Windows 10: Cursor different on second monitor

Discus and support Cursor different on second monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My cursor changes on my second monitor. Recently set up a new PC to work from home, the monitors are the same I was using with my old PC and were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KatieFoz1, Jan 12, 2021.

1. KatieFoz1 Win User

Cursor different on second monitor

My cursor changes on my second monitor. Recently set up a new PC to work from home, the monitors are the same I was using with my old PC and were working fine with that. But now, when I move it to my second monitor the cursor seems to pick up a second ghost cursor that is slightly off to the left and above the actual cursor.

The ghost cursor changes colour, as if it is bring part of the display from the other monitor with it when it crosses over.

I'm unsure if it's likely to be a problem with the mouse settings or the display setting of the second monitor. The effect is the same regardless of which monitor I set as my main display.

Can this be fixed?

:)

KatieFoz1, Jan 12, 2021
  2. APLH Win User

Cursor "cross" is transparent

Hi RR and thanks for your reply and suggestion.

Here's an update from my end:

This only happens on my laptop screen when it is plugged into a second monitor.

• If Excel is on the second monitor, then the cursor cross is white.
    • If the laptop isn't plugged into the second monitor then the cursor cross is white.
    I think the same happens on all Office applications - certainly PowerPoint as well.

From this ^^above, I doubt it is an Excel setting. Not really sure where to start looking for a fix. The issue is that it impedes the use of the application as you keep losing where the damn cursor is.

3. Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Cursor different on second monitor

windows Can't detect my second monitor

Hi Max,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are having a tough time working on the computer.

I will certainly help you to resolve the issue.

• What happens when you try to connect the second monitor?

• Do you receive any error code/message?

• Have you tried to connect the second monitor on a different port?
    I suggest you to connect second display using a different port available on your PC and check if the second display works. If second display works in other port, then the possible cause for this issue may be discrete video card driver.

Let us try the following steps, and check it helps.

Step 1: Run the Hardware and Devices
    troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select View all on the top left corner.

• Click on Hardware and Devices.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    Step 2: Update the Display Adapter.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager.

• Expand Display Adapter.

• Right click on the video driver and select
      Update Driver Software.

• Restart the computer.
    Also, see:

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

How to add and use a second monitor with Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

Cursor different on second monitor

1. Cursor different on second monitor - Similar Threads - Cursor different second

2. Can't set a different wallpaper for second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't set a different wallpaper for second monitor: Hello,When I set up a second monitor for my system, I wanted for both monitors to have different wallpapers, but when I tried to do so, I couldn't do it. All it shows is "set as desktop background" instead of "set for monitor 1" or "set for monitor 2".I didn't have multiple...
  3. Can't set a different wallpaper for second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't set a different wallpaper for second monitor: Hello,When I set up a second monitor for my system, I wanted for both monitors to have different wallpapers, but when I tried to do so, I couldn't do it. All it shows is "set as desktop background" instead of "set for monitor 1" or "set for monitor 2".I didn't have multiple...
  4. my custom cursor is too white on second monitor

my custom cursor is too white on second monitor: as my caption, my cursor is more white on second monitor but its turn normal when move to 1st monitor and back to whiter when back to 2nd monitor, like , its some white filter just for cursor on 2nd monitor . Actually its fixed when i turn on pointer trails , but i dont want...
  5. Cursor is disappearing on second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor is disappearing on second monitor: I am working on a laptop with an additional monitor and my cursor is disappearing only on the second monitor and specifically only in areas where I can type. For example: OneNote, sticky notes, and this text box that I am currently typing in. The cursor appears everywhere...
  6. Cursor is disappearing on second monitor

Cursor is disappearing on second monitor: I am working on a laptop with an additional monitor and my cursor is disappearing only on the second monitor and specifically only in areas where I can type. For example: OneNote, sticky notes, and this text box that I am currently typing in. The cursor appears everywhere...
  7. Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor

Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor: I recently got a new Alienware aw2521hf and whenever I have the 2nd monitor plugged in on startup the Alienware monitor is grey with my cursor but nothing works on the 1st monitor. If I unplug the 2nd monitor my 1st monitor will work perfectly fine.. when I go into safe mode...
  8. Cursor does not reach the second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor does not reach the second monitor: I have a Dell notebook and a monitor connected to it. After I installed Windows 11 the cursor of the mouse doesn't move from one screen to the other. Sometimes it is stuck on the laptop and sometimes it does not go out of the monitor. The mouse settings page informs there is...
  9. Cursor does not reach the second monitor

Cursor does not reach the second monitor: I have a Dell notebook and a monitor connected to it. After I installed Windows 11 the cursor of the mouse doesn't move from one screen to the other. Sometimes it is stuck on the laptop and sometimes it does not go out of the monitor. The mouse settings page informs there is...
  10. Mouse cursor different on different monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse cursor different on different monitors: I work with 3 monitors and,for no reason, the mouse cursor on the 2nd monitor changed from the arrow to a circle. I've tried mouse settings and monitor settings and nothing helps. I've re-started twice....