Windows 10: Cursor freezes only when NO GAMES are running on my laptop.

Discus and support Cursor freezes only when NO GAMES are running on my laptop. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm currently working and gaming on an Alienware 17 r5 (i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070). For the past couple of months, I've had a really strange issue.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mmmmorepudding, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Cursor freezes only when NO GAMES are running on my laptop.

I'm currently working and gaming on an Alienware 17 r5 (i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070).

For the past couple of months, I've had a really strange issue. If I'm using my PC for anything other than gaming, whether it's checking emails, browsing the web, or editing music, my cursor will randomly freeze for 5-30 seconds multiple times a minute. When the cursor is frozen, I can't click, right-click, scroll etc. I am still able to use my keyboard without any issues.

This does NOT happen while I have a game open, even if I'm not playing it. In order to get work done, I have to have a game running in the background on my PC, so literally 100% of the time now, I either have Warframe or FFXIV running while I'm doing other things. This is obviously causing me problems when rendering music or video files as resources are being used by the games.

I'm currently using a Logitech G502 RGB mouse, along with a Logitech G13 keypad and EagleTec mechanical keyboard. I suspected that the Logitech Gaming Software was just bugging out, but my keypad still works even when the mouse doesn't. I've been in IT for 16 years, and this is the first time I've ever seen an issue like this. I'm at my wit's end, and would really appreciate some help if anyone has ever experienced or witnessed anything like this before.

submitted by /u/mmmmorepudding
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mmmmorepudding, Aug 15, 2020
  2. LexGrant Win User

Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement

Hi,

The cursor on my laptop freezes every few seconds when I move it. This happens with both my bluetooth mouse and my inbuilt touchpad. I know the laptop is freezing and not just the cursor because if I run an app with a progress bar it also freezes at the same time as the cursor. The freezing only seems to happen when I move the cursor.

The freezing is just momentary (like it pauses for a second and then goes on as normal). I do not have to do anything to get it to unfreeze.

I have tried re-installing the drivers for mouse and touch pad.

I have defragged and cleaned up the HD.

I have tried doing a system restore but just get an error (I only have 1 restore point because I stupidly deleted them to create space I didnt need in case it was a space issue).

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

LexGrant, Aug 15, 2020
  3. Hanging cursor

Hi,

There are several reasons why the cursor doesn't respond. One of which is due to a faulty pointing device. To isolate the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Does the whole system freeze or just the cursor?
    • Are you using the laptop's touchpad or an external pointing device?
    • Were there any changes made to your laptop prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Katrina Men, Aug 15, 2020
  4. Marby Rey Win User

Cursor freezes only when NO GAMES are running on my laptop.

Marby Rey, Aug 15, 2020
Thema:

Cursor freezes only when NO GAMES are running on my laptop.

1. Cursor freezes only when NO GAMES are running on my laptop. - Similar Threads - Cursor freezes GAMES

2. My pc keeps crashing only when running games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc keeps crashing only when running games: The pc only crashes running games... I did a ddu unistall in safe mode, problem still persists. Can someone assist? I saved the mini dump files....
  3. My pc keeps crashing only when running games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc keeps crashing only when running games: The pc only crashes running games... I did a ddu unistall in safe mode, problem still persists. Can someone assist? I saved the mini dump files....
  4. My PC freezes only when playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC freezes only when playing games: Hello everyone,I've had this problem since I installed Windows 10 on my pc where my PC completely freezes when playing any game after 20 minutes or less into the game.My CPU ram and disk usage all seem fine in the task manager, and all my drivers are up to date but there is a...
  5. My PC freezes only when playing games

My PC freezes only when playing games: Hello everyone,I've had this problem since I installed Windows 10 on my pc where my PC completely freezes when playing any game after 20 minutes or less into the game.My CPU ram and disk usage all seem fine in the task manager, and all my drivers are up to date but there is a...
  6. My PC freezes only when playing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Gaming PC freezes only when idle.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gaming PC freezes only when idle.: Ever since I've gotten my current PC I've had an issue. The machine plays games perfectly and I've had no issues playing games at maxed out settings.However, the problem with this PC is that it will just randomly freeze when IDLE. The PC has never frozen when I'm playing a...
  8. Gaming PC freezes only when idle.

Gaming PC freezes only when idle.: Ever since I've gotten my current PC I've had an issue. The machine plays games perfectly and I've had no issues playing games at maxed out settings.However, the problem with this PC is that it will just randomly freeze when IDLE. The PC has never frozen when I'm playing a...
  9. Gaming PC freezes only when idle.

10. Laptop Generic freeze only while running on battery.

Laptop Generic freeze only while running on battery.: Hi there, I always keep my windows updated with the latest updates. ( Windows 10 1903 ). For the past 2 to 3 weeks , my laptop pauses in between a couple of seconds and then comes back to normal. ONLY WHILE RUNNING ON BATTERY. ESPECIALLY WHILE WATCHING VIDEOS OR PLAYING...