Windows 10: Current Threats point to non existent files and "start actions" never completes

Discus and support Current Threats point to non existent files and "start actions" never completes in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows defender is complaining about threats. I believe what happened is my internet cache contained a reference/copy of the coinhive script and my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by matthewdu, Apr 18, 2019.

1. matthewdu Win User

Current Threats point to non existent files and "start actions" never completes

Windows defender is complaining about threats. I believe what happened is my internet cache contained a reference/copy of the coinhive script and my backblaze backup was trying to back it up. So windows defender complains that there is several coinhive threats:

Current Threats point to non existent files and "start actions" never completes c7cc3a7d-e19f-4498-a3c9-aa230f1d2ac2?upload=true.png

If I click on the details to see what the threat is, for all of them, they point to non existent files (I wiped my internet caches and deleted/restarted the backblaze backup (see below - "affected items" don't exist anymore):

Current Threats point to non existent files and "start actions" never completes abff273b-ec36-427d-a77a-2f2e98e4e9d8?upload=true.png

If I make sure all of the items are set to the action "remove" and then click "start actions", it runs the animation for each item making it look like it's doing stuff, but it never completes and the items never actually go away:

Current Threats point to non existent files and "start actions" never completes cbb9c120-9768-45d7-9523-15e75efd4a8e?upload=true.png

The story is always the same, I let this run for a while, come back and it's back to step 1. Clicking "clear history" also doesn't seem to do anything at all.

What can/should I do?

:)

matthewdu, Apr 18, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Activity Reporting error non-existent device

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that a non-existent device is showing in the activity reporting. As you have mentioned that you have removed the device from Manage device limits for all family accounts, I suggest you to try removing the device from the child account
    and check if that helps. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to
      https://login.live.com
      with the child account.
    2. Click on Devices.
    3. Click on show details for the device that is non-existing.
    4. Click on More actions.
    5. Click on Remove PC.
    6. Click on I’m ready to remove this PC and click on
      Remove.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 18, 2019
  3. stevec# Win User
    Windows 10 multiple non-existent screens

Ernie - trouble shooting is listed in original post - but just to be sure - here is what I have tried:

1. in Advanced display settings, select one of the non-existent screens, select Disconnect this display in the Multiple Displays drop down - however the Apply button always remains greyed out so you can never complete the disconnect action.

2. Open Device Manager and list the Monitors. It shows 5 monitors listed - 4 of them are listed as Generic non-PNP. If I delete all these monitors, Display Settings still shows the multiple non-existent screens and after a restart Device Manager is again
    populated with the 5 monitors.

3. Open Regedit and search for "display" in HKLM. This lists 5 keys that look like they may be referring to the multiple screens. Deleting all these keys and then checking Display Settings again shows no change - the non-existent screens are still being
    shown as present.

4. As the laptop is dual graphics Intel/Nvidia - alternately disable one or other graphics controller. Makes no difference.

5. Install latest display driver from Intel and install. Disable Nvidia. Checking Display Settings still shows the multiple non-existent screens.

Things I have not tried so far:

1. Reverting back to a previous system restore point - there is no convenient restore point recent enough to this problem. Most recent restore point looks like it is from a date where restoring to it will lose me a number of significant changes which for
    the moment I am reluctant to do - and no idea if it will make any difference.

2. Backup my data files and restore Windows back to it's original installation state. Bit drastic also...

So - open to other ideas. Seems to me windows must be storing some monitor objects somewhere that it thinks are still valid. How do I find them and remove them?

Thanks

stevec#, Apr 18, 2019
  4. Current Threats point to non existent files and "start actions" never completes

N8 Continually Trying to Access Non-existent Access Point

Try this:

<settings>

<application settings>

<positioning>

<positioning server>

<server settings>

<1 supl.nokia.com> (touch this item)

Now you can see the second item in the list - Access Point. If it is set to your non-existent access point, change it to one of your preferred access points.

telford_mike---01, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

Current Threats point to non existent files and "start actions" never completes

1. Current Threats point to non existent files and "start actions" never completes - Similar Threads - Current Threats point

2. Current Threats found but cannot Start Actions!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Current Threats found but cannot Start Actions!: "Current Threats found but cannot Start Actions!" Windows Security recognizes a threat after running a full scan and suggests to "Start Actions". However, when I select the button, no options appear to handle the threat! Is this a dead-end situation? Is there nothing else to...
  3. Current Threats found but cannot Start Actions!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Current Threats found but cannot Start Actions!: "Current Threats found but cannot Start Actions!" Windows Security recognizes a threat after running a full scan and suggests to "Start Actions". However, when I select the button, no options appear to handle the threat! Is this a dead-end situation? Is there nothing else to...
  4. Current Threats found but cannot Start Actions!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Threats found. Start the recommended actions.

Threats found. Start the recommended actions.: Threats found. Start the recommended actions. but how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/threats-found-start-the-recommended-actions/3f6f4e9a-c25a-4c57-b1d6-4e10ec6727b1
  6. Undeletable non-existent file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Undeletable non-existent file?: Hi, I was creating a download manager on my laptop and while testing the app I managed to somehow make an undeletable file which cannot be deleted because "The system cannot find the file specified." even though it shows in file explorer and the command line.I have tried so...
  7. Undeletable non-existent file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Undeletable non-existent file?: Hi, I was creating a download manager on my laptop and while testing the app I managed to somehow make an undeletable file which cannot be deleted because "The system cannot find the file specified." even though it shows in file explorer and the command line.I have tried so...
  8. Threat found that can't be removed from a non existent file

Threat found that can't be removed from a non existent file: Hello, Windows Defender keeps giving me this warning. Please note that the file mentioned in the path doesn't exist anymore and whenever I select Actions > Remove, nothing happens. It worries me that it's "active and running" and I have no idea what to do to remove it. I...
  9. Defender constantly detects 2 threats in a non-existent drive and a non-existent folder in...

Defender constantly detects 2 threats in a non-existent drive and a non-existent folder in...: My father's laptop ceased to work recently, so he connected one of his drives to my PC, and also copied over a folder of his to my G: drive. However, now things are back to normal again, and he has also deleted the folder he copied over. Days after that, Defender still...
  10. Virus and Protection Full Scan says a threat exists start actions. Action button does nothing.

Virus and Protection Full Scan says a threat exists start actions. Action button does nothing.: I have an issue where a full scan and offline scan has been completed, finding a threat. Pressing start actions starts nothing. Threat history shows no threat. Windows defender shield stays in the red however as per snapshot. Please advise a corrective cause. This all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after doing a offline scan threat history says no recent actions

2. windows defender points to non-existent file

3. windows defender shows file that foesnt exist