Windows 10: Cursor disappears in Word table cells after pasting

Discus and support Cursor disappears in Word table cells after pasting in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After pasting text into multiple table cells, the cursor disappears in all cells in the row that was pasted to. Even if the row has, for example 6... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DougTW, Aug 7, 2023.

1. DougTW Win User

Cursor disappears in Word table cells after pasting

After pasting text into multiple table cells, the cursor disappears in all cells in the row that was pasted to. Even if the row has, for example 6 cells, but I pasted into 3 cells, the cursor disappears when clicking in any of the cells in the row. The same happens if I paste into several rows at a time. The only workarounds are:Click in a cell outside that row and type something. I just hit the space bar and backspace, and the issue is resolved.Click in a different row, arrow down/up to the affected row and hit the space bar, enter text, delete current text, etc.How can I fix this permanently

:)

DougTW, Aug 7, 2023

2. Editing Word tables on Nokia Lumia 928--cursor jumps to cell other than the one that was chosen

I had an HTC trophy (WP7) and would fill in Word tables on my phone with no problem, but with the Nokia 928 (WP8), when I try to place the cursor in a cell to make an entry, the cursor ALWAYS jumps to a cell other than the one I intended. I tried it on a
    few word documents, and it happened with all of them, even in the sample Word document about pandas.

This functionality is a major issue why I chose Windows Phone, and I find this failure distressing.

BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM, Aug 7, 2023
  3. Try3 Win User
    Cannot select cells in a table after pasting.

I'm sorry I'm out of sensible ideas.

[I don't actually understand this constraint - "Due to the header and footer contents and some images on the second page we couldn't format that table".]

What you could do, but it's a lot of work, is unmerge all cells then paste the entire table in a new interim document and then paste from there into the final document.
    - If it didn't work the first time, I'd unmerge all cells then paste the entire table in an Excel spreadsheet [using Paste special, Paste text only] and then paste from there into the final Word document.
    - You'd then have a lot of formatting work to do.
    This is what I'd do in these baffling circumstances. I cannot think of anything more straightforward.

Best of luck,
    Denis

Try3, Aug 7, 2023
  4. Cursor disappears in Word table cells after pasting

Cannot select cells in a table after pasting.

Hmmm... Perhaps you are right. I will try to explain a little better. Sorry my communications skills are lacking,

I agree with you. They should not have any linkages between them. But they do. Geez, I've never had so many problems with word and excel since I upgraded to 2016.

Ok, I have the original source document which has one big table that spans two pages. Due to the header and footer contents and some images on the second page we couldn't format that table so that the document looked the way we wanted it. Several rows have their border hidden so it "looks like several tables". I'd post the document, but it contains personal information.

To solve the problem with the placement/formatting of each section of the table I highlighted a range of cells in the original document. The first row of that selection contains a merged row which we use for the day of the week. The subsequent selections contain a series of exercises to be performed by the client. (This is a Physical training program).

I then pressed CTRL-C.

Having opened a new document I pressed Enter to drop down a line. I then pressed CTRL-V to paste my selection. The selection pastes as a table. It's not positioned correctly (cells are off the page to the right). so using the + at the top left corner of the table I move it to where I want it.

I then go to the line after the table and press Enter to add another blank line in the document. I am definately ourside the table when I add this blank line.

I then go back to the source document, highlight the next range of cells and press CTRL-C.

I then go back to the new document and insert the content with CTRL-V after the blank line I had added previously. Again, a table is created with some of the content off the page to the right. So using + at the top left of the table I drag it to where I want it positioned.

At this point I have two (what should be) independent tables. But they appear to be linked somehow. If I select any column in the top table the same column in the bottom table will be selected and I cannot edit any cells.

So I tried again with multiple blank lines between tables. Same outcome.

I turned on the display of all formatting marks but there is nothing there that I would not expect to see. Nothing that indicated any link or relationship between the two sets of pasted data.

Wobitancrawfodi, Aug 7, 2023
Thema:

Cursor disappears in Word table cells after pasting

1. Cursor disappears in Word table cells after pasting - Similar Threads - Cursor disappears Word

2. Windows 11 problem with copy & paste in table using Word 2013

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 problem with copy & paste in table using Word 2013: What is happening?After copying text from one word document to another - some of the text is not showing on preview or printing .If I don’t copy and paste into the first row of the table it is ok – i.e. if I type into it not pasteIf I don’t copy and paste into the first...
  3. Windows 11 problem with copy & paste in table using Word 2013

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 problem with copy & paste in table using Word 2013: What is happening?After copying text from one word document to another - some of the text is not showing on preview or printing .If I don’t copy and paste into the first row of the table it is ok – i.e. if I type into it not pasteIf I don’t copy and paste into the first...
  4. Cursor disappears in Word table cells after pasting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor disappears in Word table cells after pasting: After pasting text into multiple table cells, the cursor disappears in all cells in the row that was pasted to. Even if the row has, for example 6 cells, but I pasted into 3 cells, the cursor disappears when clicking in any of the cells in the row. The same happens if I paste...
  5. Cursor disappears in Word table cells after pasting

Cursor disappears in Word table cells after pasting: After pasting text into multiple table cells, the cursor disappears in all cells in the row that was pasted to. Even if the row has, for example 6 cells, but I pasted into 3 cells, the cursor disappears when clicking in any of the cells in the row. The same happens if I paste...
  6. Working with tables in MS Word.

Working with tables in MS Word.: I was going to create a doc file with tables and ultimately output a webpage. But getting the table to the dimensions I want is tricky or impossible. By default it looks like the table's width is about 1/3 of the page. I managed to center the table in the page. But when I...
  7. cursor keeps disappearing and reappearing in the middle of a word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cursor keeps disappearing and reappearing in the middle of a word: My cursor keeps slipping away and reapearing in the middle of a preaviously typed word. I tried all possible hacks and solutions on internet, without succes. Somebody an original solution ? The problem drives me nuts!...
  8. cursor keeps disappearing and reappearing in the middle of a word

cursor keeps disappearing and reappearing in the middle of a word: My cursor keeps slipping away and reapearing in the middle of a preaviously typed word. I tried all possible hacks and solutions on internet, without succes. Somebody an original solution ? The problem drives me nuts!...
  9. How to rotate a table on Word

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to rotate a table on Word: I read this article how to rotate a table in Word on Enhau because I was facing difficulty in rotating the table in Microsoft word but the article is too technical for me. So can anyone explain me in easy words?...
  10. Words disappearing when pasting into posts

Words disappearing when pasting into posts: Curious if anybody else has whole words disappearing when pasting into posts. So I type everything in word 1st then pasting in my posts. I do this because sometimes my post disappears before I have a chance to actually post it if I accidentally hit the enter key and Facebook...