard drive and install Win 10. I followed these instructions but nothing happened. The were no instructions received with the new hard drive although
    it seemed fairly simple. Win 10 came with 3 steps as follows:

1. Insert USB into device port.

2. Power on computer and configure it to boot from USB drive.

3. If prompted enter your product key.

I didn't get past Nr 2.

How do I do Nr 2 when the computer reacts to nothing.

Any ideas what is wrong.

RobertLauck, Sep 14, 2019
Thema:

current hard drive compatible with new win 10 computer?

1. current hard drive compatible with new win 10 computer? - Similar Threads - current hard drive

2. New hard drive present in Bios, not in discmanagement/win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New hard drive present in Bios, not in discmanagement/win 10: Hi, I just installed a new harddrive that doesn't show up in discmanagement/Win 10. However, my Bios has recognized the drive. How do I fix this? My search on the web so far resulted in the suggestion to remove the standard AHCI 1.0 serial ATA controlller and simply reboot....
  3. old hard drive and a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    old hard drive and a new computer: I have what I think is a basic question, but I'm not sure. I just bought a new computer. It has not yet arrived. When it does, I want to put my old SSD into the new computer because it has my programs, files, etc. My issue is that the old SSD has Windows 10 installed on...
  4. hard drive/ Win 10

hard drive/ Win 10: I have an HP touch screen laptop with a bad hard drive and wanted to install a hard drive froma Toshiba with problems but a good hard drive. I want to remove everything that has to do with Toshiba from the hard drive and load Windows 10. I had tried the Toshiba hard drive and...
  5. reinstalling Win 10 on a new Hard drive in my existing computer.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    reinstalling Win 10 on a new Hard drive in my existing computer.: My Hard drive recently crashed on my desktop computer. I replaced the drive with a new SSD. How do I reinstall the Win 10 on this new drive? Do I need a product Key? If so how do I get it? My existing license is active and I can use it on multiple computers, up to 10. I...
  6. New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10: My motherboard bios recognizes the second drive and device manager shows the drive. File manager does not. Disk Management does not show the drive. The drive is a Western Digital drive. Their Lifeguard program says the drive is working properly. It is a new drive. Presumably...
  7. new hard drive,reinstall win 10

new hard drive,reinstall win 10: I replaced a hard drive in my hp laptop.How can I reload windows 10 onto it ? I made a iso disk but can't get it to work. I changed the bootup sequence to cd/dvd first and hd second. Hope this makes sense...
  8. installing Win 10 on new hard drive

installing Win 10 on new hard drive: Hi I have a peculiar problem. recently my Lenovo G50-80 crashed. When inserting a bootable Win 10 repair/recovery flash drive, it would not boot from it even though boot order was changed accordingly in BIOS. I eventually resorted to removing the hdd, after which the...
  9. Reinstalling Win 10 on new Hard Disk Drive

Reinstalling Win 10 on new Hard Disk Drive: I am using (for some years) a Toshiba Laptop that came with pre-installed Win 8. I upgraded this to Win 10, during the free upgrade period. Because my Laptop was becoming very slow, I have just fixed a new SSD Hard Disk Drive to this Toshiba Laptop. How do I now transfer /...
  10. Hard drives and Motherboard Compatibility

Hard drives and Motherboard Compatibility: I have an Asus Z170M-E D3 and a Hardware compatibility list that I downloaded from Asus.com. My 3TB WD EZRZ isn't on that list. Does that mean I can't or shouldn't use it? 63816