Windows 10: Current remote backup service advice please!

Discus and support Current remote backup service advice please! in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm afraid i have not kept up with all the changes that keep happening; as my doctor used to say 25 years ago, i'm getting old... Though i think i am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by brucemc777, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Current remote backup service advice please!

I'm afraid i have not kept up with all the changes that keep happening; as my doctor used to say 25 years ago, i'm getting old...

Though i think i am fairly good at being careful, sooner or later i will click on the wrong thing or visit the wrong website, and even if i don't, someone in my home will, and i will get some sort of malware, the worst of my fears being ransomware.

I keep my OS and anti-malwares up to date, but the risk of loss scares the heck out of me.

I think i need an automated cloud backup as a solution, but i have found there are so many, and among them, i keep seeing comments like one-or-another "is great until you need to restore your files and then it fails", or the like.

I just want an efficient set-it-and-forget-it solution so if my files ever were corrupted for any reason, i could restore them. I have roughly 1TB of files that i am concerned with, but a little wiggle room for the future is a good thing.

I know this sort of question begs hotly debated alternatives, but as i trust the expertise of you folks, i sure would appreciate knowing what you use and then i could focus on the top several. I am sorry to say it, but i can't afford any ultimate solution, so if we could be sound and "monetarily efficient" at the same time, it would reduce stress.

I appreciate your support, very much.

Thank-you.

:)

brucemc777, Sep 12, 2019
  2. Bokenzhe Win User

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Current remote backup service advice please! [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Sep 12, 2019
  3. Windows Backup Keeps Failing with "The requested system device cannot be found. (0x80073BC3)"

Hi,

As you are facing issues with creating a backup on your device, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to check with the Windows Backup services and their dependencies to start and set it to Automatic and check if it helps.

Make sure the Windows Backup service is started and set to automatic.

Follow the below steps for the same:

• Press Windows + R keys from the keyboard to open
      Run command.
    • Type services.msc in the search box and press
      Enter
    • Search for the Windows Backup services
    • Make sure the Start-up type is Manual.

Steps to set the services to Automatic

• Right click on the service
    • If the service is stopped then Start the service
    • Select Properties
    • And in the Start-up type, select Manual.

Also, Click on the Dependencies tab, and check for the services. Start it and set it up to automatic.

Remote Procedure Call status is Started and set to Automatic. RPC Locator should be set to Manual.

Try to check the same with Volume Shadow Copy services as well.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of created a backup on your device for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 12, 2019
  4. Current remote backup service advice please!

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on
      “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy”
      double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to
      stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

Current remote backup service advice please!

1. Current remote backup service advice please! - Similar Threads - Current remote backup

2. Partition advice please

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition advice please: Hi Sometime next week I'm getting a new computer it has a 1TB HDD + 480GB SSD I assume the SSD will be the one with Windows installed So my question is how big does a windows partition need to be to future proof for updates and such 170805
  3. Advice for free backup software with incremental backup capability?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advice for free backup software with incremental backup capability?: I've tried Easeus, AOMEI, and a few others, but can't figure out how to do an incremental backup. Basically I'd like to either backup my Disk or just the files and folders on my C:/ drive, and have the ability to do an incremental backup every week or so. Easeus says free...
  4. Backup strategy advice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup strategy advice: Hi there, I would like to ask some of you for advice on how to make better backups for my Windows 10 PC. Right now I have the file history tool set up for important things like documents and such. However, there's also some stuff that I don't need to be saved in multiple...
  5. Backup Advice.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Advice.: Hi, I need some backup advice. I have a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2x4TB (RAID 1) storage and was wondering if I would need any other sort of backup device so I don't lose my valuable data? Maybe another NAS or an extra SSD 4TB? 141789
  6. My Custom Made Backup and Restore: Advice please

My Custom Made Backup and Restore: Advice please: My new computer (8 GB RAM, i5) has Windows 10, which I like, but I am having trouble getting to grips with its “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” Control Panel setup, which seems to offer many more options on what to include in a backup compared to my discarded Windows 7...
  7. Backup Advice, I'm Confused

Backup Advice, I'm Confused: Windows includes a number of backup tools. Onedrive and to an external hard drive. I've notice some go to OneDriveand others to my external hard drive. Should I use both types of back ups or just one? With earlier PC's everything was backed up to my external hard drive. If I...
  8. Backup advice for a laptop and desktop

Backup advice for a laptop and desktop: I am looking for an affordable backup system for two Windows computers. I have a laptop with Windows 10 and a desktop with Windows 7. I'd like to find a non-cloud external drive and the software to make it happen. What I'm thinking is a 2 or 4 TB drive that I could divide...
  9. Documents Backup advice

Documents Backup advice: Can anyone suggest a simple to use free programme to backup my documents folder to an external drive. Just a simple copy all documents and then any changes to the backed up folder, every hour. There seems so many to choose from and to be honest I am no computer expert and...
  10. backup tutorial/advice needed

backup tutorial/advice needed: i need to backup my complete pc as i am going to install the windows 10 preview. the trouble is that i havent got a usb hard drive. so how do i do this and what software do i use to do this? 2354